SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yay, I'm getting a new engine for Christmas!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yay, I'm getting a new engine for Christmas! Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted
2017 Ford Escape, 1.5l EcoBoost. 67000 miles.

Was getting a yellow indicator light, the app said it was powertrain issue. Light went out on the way to my local shop, they ran the codes and nothing came back.

Light went on/off for 3 weeks, had an appointment with the Ford dealer for them to run the codes, soonest they could schedule it was Dec 27th.

Wife went to drive it the other day, used auto-start. When she got out to it, it was off and still cold . She went to start it and a red indicator (not the Check Engine Light though) was on and said system overheat.

We towed it to the shop, they were able to run it today and discovered coolant intrusion and the fix is a long block replacement. Luckily we have an extended warrantee, but still pissed at Ford for being aware of this issue (they are facing no less than 3 class action lawsuits, and they have TSB's to address the issue).

We were actually looking to swap this Escape in towards a new Bronco, but no way would I want to spend 50k on a EcoBoost powered vehicle at this point. We'll see how Ford takes care of this, but just thoroughly disappointed at this point.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yikes, not the best circumstances to be in.
My sister just bought an EB Escape, but I think it's the 2.0 not the 1.5
She had to have the wastewater actuator replaced this week, but it's a relatively easy DIY.

I was hoping for an engine for Christmas too, but for my engine-less sports car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dropped head/block/crank for my 200 I6 at the machine shop on Monday. Holiday engines for everyone!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang.

And all I got was a defroster door.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well then, I guess I got lucky, ‘cause I just got screwed for Christmas.

New tire will be here next year.

Posts: 10796 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Differential bushings for me!

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Seems like I've been seeing a lot of youtubes on newer Ford issues last few years.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Great, a huge chance for them to get a million things wrong.

Why not just ship a crate engine?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Is this just an ecoboost engine issue?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Just the 1.5l ones, not all Ecoboost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20740 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

From what I've seen, it's the 4 cyl EcoBoost (1.5, 1.6, and 2.0), but there was a correction to the block in the later versions to address the issue.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I got to replace the leaky valve cover gasket on my '06 Camry with 342886 miles yesterday....Can I join the gripefest Razz ?

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Well then, I guess I got lucky, ‘cause I just got screwed for Christmas.

New tire will be here next year.

Bad luck trapper, but glad it wasn't worse and didn't blow out on ya at high speeds!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
2017 Ford Escape, 1.5l EcoBoost.

As you've noted, this is a just plain bad engine (and I don't think much of this generation of Escape in general). If anyone is contemplating a used one, and it has this engine, shun it like the plague. The 2.0 is better.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Every last Ford powershift transmission is bad.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Bad luck trapper, but glad it wasn't worse and didn't blow out on ya at high speeds!

True. I'm not complaining either, just trying to add some levity to Gibbs' engine woes.

I'm a little glad the screw was found because it solved a mystery. Before we left the campground after Thanksgiving, I had my 15yo get the compressor out, put 80psi in the rears, make sure there was 65psi in the fronts, and make sure there was 100psi in the tires on the 5th wheel. I didn't check his work, because I trust him.

A couple of days after we got home, I took the rears down to 60 except the one was already almost there. I looked but didn't see anything wrong. I backed the truck up and still didn't see an issue. Now, I'm thinking it's possible my son didn't air the tire up. Finding the screw reaffirms my trust in him. It's leaking slowly as a week later it was only down a couple pounds which I mistakenly attributed to the tempuratures dropping. Then my other son noticed the screw.

Posts: 10796 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Go buy a Tire Valve Stem Tool and make sure all of your valve stems are screwed in all the way.

This has solved many a slow air leak.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^I have a valve core tool and I'll be sure to check the core after the tire gets replaced, but I'm fairly sure the screw in the pictures above is the source of my leak.

It wasn't supposed to be here until next year, but found this on my doorstep this morning:

Love that Santa Claus!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a valve core tool and I'll be sure to check the core after the tire gets replaced, but I'm fairly sure the screw in the pictures above is the source of my leak.
New tire required? Isn't the screw in the photo, in a repairable location?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30524 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart says not repairable. I had them installed just before Thanksiving and have about 2,500 miles on them, so should be 100% covered under the road hazard insurance.