SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Do you carry CCW / Self-Defense Insurance / Policy Protection?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Do you carry CCW / Self-Defense Insurance / Policy Protection? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I just want to get a feel for this group's use or non-use of self-defense legal protection. The reason for my question is now I have the liberty to consider it while I'm waiting for my CCW permit.

Yes, I took a training class after the CCW one. The actual shooting class made me realize the manual safety on my Sig P365XL was not the optimal choice. (We live and learn.)

If you carry it, what's your number one reason for paying for it?

If you don't have it, what's your number one reason for not having it?

Question:
Do you carry CCW / Self-Defense Insurance / Policy Protection, yes or no?

Choices:
Yes
No

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Not something I feel is necessary.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Not something I feel is necessary.

My sentiments exactly.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Insurance . Even a " good shoot " can cost you a ton of money to defend in Court . Some states offer you legal protection from civil suits if you are not charged or found innocent . Mine does not .

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have a personal liability policy that makes CCW insurance redundant.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
Does it cover legal fees , bond , etc. ?

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
CCW Insurance and Self-Defense Legal Protection are two different things....Liability Insurance vs. Legal Defense services.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
basically self-insured

so the answer is no

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
voted yes. I t is hugely unlikely that I will ever need it. If I need it and don't have it I could very well be bankrupt. Last summer I had to go to Seattle several times for medical reasons and I was glad to have it. I didn't need it, just knowing and so forth.

It's cheap besides.

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the area I live in I don't deem it necessary.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
Does it cover legal fees , bond , etc. ?

Right. Its not the issue of you being sued civilly. Will your personal liability pay for your legal defense if you are criminally charged after a shooting incident. Think George Zimmerman type case.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it depends on where you live.

If you live where local prosecutors are anti-gun/concealed carry, then even in a "good" shoot, you can expect some issues. Having an attorney on retainer or some form of self defense insurance might be prudent.

Now, if you live where the people believe in being law-abiding and support the right to defend ones self, then it is not that critical.

Again, where you live/political climate will be the deciding factor.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
No.

1. It's not insurance, in spite of what the sellers try to imply. When someone tries to misrepresent what they are selling, I get extra cautious.

2. As a general rule, I consider it a defective product.

3. I've seen people ask on a number of forums, including here, for anyone that has used (not just bought) this product or has direct knowledge of someone they know that has used it. So far, no one has.

4. I have tried to educate myself on use of force law and it's practical application and read many court decisions to get an idea of how it's applied in the real world. I'm not a lawyer but try to know as much as I can to help guide me and realize my limitations in that area.

5. I am old enough to have learned to practice a few habits that I think serve me well as a firearms carrier.

6.I am not someone with a bad temperament that tend to get me into confrontations and don't knowingly associate others or places where I am likely to have an enhanced risk to my personal safety.

7. I have made a conscious effort to raise my situational awareness to a much higher level than I had before becoming a regular carrier.

8. I live and rarely travel to any area where local police and prosecutors have a pro-criminal or anti-gun mentality. The few occasions I do, I can't carry there anyway.

With those and other practices in place, I feel the risk/reward ratio of the one or two somewhat legitimate products this refers to are not a good value to me.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nope. I heard this snake oil best explained as your cars extended warranty.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
No.

1. It's not insurance, in spite of what the sellers try to imply. When someone tries to misrepresent what they are selling, I get extra cautious.

2. As a general rule, I consider it a defective product.

3. I've seen people ask on a number of forums, including here, for anyone that has used (not just bought) this product or has direct knowledge of someone they know that has used it. So far, no one has.

4. I have tried to educate myself on use of force law and it's practical application and read many court decisions to get an idea of how it's applied in the real world. I'm not a lawyer but try to know as much as I can to help guide me and realize my limitations in that area.

5. I am old enough to have learned to practice a few habits that I think serve me well as a firearms carrier.

6.I am not someone with a bad temperament that tend to get me into confrontations and don't knowingly associate others or places where I am likely to have an enhanced risk to my personal safety.

7. I have made a conscious effort to raise my situational awareness to a much higher level than I had before becoming a regular carrier.

8. I live and rarely travel to any area where local police and prosecutors have a pro-criminal or anti-gun mentality. The few occasions I do, I can't carry there anyway.

With those and other practices in place, I feel the risk/reward ratio of the one or two somewhat legitimate products this refers to are not a good value to me.

Very well thought out reply.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I do not

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Nope.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Think George Zimmerman type case.

Here’s the thing, if I look at a thing, and I ask “would an idiot do that?”, and the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

That sage advice really negates the need for this type of stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
I do. USCCA. Its costs a dollar a day. I wouldnt bother with it if I thought my legal right to self defense would be defended or upheld by prosecutors, judges or courts. It would seem that many in these positions would regard me as some type of criminal if I had to act to protect my safety.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, Texas Law Shield ... have for many years and hope never to have to need it.
Definitely not snake oil Roll Eyes but I understand if you prefer to take any legal risk on your own.
It's a personal decision.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post