SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LAPD Bomb Squad blows up bomb truck with illegal fireworks***updated it was over loaded***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAPD Bomb Squad blows up bomb truck with illegal fireworks***updated it was over loaded*** Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Doing it right...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I was under the assumption that those purpose built eod trucks/trailers were designed to contain an accidental explosion while in transit as opposed to being used to purposely detonate material inside of them.

Me too.

In the case of a powerful enough explosive, wouldn't a 'containment vessel' just become a bomb casing and make an explosion potentially more powerful? It was my understanding that that (and shrapnel) was the general idea with pipe and pressure cooker bombs.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I watched some videos of the vessels being tested and they actually release the pressure of the explosion.... over a minute or two. the larger ones of these are supposed to be able to contain the explosion of up to 22lbs of TNT. Now I'm wondering if the LA units venting system failed.... making it just part of the bomb.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'We're from the government we're here to help... Step aside while we blow up your neighborhood.'

------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Detonating this in a populated neighborhood is an obvious blunder, especially if there was no immediate risk or urgency. (which it doesn't sound like there was) Those containment units have wheels on them for a reason.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herer are some details on the Donovan Blast Chamber that was designed for toxic chemical munitions with fillers like mustard or phosgene.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a425237.pdf

I have no idea what LAPD was using.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There was some shit in there they didn't count on.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody just wanted a new truck. Hmmmm... Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm: Now I'm wondering if the LA units venting system failed.... making it just part of the bomb.

That was my thoughts

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the door mechanism failed, or there was a flaw in the steel used in the sphere. Or perhaps there was more boom than the boombox could handle.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"Officers also found improvised explosive devices with simple fuses — about 40 the size of Coke cans and 200 smaller objects of similar construction — and conducted X-rays to determine their contents.

Less than 10 pounds of the devices were transferred into a semitruck, which Moore said was rated, with its outer containment shell, to handle 18 pounds."
LA Times

Less than 10 pounds of Coke can size explosives with a fuse blows up a bomb disposal truck? WTF? Did they think it was tannerite?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what the "IED"s were. Was he just making big M80s with flash powder, or did he have something more powerful in the house.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Probably included an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator in all that mess. Big Grin

Eeeeh....blow up de oit?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm curious what the "IED"s were. Was he just making big M80s with flash powder, or did he have something more powerful in the house.

I doubt he was "making" anything; he was a bootleg importer/reseller of commercial fireworks. The "IED's" were probably firework mortar shells. You see/hear these in every fireworks show. He had 5K# of commercial fireworks stacked on his patio. My god.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
"Officers also found improvised explosive devices with simple fuses — about 40 the size of Coke cans and 200 smaller objects of similar construction — and conducted X-rays to determine their contents.

Less than 10 pounds of the devices were transferred into a semitruck, which Moore said was rated, with its outer containment shell, to handle 18 pounds."
LA Times

Less than 10 pounds of Coke can size explosives with a fuse blows up a bomb disposal truck? WTF? Did they think it was tannerite?

Another possibility that hasn't been considered....the containment vessel was not built to spec.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Capacity of 18lbs of what? Sand, Black powder, ANFO, C4?

Are they inspected after defeating a charge? How often? How many charges of a given size can one tolerate before it fails?

343 - Never Forget

posted Hide Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story...xplosion/8022716002/

42lbs of explosives in a container rated for 25 lb one time use or 15 lb multiple use. Bomb squad guesstimated the weight at 16.5 lbs

Some of the fireworks were leaking and they deemed them not safe for transportation and were intentionally detonated.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Los Angeles chapter of Black Lives Matter and other organizations will have their own news conference on Tuesday to demand more answers and reparations for the residents who were hurt in the blast. Some victims have filed legal claims – the precursor to lawsuits – against the city.

How about you guys sue the asshole who's house was where all the explosives were found in?

I know, I know, Arturo Ceja, 26 probably has very little to his name.... Roll Eyes

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Sounds like simple incompetence, the Bomb squad should have every member replaced or at least ALL the supervisors and training personnel replaced and officers re-trained.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post