SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago may start suing gang members for damages
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago may start suing gang members for damages Login/Join 
posted
They think this will work???

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago is poised to embark on a new strategy to attack the gangs that are responsible for much of the gun violence in the city: Sue them to take their belongings.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she’ll introduce on Monday an ordinance that would allow the city to file lawsuits to go after gang members’ assets, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Prosecutors in suburban counties have for years been doing something similar by employing the Illinois Street Gang Prevention Act to sue gang members for monetary damages.

At least 2 people killed, 15 injured in overnight shootings
But attorney John Mauck, who successfully defended four men against in such a lawsuit in Kane County, says that most of the hundreds of such lawsuits over the years have failed to collect any monetary damages from gang members.

But as the number of shootings and homicides in Chicago continues to surge, Lightfoot says the city must do everything it can to battle the gangs that have killed and wounded so many.

“We have an opportunity to bring these violent street gangs into civil court, out of the shadows, expose them for what they are,” she said. “And if we’re successful, and I think we will be, take their assets and the profit motive for killing our babies.”

Link: https://wgntv.com/news/chicago...members-for-damages/

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Right. Smile
That's a laugh.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What assets. Drugs and stolen weapons.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have an opportunity to bring these violent street gangs into civil court, out of the shadows

Why aren't they in criminal court?

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put that right up there with paying people $300 not to shoot each other.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m no lawyer but how would this work?

They probably won’t defend and you get a default judgment, how do you collect and how do you know what they have? Put a garnishment on their hand to hand drug transactions?

Ironically, wouldn’t this only hurt them if they went legit and got real jobs?

“Man, I’d love to quit the gang life and violence and get a real job but then they’re gonna garnish my wages for the $122,345.00 I owe!”

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Beetlejuice' the mayor, confirming the narrative that she's NOT all that bright... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8933 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
'Beetlejuice'
I don't want to see this anymore in this forum.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
This will work because gang members are compliant with legal requirements in every aspect of their life. Titles for cars, deeds for homes, receipts for all purchases and copies of form 4473 for all pistols.

All in neat hanging file folders in their office.

Roll Eyes

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
All in neat hanging file folders in their office.
You mean crib

posted Hide Post
Don't laugh, it's been done successfully!

https://www.chicagotribune.com...006210180-story.html

There was an 11 million dollar lawsuit against the Latin Kings, and another Latin street gang just prior to the article above. The chief of police, Richard Rowan (a real bad-ass cop in Chicago back in the 70's- late 80's!) did it in the western suburbs of Cicero.

1s1k-
EXACTLY!
Say the DEA does a warant against the Latin Kings, and they recovered money, and other "assets" ov value that would be auctioned off.
The town of Cicero got the money first...

San Diego Ca and one other town successfully did this in the early 90's laying the groundwork for these types of lawsuits.

Now granted, lightfoot and her crew of retards are going to fuck this up like a soup sandwich, and I'm not really hopeful that it's going to turn out well, and probably fuck it up for every other town that tries this after Chicago.... But there's always that slim chance.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
'Beetlejuice'
I don't want to see this anymore in this forum.

I know it's not going to change your mind, however, that, "shitfoot" and "groot" are her more popular monikers here in Chicago.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This isn't Chicago and all regular posting members here know forum policy. You want to ridicule this idiot? There's plenty to work with. The way she looks has nothing to do with it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This isn't Chicago and all regular posting members here know forum policy. You want to ridicule this idiot? There's plenty to work with. The way she looks has nothing to do with it.

In my case- message received, and I understand the low hanging fruit of making fun of someone's looks, I just wanted to toss that out in case someone gets chastised for what would be a regular occurrence.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If these lawsuits actually go forward, who do you think is going to "win", that is, come out ahead when its over?

Chicago? The gang members?

Hmmmmm ... could it be ...

The L*****s?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the part in the article that says

“We have an opportunity to bring these violent street gangs into civil court, out of the shadows, expose them for what they are,” she said. “And if we’re successful, and I think we will be, take their assets and the profit motive for killing our babies.”

Civil....
Not CRIMINAL.
Naaaa, can't actually lock up and incarcerate a bag guy, because there's "too many black and brown people in jail"!
So, yeah, let's keep them roaming among the good people, let them to continue to commit crimes, injuring good people...
But we're going to take their money, not their freedom.

This place is a joke. One big floppy clown shoe wearing joke.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Lightfoot is not the brightest bulb to illuminate Chicago since 1893?

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Targeting the finances of organized criminal gangs, drug cartels, outlaw motorcycle gangs has a long and successful history. Don't knock it until it's been tried.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is cheaper financially and politically than forcing prosecutors to do their jobs, and it avoids the racial fallout.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geezie Joe there’s a lot of things going on in this crazy ass world. No wonder God pulled up stakes and headed out.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post