SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forty Years. Sooner Or Later, I Will Learn.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forty Years. Sooner Or Later, I Will Learn. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My wife. I love her dearly.

But I should have learned, by now, not to expect a straightforward answer to a simple question.

In the kitchen, poking around, and I ask, “Would you like some <whatever>?”

There are only two logical answers to this question:
  1. ”Yes, please,” or

2. ”No, thank you.”
”Is there any?” is not the right response. Why would I offer you some, if there isn’t any?

Forty years of marriage, preceded by five years of togetherness, and I still have not learned.

I guess there are worse things, I just felt like complaining here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain.

Every now and then I just say to my wife, "can you answer the question I asked?". Then she spends a day not talking to me.

Yes, you think I would learn too.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36836 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Here's your answer.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I feel your pain.

Every now and then I just say to my wife, "can you answer the question I asked?". Then she spends a day not talking to me.

Yes, you think I would learn too.

Worse response - ever!

And yes, I know.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14029 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

”Is there any?”

Reminds me of somebody I know! Mad In my case, her answer usually doesn't address the question, so I'm still in the dark as to what she wants.

Some years ago, I read an article about women in the clandestine services claiming they were better at reading their opponent than men would be. To me, it makes perfect sense, because the men were all thinking "Just let me kill the Bitch and get it over with!"

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9140 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I still haven’t learned.
We go to a drive through. If there’s a line I read the menu and decide what to order. Otherwise I pretty much get the same thing as last time. That done, I ask my wife what she wants, her answer is always “I don’t know. I want to read the menu.” (She can see the menu but wants to get to the order screen before she decides anything.) She already knows what’s on the menu and what she usually gets.
After 47 years I should learn.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
44 years of trying here. I carefully state my question so that it can only be answered yes or no. I get a 5 min. answer and I still don't know if it was a yes or no. Sometimes, just to make life interesting, I'll ask; was that a yes or a no. Boy life gets interesting real quick!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sigh.

This is what's known as a lose-lose situation.

If you accept the non-answer and guess wrong as to whether it was a "yes" or a "no", you're in trouble.

If you play 40 Questions trying to determine whether it was a "yes" or a "no", you're an asshole.

After 44 years, I've never found a solution and have given up trying.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15199 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I feel your pain albeit in my case the answer is always: "maybe"

It is up to me to divine SWMBO desires. Although there is a 50/50 chance of being correct, I have a success rate far lower.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday:

Wife - I'd like to go out on the boat
Me - When would you like to go?
Wife - When would you like to go?
Me - I didn't say I wanted to take the boat out.
Wife - Why didn't you just say you don't want to take the boat out?
Me - I didn't say I didn't want to take the boat out, I was just trying to find out when you wanted to go?
Wife - Do you want to take tbe boat out?
Me - Sure, I want to take the boat out. When do you want to go?
Wife - When do you want to go?
Me - Ten minutes ago.

I swear, I'd rename the boat Itza Trapp except it would sound goofy over the radio. Mayday, Itza Trapp.

Only 13 years. From what I'm gathering, it's not going to get any better.

Posts: 10889 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Just yesterday:

Wife - I'd like to go out on the boat
Me - When would you like to go?
Wife - When would you like to go?
Me - I didn't say I wanted to take the boat out.
Wife - Why didn't you just say you don't want to take the boat out?
Me - I didn't say I didn't want to take the boat out, I was just trying to find out when you wanted to go?
Wife - Do you want to take tbe boat out?
Me - Sure, I want to take the boat out. When do you want to go?
Wife - When do you want to go?
Me - Ten minutes ago.

I swear, I'd rename the boat Itza Trapp except it would sound goofy over the radio. Mayday, Itza Trapp.

Only 13 years. From what I'm gathering, it's not going to get any better.

LOLOLOLOLOL I've run into this with girlfriends over the years...….then if you say you want to go at 10am......they say they don't want to go at 10, they want to go later......then you say 12.....then they say well that's a little too late.....LOLOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
+1, and add in English as a second language. 45 years, same ting.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There was a thread in The Lounge about kidney stones. One post mentioned that an ingredient (potassium citrate) in Crystal Light lemonade was frequently prescribed as a kidney stone preventive med. SWMBO has had a couple of kidney stones, so when I read that, I mixed up a half-gallon jug of Crystal Light lemonade, then I stuck my head into the room where she was doing some paperwork.

The dialog:

Me: "Hey, do you want a glass of Crystal Light?"

Her: "Is there any?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beat reality rant post yet!
Been doing this for 40 years now! Roll Eyes

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There was a woman on death row. When the warden asked her what she wanted for her last meal, she replied: "Oh, I don't know. What were you thinking about"?

True story.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too true, even after 43 years! Read these to the wife and we both laughed until we had tears in our eyes. Even then, my comment to her that I had some funny anecdotes I wanted to read to her about men and women married 40+ years and how they communicate elicited the response, “Are you having trouble communicating with me?”

Like the WOPR said: the only way to win is not to play.

Posts: 1177 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
There was a woman on death row. When the warden asked her what she wanted for her last meal, she replied: "Oh, I don't know. What were you thinking about"?

True story.

This is my favorite conversation. What do you want for dinner? It turns into a 20 discussion. She'll ask where I want to go and then shoot down every answer I give her and pick something else. I ask her why she even asked me if she knew what she wanted and bam, I'm the bad guy.

There's also a similar game we play where she tells me I have to pick since she picked last time. Again she shoots down every answer i give and picks something totally different. This also turns into me getting in trouble.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Great thread V! I have a very unique situation of foreign born logic to deal with. My wife is Russian, and a very stubborn one at that I've come to find out. Talk about hard to try and get answers to an otherwise simple everyday questions.

I usually end up changing the subject because the answer to my question has to go thru her foreign filters and then her replies may or may not have anything to do with what I asked. I'll avoid trying to put the conversation back on track for the answer but, by then it's clear that she really had no intentions of answering the question.

I once asked her if she was KGB trained in the past to never give a correct answer, only let them hear whatever they need to hear Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
When I don’t get a yes or no response I just stare at her until she responds appropriately or goes away.

Posts: 13739 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I find the humor in the part where you think that sooner or later you'll learn.

It is like their super power, they keep sucking us into the same trap over and over.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3846 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post