SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Range Man your Glock is not a Superweapon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Man your Glock is not a Superweapon Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I take you guys have never been to Boca Raton.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Gravel pits.

Free.

No assholes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Your own private shooting range with attendant ... does not seem out of line to me... then again the OP was going through 900 rounds of ammo too.

If you can afford it.. more power to you.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
This really was a good one to 'walk away' from! Seriously, why even comment, we aren't even to the dog days of summer! Is one's life that shallow?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Wow.
It amazes me the cost differences there are for different parts of the country.
I pay $25 a month for a private club.
There are 3 pistol pits like you describe though no extra fee.
No range valets though.

Thank you for that reality check for me. I prefer your kind of shooting range.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Funny, kind-of-related, story: When I was qualifying for my Michigan CPL I wanted to do so with a sidearm I'd actually carry for SD. At the time that was my Glock G22.

The reaction from my classmates was hilarious. "Is that a Glock?" one asked me. "Yeah," I replied. Then it was a round of one classmate telling another, then him or her telling another, and so-on: "He's got a Glock!" Think the "He went to Jared" commercials

It got even funnier when I posted the best score of the class and they're all lookin' at me like I was some kinda operator or somethin'.

(It was lousy shooting, btw. Never could hit the broad side of a barn with that pistol--which was rather disappointing.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What range are you shooting at Timdogg...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
$400 for 4 hours?!

You pay $100/hour to shoot at a pistol range? Eek

Wow.
It amazes me the cost differences there are for different parts of the country.
I pay $25 a month for a private club.
There are 3 pistol pits like you describe though no extra fee.
No range valets though.

I was paying $50 a year, think it went up last year to $60

2 pistol 'pits' one allows full auto,
bullseye,
action pistol ( basically a small sort range for ipsc etc)
100 yrd rifle
skeet/trap
and an indoor range

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
[Ozzy Osbourne] I am Glock Man!! [/Ozzy Osbourne]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Kind of interesting how this thread took a turn to a completely different direction.

It started out discussing a RO who couldn't keep his hands off his Glock, and now everybody is comparing the cost of range time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
This is what I dread. My pistol club is 7 minute drive from my house. 260 members, nobody is ever there on weekdays. I own the place basically. Next month I move to Florida and have to find my new home. I hope my new home doesn’t employ that guy. Lol

What part of FL are you moving to?

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Kind of interesting how this thread took a turn to a completely different direction.

It started out discussing a RO who couldn't keep his hands off his Glock, and now everybody is comparing the cost of range time.

And I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I'm a "squad leader" to a group that shoots in an air conditioned LGS/indoor range. 13 rifle positions, 12 pistol positions.

Unlimited range time 363 days a year, 10% off of all items sold in the store including firearms, free pistol rentals, $20 transfers, all for $149.20/year since we have a squad that renews all at once every year with one point of contact (me).

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Please tell me there is an air conditioned clubhouse with a pool, full bar, and buffet for that price.
And a table dance .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Please tell me there is an air conditioned clubhouse with a pool, full bar, and buffet for that price.
And a table dance .

And one of those hot chicks to clean the guns!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where Tim was shooting sounds like a pretty nice place to go, especially in Florida.

I recently gave up my membership in the
Wyoming Antelope Club, which I've had for, IIRC, over 30 years because they decided to go from $120 per year to $200.

I gave that up not because I could not afford it, rather because they made such a jump in price that I felt insulted. Plus, and this was what really sealed the no-deal for me, they only charge $20 for non-members to shoot per day, so since I might only get out there five or six times per year...I save somewhere between $80 and $100 each year.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought in Ormond Beach so if anybody has some ideas for around there, I’m all ears.

And to keep V tail happy (lol), RO’s and their Glocks. Sheesh!

Forgot to add, my private club in Maryland costs, wait for it, 60 bucks a YEAR. Unbelievably good deal.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Bought in Ormond Beach so if anybody has some ideas for around there, I’m all ears.

Forgot to add, my private club in Maryland costs, wait for it, 60 bucks a YEAR. Unbelievably good deal.
Martin-who-works-with-me belongs to the Volusia club on SR 44, between I-4 and I-95. I don't know of anything closer to Ormond, but it's an easy drive.

I've never been there; Martin has invited me but we have not been able to make our schedules work. Let me know when you're settled in a bit, maybe we can both go with Martin, one day.

It's $300 / year, maybe just a tiny bit more than your Maryland club.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the wife pistoling this afternoon. I told her this club would be the worst part of moving. 7 minute drive from home. Sixty bucks a year. Three ranges we had to ourselves (common) so we shot bowling pins then steel. I will never find this good of a deal again.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I checked in on this thread last night and told mrs Timdogg the musings here. She burst out laughing. Ya see, she used to shoot a lot of trap. A lot of trap, i mean a lot. 4 Flats of shells plus entry fees and you are at $600 easy, then add $8,000 for the gun, 3 hotel nights, travel, time off work, its not hard to get nuts.

I pay the freight when I shoot with my kids. The local indoor spot is about $25ish bucks for indoor range. But you run the risk of getting shot by some asshole or him shooting himself and shutting the place down for an hour. Yes that happens. So for me right now this is the most controlled place i can go to and still shoot steel and such like I want to. It works for me.

Now when the kids grow up and shoot sporting clays or trap, ill really be in for it.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5130 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Having shot at public ranges, I can definitely see the value of renting a private bay. $100/hr with a mag-loader/RO included ain't bad compared to risking taking a round to the face from some ignorant moron in the next lane.

My public range days ended when I looked to my right one time and found myself staring down the barrel of a .44 magnum that the guy next to me was struggling to unload. That wasn't the first hazardous situation I encountered there, but it was the last straw. A few weeks after that, some moron put a vertical foregrip off an AR on the rail of his handgun and blew his thumb off...never a dull moment at the public range.

I'm blessed to have been able to join a private club that's $110/year. With my work schedule I usually have the place to myself, but when I've shot with other members they've all been very responsible, knowledgeable, safe, and pleasant people to shoot with. Most are older guy with a lifetime of bullseye and high-power experience. I've learned a lot from talking with them, and have gotten to shoot some really sweet guns that I'd otherwise not have. Fanboys are pretty much non-existant. It's nothing fancy but the rules allow me to shoot pretty much anything that I want in the ways I want to shoot them, so I'm happy. They're also a CMP affiliated club, so it's assisted me in acquiring a couple of Garands Big Grin.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post