SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I used to shoot a lot. I would make weekday trips to the range for fun. Then I started shooting matches and I would make weekday trips to the range to practice, setting up my own courses. I would go through hundreds of rounds without a second thought.

As the kids got out of diapers and my life started to revolve around them more, shooting went by the wayside. I think I have shot one match in the last 5 years and I could count on one hand the number of trips to the range during that time.

I have seen the posts about high ammo prices, but since I have not been shooting, I did not pay much attention. But after seeing the 500 round 9mm karma, and the 9mm group buy, I decided to actually do a little research and see what current prices are.

Holy crap!!! $.85 per round in the group buy, and $1.10-$1.20 per round for 9mm ammo that I could buy now.

I had to ask myself, if I had to purchase ammo at those prices, would I get back into or continue to shoot? And I was surprised that I quickly answered no. I would not even consider loading my P226 magazine, which I have in 15, 17 and 20 round versions and blowing through $18-$24 ammo in a string while double tapping a row of steel plates or punching holes in various USPSA cardboard targets.

I am sure everyone has curtailed the amount they shoot because of this. But have you given it up completely? And do you see ever returning if prices do not return to some semblance of normal?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I reload and it's 6.00 dollars for a 50 rd box, I can shoot a few years on what I have.

I wouldn't begin to pay what they are asking for ammo at todays prices. I have a few boxes or factory ammo for self defense. so I have no reason to even look for that.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I have altered my shooting routine, I shoot a lot more rimfire now (I have 30-40 thousand .22 rounds, around 5K 17HMR). I picked up a 365 SAS last week and put about 150 rounds thru it function testing it and did not blink an eye.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Not entirely, but I sure don't go as much as I used to.

Posts: 3662 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons that I started the group buy was my frustration with price gouging and unavailability of ammo. .85/round shipped is steeper than I ever thought it would go, and that’s selling it at cost (with shipping). I’ve got quite a bit laid in but I’m really concerned that it all keep going higher over the next couple months and that ammo will become more and more scarce as hoarders and larger outfits buy it up.

I haven’t been stingy with my 9mm or but am shooting my .22 Volquartsen a lot more...

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t find any ammo in 9 mm or 5.56 at any price so I’ve basically given up. I can’t do 85 cents per round, at least not enough to shoot regularly. Regardless I haven’t even found it available at any price. I have a bit of .22 so I get out every few months with that. But I’m very low there now too. It sucks.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loaded deep, but cold weather is curbing our shooting. This summer we have plans to get everybody shooting, even the kids!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't typically been an active shooter - probably 4-5 times per year. I am stacked pretty deep so I wouldn't hesitate to go and use up 300-500 rounds on a Saturday. But I listened to Para when he told us to stock up. I also shoot a lot of rimfire and I am really stacked deep in that. My Dad also reloads and has plenty of supplies and like to keep busy so he also has plenty.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have around 150 rounds of 9mm. I didn’t think prices would get this bad. I cannot or choose to not purchase 9mm at 85 cents a round. I probably could, but I would forego doing a lot of other things I enjoy in life. I have a couple thousand rounds of .22. Back before Sandy Hook I was buying bricks at Surplus Ammo for some ridiculously low price. Being that I have a bolt action .22, that’ll last a long time, it’s all I shoot anymore.
I have enough 9mm to protect myself and my home for a few minutes.

So yes, I have given up shooting what I like, because of availability.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I hesitated buying up some .45 auto ball and someone else nailed it. Pricey too. The 10mm still sits there at $37.00 per box, 180 gn Sig branded. I dont reload now but that hobby makes for a lot of quality ammo at a low price. Another aspect of what has changed for me are Club Memberships in the $300 to $400.00 annual. My outdoor ranges only charged and still do, $35.00 a year. The one indoor range I enjoyed was $95.00 per year and your targets were free. You did sign in and put $1.00 in a lock box every visit. The local big box stores charge $16.00 per hour to shoot. They frown on reloads. I would never pay 16 bucks for a hour. Nor would I lay out 3 to 4 hundred for a Membership.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I haven’t given it up but it’s definitely on hold for a while...I have some ammo, but not enough that I’m willing to burn through it.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Took a class a few months back, aside from that I haven't been a shooter in a long time.

I lost most of the enthusiasm I had for the shooting life a few years ago, and current ammo prices are the clincher. I'm done buying until they re-enter the atmosphere. If they never do then I'll probably die with the vast majority of the ammo I have right now.

Where I live it is much more likely I'll end as a victim of cancer and/or dementia than violent crime. Honestly, I'll probably only need one bullet when my time comes and hopefully I'll still remember how to shoot it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Sort of. I have a decent amount of ammo, but I don't usually go shooting alone, and my buddies are the ones that don't have a lot of ammo available to them—therefore, I don't go out as often.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Still try to go once a month but my ammo burn per visit is cut in half. Also need to shift to more .22 action as I'm well stocked in .22s

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have ammo but haven't been shooting much. To costly right now to replenish.
When I do go shooting I make sure I'm getting something out of it and not just doing mag dumps.
I've been only loading 5 rounds to get mag changes in and try to stretch it out a bit.

Been trading ammo that I did stock up on from Targetsports when HST and Gold Dots were on sale for $18 a box delivered.
Last trade was 100 147Gn HST for 200 Blazer Brass .45
I've reached my limit on trading anymore though.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am in pretty good shape ammo wise and I try to get to the range about once a month but instead of shooting 3-5 boxes of center fire pistol ammo it is about 2 boxes for now and more 22 LR being fired. So glad I bought my Browning Buckmark Camper when they were cheapest I had seen them in years late 2019 because now every gun store I go into hardly has any 22 LR pistols.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Entirely, yes.

I’ve got an air rifle and have wanted to snag some others just for practice, but I’m not even really using the one I have, so whatever.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I only shot around 4K in the last year. Until yesterday. Shot about 1k over the last two days in a class. It felt good.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I have given up shooting, not wanting to be empty handed.

Pretty much done waiting and going to shoot through my 9mm this weekend and not worry about it.

Time to try and enjoy life again, then worry about what I don’t have later.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I am satisfied with my stocks for reloading everything I shoot for a great long while. Except 9mm, I never entertained the idea of reloading and was negligent. Don't even have dies. Or ammo. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post