SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma Question - 2WD or 4WD?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma Question - 2WD or 4WD? Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
The interwebs are all over the place on this. I’m looking at buying a Taco, and the question comes up, buy a 2WD or 4WD? I’m not an off-roader per se, and I might use 4WD only occasionally. No snow or stuff like that here in Florida. Gas mileage difference is pretty small. My thoughts are it would come in handy if you get stuck somewhere. I don’t think it’s useful at all on paved roads.

What are your thoughts on this issue? I’m thinking I probably don’t need 4WD, but should I buy it anyway? Taco owners, I’m particularly interested in hearing your opinions.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Do you ever pull boats out of the water? If not, stick with 2wd.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Do you ever pull boats out of the water? If not, stick with 2wd.

Same. AWD or 4WD is almost a requirement for a boat ramp if it’s slick, moss, etc. My ramp I use always has algae or some sort of greenery slimed all over the bottom of the ramp.

But OP, I like your thinking. Many just buy a vehicle based on image or some feature or function it has that they will never, ever, use. On the pavement you are correct, just not needed. You have to ask yourself if you will ever travel somewhere in it where you could need 4wd, like say North Carolina in the mountains or something. If you just need a bed and it’s going to be a pavement truck, man I can tell you my AWD Ridgeline is tattays. It does light off road stuff extremely well too as I just recently tested it in the mountains on some national forest roads. There is also the Ford Maverick, where the hybrid is pretty good.

If dead set on Yota and the Taco, I think you’d be fine with RWD only.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I have no idea why anyone would own a truck and NOT have 4wd...

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Where I live we have an average of 4 snow days a year that 4WD is nice. Even without that, I would buy the 4WD as resale is a breeze. You have to find someone that doesn’t care to sell a RWD. Gas mileage difference between the two is minor.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
4WD always.
Owned a 2WD once and won’t bother again.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Resale requires 4WD

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I don’t plan on pulling a boat. I don’t even own a boat. If I ever have the scratch to get a boat, I’ll spring for the truck I need to haul it.

I’ve thought about a Ridgeline - we’ve owned Accords and I drove a Pilot for ten years. Just don’t want to get back into Hondas. I just want a small truck to tool around in. Tacos are appealing. They’re popular for good reason.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - resale should be better.

Sold mine (4wd, king cab, manual trans, v6) in 2014. It was a 2001 model with 196k miles. Good shape, needed one rocker panel to be perfect. Got something like 7k for it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have no use for 4wd don't spend the extra on it, 2wd will get better MPG and less maintenance.
That said, 4MUL8R is right about the resale.
You can sell a 2wd Tacoma up north, but good luck with a Chevy or Ford

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 314 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
I’ve thought about a Ridgeline - we’ve owned Accords and I drove a Pilot for ten years. Just don’t want to get back into Hondas. I just want a small truck to tool around in. Tacos are appealing. They’re popular for good reason.

From what I've seen on review videos and read, the Ridgeline rides more like a large crossover than a truck, more comfortable but can't do truck stuff as well as the Taco.

What doesn't appeal to me about the Taco is that it still has drum brakes in the rear. Toyota claims it's for offroading, that debris won't get stuck in there. I call bullshit on that because Toyota is always slow to put the latest technology in their vehicles.

I'm looking at getting a midsize truck myself next year but I'm leaning Ranger as I will be towing a double axle 6'x12' trailer.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I faced this choice in 2019. Bought the 4WD. As stated above: Resale value.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had a 2wd truck that I put 127,000 miles on and currently have a 4wd truck I’m closing in on 140,000 miles with. 4wd maybe 8 times; all while towing a travel trailer, 5th wheel, or boat. 5 of them could have been avoided with proper planning on my part.

Other than a boat ramp, you won’t ever use it on pavement in Florida.

The better resale argument maybe true when buying new. 4wd might not lose as much value percentage wise as 2wd, but that works to your advantage if buying used. I’ve never cared about resale value as I drive them into the ground.

AWD is a different story. If I were looking at a Ridgeline, then I’d get AWD. I think it’s better in an absolute downpour. I’d rather drive my wife’s Explorer ST with AWD in the rain than my F350.

If I lived where it snowed, I’d get 4wd. I lived in Wisconsin for 20 years and drove rwd, fwd, and 4wd. I managed fine in winter with each, but 4wd was better.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm not really seeing much downside to getting the 4x4. My 2016 TRD is the Off Road 4x4 model.

Why limit your options?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:

Like getting a wife that doesn't cook and clean...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've had both 2WD and 4WD Tacomas. We don't get much snow here in North Texas but do sometimes. I had occasion to use 4WD after a snow storm and it was great. Others where slipping and sliding to move at intersections and I just pulled away like I was on dry pavement. I don't off road to off road but rather go off the beaten path to get somewhere I want to go. Dirt roads and the like. 4WD makes me feel more confident, yet I could probably negotiate most of my mild adventures with 2WD.

So, resale will favor the 4WD, and there is so little difference in MPG it's a non factor. And then there's other things that come with the 4WD other than power to all wheels that make it a more aggressive truck. 4WD is what I did on my last Tacoma and I have no greats.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:

Like getting a wife that doesn't cook and clean...

Good analogy!

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
drove a 1st gen Tundra thru the snow for a season with a broken 4 wheel drive,

never got stuck,

fixed it and have used it a few times since,

it is worth the extra weight, if you are in snow country,

in FLa et,, maybe not,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
4WD has much better resale value. Not even close.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Living and mostly driving in FL I'd probably go 2WD. But if you think you may travel north in Winter or take the truck on forest roads for exploring or camping, go with 4WD. By the time you factor 4WD's higher resale it won't cost much more to own.
A word of caution on Tacoma is make sure you sit in one, preferably drive it for an hour because they're not comfortable for lot of people. I loved my T100 and Tundra but found the Tacoma with its low seat and feet straight forward to be horribly uncomfortable after an hour. Another one you might look at is the new Frontier.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post