SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    BJ’s wholesale club wouldn’t sell my father a bottle of wine yesterday.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BJ’s wholesale club wouldn’t sell my father a bottle of wine yesterday. Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So you are asking the clerk to look at a document then make a judgement that an old guy and really old is that guy but they are incapable of making that judgement without the document > all for the purpose of age verification. Confused
THAT really says a lot of the competency of that person doesn't it? Eek

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how you got any of that from anything I wrote.

If it seems that complicated, then that’s why the rules are simple. The clerk knows the guy is of age. The clerk also knows they’ve been told “no ID, no sale.” How competent they have to be to deny the sale to a 90 year old guy because he doesn’t have his ID is already implied by the existence of this thread.

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Store Policy is store policy, but I keep wondering...If he didn't have his wallet, how was he going to pay for it?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8772 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I’m not calling anybody a liar. I also have been on this planet long enough to know that sometimes everybody thinks it’s a LAW or thinks it is this or that because that’s just how we always have done it. I’m a show me the actual law/regulation/policy so I am starting from a position of knowledge not he said she said.

It’s either a law or it’s a policy. Not the same thing. At all.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Grocery stores and beer? [in Tennessee]

Yes, and some can sell wine as well. Liquor (which I don't drink) has to be bought in a different kind of store. Again, depending on the county. Ironically, the county in which Jack Daniel's whiskey is produced (Moore) is "dry."

Posts: 27814 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot about, at some stores in MA, grocery stores that sell beer and wine, they have to put a birthdate into their register when they scan it. They need ID from everyone. I get carded at the grocery all the time. I tend to not get carded at actual liquor stores.

We do have to consider the owner perspective. Sure, they can train their clerk to use proper judgment. Then the clerk sells to their underage friend and says "Oh he looked old enough". The penalties for selling to underage people can be hefty fines and loss of license right? Why would an owner want to risk that? Carding a 90 year old is stupid, but the risk to the seller has been removed completely.

Not to mention teens using make-up and face masks to look old enough have been reported.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Why didn't he just go get his ID?

So simple isn't it? Roll Eyes

It is, as is the process of buying alcohol. A process a 90 year old man should understand.

Don't like the rules, take ya ass to another store for your wine.

No disrespect to the father, but he ain’t special because of his age

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with being special. It has everything to do with silly policy that apparently is being treated as if it’s a fucking law. Which it isn’t. Or at least no one has yet specifically noted a state/county/city where it is actual law.

If it’s a policy, asking the manager for an exception for an elderly patron is what used to be taken for common fucking sense and decency to the elderly. Are you going to take the last seat on the bus and let him stand because well fuck him he should have gotten on sooner? Forget common sense how about some decency for the aged. Wtaf. You will be old someday too and when you forget your ID I hope someone treats you better than this thread would indicate.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It has nothing to do with being special. It has everything to do with silly policy that apparently is being treated as if it’s a fucking law. Which it isn’t. Or at least no one has yet specifically noted a state/county/city where it is actual law.

If it’s a policy, asking the manager for an exception for an elderly patron is what used to be taken for common fucking sense and decency to the elderly. Are you going to take the last seat on the bus and let him stand because well fuck him he should have gotten on sooner? Forget common sense how about some decency for the aged. Wtaf. You will be old someday too and when you forget your ID I hope someone treats you better than this thread would indicate.

Your entire last paragraph would describe being treated as special.

Get mad if you want, dudes out a bottle of wine at the end of the day if he doesn’t like the “silly policy”. Pretty far stretch from taking an elderly persons seat and a rather stupid argument.

We ain’t talking about bus seats, we’re talking about a bottle of wine. How about, and this is gonna sound crazy, if BJs has such silly policies, shop elsewhere?

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is it called BJs?

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Carding a 90 year old is stupid, but the risk to the seller has been removed completely.

The LAW says you can't sell to a minor . The POLICY minimizes the chances of that happening .Make the POLICY uniform and card everybody .Jesus Christ , people will argue about anything ..

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Policies can get silly. But asking the person making minimum wage to consistently use common sense is a bit much.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullshit. Minimum wage doesn't mean you are retarded. At a minimum, make a policy where the minimum wage worker calls for a manager if they aren't sure what to do. I suspect a manager could make that really tough call on a 90 year old. fml

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

It is, as is the process of buying alcohol. A process a 90 year old man should understand.

Don't like the rules, take ya ass to another store for your wine.

No disrespect to the father, but he ain’t special because of his age

Yeah, that is exactly what it is - disrespect.

It isn't that you don't have to follow some silly horseshit rule it is that the silly horseshit rule actually exists.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If you do not like the store sales policies then just take you happy butt and money down the road to a store that you like. These stores are a private business and they can dictate their own policies. ..... drill sgt.

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
If you do not like the store sales policies then just take you happy butt and money down the road to a store that you like. These stores are a private business and they can dictate their own policies. ..... drill sgt.

Exactly.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You guys are fun.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
He is 90. Going back out to the car is quite a workout.

He doesn't have to go anywhere. Just hand his keys to someone and describe where car is for them to fetch it. Surely he can tell just by looking at them if they are trustworthy or not?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12345 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So you are asking the clerk to look at a document then make a judgement that an old guy and really old is that guy but they are incapable of making that judgement without the document > all for the purpose of age verification. Confused
THAT really says a lot of the competency of that person doesn't it? Eek

In Arizona, which is conservative, if you buy alcohol from Fry's Supermarket you are asked your birthdate and they input it in their computer. I normally tell them December 7, 1941

In Hawaii, which is liberal, if you look over 21, they don't ask you a thing.

Go figure.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Why is it called BJs?

Because they you to kiss their ass. No sense to use a dirty response.

Posts: 1544 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
There are simply cashiers with a lack of common sense at some of these places.

Yes, and that's why the owners put these blanket policies in place, no matter how ridiculous anyone here thinks they are. You're looking at it from one direction. Try looking at it from the other. To protect their investment from employees who lack common sense, they have made it stupid simple: No ID? No sale. Period.

Bingo.

I occasionally work overtime conducting alcohol and tobacco compliance checks with an underage person. I don't know how they work in every jurisdiction, but here, we're required to check every licensed business annually. Our underage person is searched before we go out and carries only cash and their real ID. They are not allowed to lie, sweet talk, beg, persuade, or do anything but ask for whatever regulated item. If the clerk asks their age or DOB, they provide it. If the clerk asks for their ID, they provide it. Despite that, the number of clerks that will override the register, enter a false DOB, scan their own DL when the underage person's doesn't work, etc. can be astonishing.

The most egregious one I recall was a clerk who refused the sale and told the underage person to come back with somebody old enough to buy it for them. She went right back in with me and the clerk told her that she had to leave while she did the sale because "they're doing stings" and then sold to me, for the underage helper. Couldn't believe it. Clerk had a warrant, too. Got cited for the sale, got arrested, had to call her boss to run the store. Boss came straight in, fired the clerk, took her keys, etc.

The human factor is hard to underestimate.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post