SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forty Years. Sooner Or Later, I Will Learn.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forty Years. Sooner Or Later, I Will Learn. Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Stop talking unless spoke to.

Then you can be the one to simply say yes or no. Wink

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this way , that way , up here, over there, at the next corner.

is what I get when she wants me to drive but do not know where to go .

she never learned left , right , north , south.
Roll Eyes

but it's only been 36 years Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

I find the humor in the part where you think that sooner or later you'll learn.
It has only been 45 years (five year courtship and forty years married), so there's still time. I have hope for the future.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Ooooh yeah.

Been married 35 years and am still learning; probably won’t ever get it right.

Just this past Friday I made a comment about dinner and the chill only lifted this morning. Eek

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
this way , that way , up here, over there, at the next corner.

is what I get when she wants me to drive but do not know where to go .

she never learned left , right , north , south.
Roll Eyes

but it's only been 36 years Frown

Funny you would mention that. My wife is probably the only woman in San Diego who knows where the north side of the house is and what our fence line is. I love this woman.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Preach it brother...

I don't think the words

Yes
No
I don't know

Are in her vocabulary.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

This is my favorite conversation. What do you want for dinner? It turns into a 20 discussion. She'll ask where I want to go and then shoot down every answer I give her and pick something else. I ask her why she even asked me if she knew what she wanted and bam, I'm the bad guy.

There's also a similar game we play where she tells me I have to pick since she picked last time. Again she shoots down every answer i give and picks something totally different. This also turns into me getting in trouble.

This. This is in a guidebook they get, or a secret class, or something.

This is a weekly-or-better occurrence. And yet, every time, I take the bait.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I hate it how my wife always waits until I'm in another room to ask me to mmmmmfffrhfghh rfffgrubbbfgght muurrrrrffffllle.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
No words were spoken, but I'm still in it today:

Last night, met my wife for dinner at a steak house about 30 min from home. Almost immediately after we pulled out in our respective vehicles, I get a text saying "I need gas." Translation: pump my gas for me. No worries.

I pull in behind her at the gas station off the highway exit, and pump both her gas and mind at an adjacent pump. Mine finishes first, I button everything up just as hers finishes. I button hers up and pop the side of the SUV to let her know it's done. Get back in my truck.

I crank up and wait. No movement. Flicker my lights, no movement. Knew better than to honk at her, so pull around and up beside her. Apparently when she finally looked up from texting (my daughter, sitting beside her, clued her in that I was sitting there), my WTH look with hands held palms up was too much rude for her. So, she is in "required conversation only" mode today.

No. Way. To. Win.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There was a thread in The Lounge about kidney stones. One post mentioned that an ingredient (potassium citrate) in Crystal Light lemonade was frequently prescribed as a kidney stone preventive med. SWMBO has had a couple of kidney stones, so when I read that, I mixed up a half-gallon jug of Crystal Light lemonade, then I stuck my head into the room where she was doing some paperwork.

The dialog:

Me: "Hey, do you want a glass of Crystal Light?"

Her: "Is there any?"

I suspect the "don't make any just for me" is silent. I've had women play martyr games like that with me.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have no real complaints, but...

For 50 years, I am never told “dinner is ready”. Instead I’m asked “Are you ready for dinner?” To which my answer is yes, then waiting to be told dinner is ready....you can guess this never changes.

Also, dinner at a restaurant with friends: I have to remind my wife, usually more than once, to look at the menu before the waiter arrives, it doesn’t help. Waiter arrives, “just another minute” means apparently in waiter-speak “you’ve got 20 minutes before you have to go back to that table”. Big Grin

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have no real complaints, but...

For 50 years, I am never told “dinner is ready”. Instead I’m asked “Are you ready for dinner?” To which my answer is yes, then waiting to be told dinner is ready....you can guess this never changes.

Also, dinner at a restaurant with friends: I have to remind my wife, usually more than once, to look at the menu before the waiter arrives, it doesn’t help. Waiter arrives, “just another minute” means apparently in waiter-speak “you’ve got 20 minutes before you have to go back to that table”. Big Grin

My wife must be reading the same notes. Applied in the grocery store, it looks like this: stand there and watch intently as each item is rung up. Upon being told the total, brief pause, then... "Oh..." and she THEN starts reaching down to the purse, rifles through a few compartments, pulls out keys, finds the wallet, unzips it, rifles through dividers, finds cash, finds loose change.....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Stop talking unless spoke to.

Then you can be the one to simply say yes or no. Wink

That's my preferred mode as I'm naturally a pretty quiet, non-talkative guy. Of course if I'm quiet for longer than about 5 minutes I get "WHY DON'T YOU EVER JUST TALK TO ME???" "OK, fine. What do you want to talk about?" "Never mind! Sometimes you're such as asshole!"

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
I hate it how my wife always waits until I'm in another room to ask me to mmmmmfffrhfghh rfffgrubbbfgght muurrrrrffffllle.

Oh god, yes. This. My wife is the queen of this.

And every time I have to ask her to repeat herself, she scoffs and claims I must be hard of hearing, even though she knows she's the one trying to talk to me from two rooms over, with the TV on, while facing away from me, and the dog is barking, and I'm focusing on something else at the moment.

Just because I don't have superhuman hearing doesn't make me deaf, woman!

I've repeatedly asked her to come to the same room and face me before trying to talk to me. But 10 years, and it hasn't changed.

It's my single biggest pet peeve with my wife.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

10 years, and it hasn't changed.
Ten years? Hah! Wait until you've been married for a while.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No shit, right? Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

That’s about as good as my wife saying something to me while we are driving with the windows down and her looking out the window.
Smile

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
quote:

No shit, right? Big Grin
Yeah . . . amateurs!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Yep, my wife is the same way, never a plain simple answer to a yes/no question.

When I am in a not so good mood, she never answers a question the way I asked it.
I asked if she took English in high school and college. She just gives me a dirty look.

It is frustrating.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post