SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Buy my 'custom' stippled Glock with aftermarket everything, only $2k!"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Buy my 'custom' stippled Glock with aftermarket everything, only $2k!" Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
First off, I'm not talking about for sale threads here. I'm not.

That out of the way, there's a local forum I keep an eye on. This is a common theme there. Someone will post a Glock that they've replaced every part but the frame with aftermarket stuff, the frame will be stippled either by themselves or some company, it'll come with some uber-tactical holster, an RMR, a compensator (because you need that on a 9mm gun) and a few mags. It's always $1,500 and up. There's some clown that posted pretty much exactly what I just described and listed it for an even two grand without even a hint of irony.

Look, I get it. You put all kinds of money into this awesome custom gun that looks uber-tactical as fuck, and when people stopped liking and sharing your Instagram pics of it, you got tired of it, and decided to get your money out of it. Problem is, your idea of an awesome custom gun is your idea of an awesome custom gun. I can get a Glock for a lot less than a grand that some fuckwit hasn't raped with a soldering iron. Your "Multicam black" cerakote job looks like someone smeared a turd all over the slide and the frame. That, or you gave the neighbor kid who wears a helmet to pick dandelions a couple cans of Kyrlon and told him "just don't spray it in your eyes." You may have two grand in it, but it ain't worth two grand on the used market unless you wear a helmet to pick dandelions.

Here's another example: About a month ago, some dickwhistle posted a Glock 48 that was "BNIB" with a few Shield 15rd mags, their aluminum mag catch installed, and a very ugly home stipple job. "Only about 200 rounds through it." Hey Skeezix, if you did all that shit to it, it ain't "BNIB." It ain't even "new," it's used and altered and fucked with. Several people, myself included, posted that they would have been happy to buy it if he hadn't stippled it. He edited everything out of the ad in a snit fit and asked that it be deleted. It was up less than three days. The best part was he was asking about $800 for it, if I recall right.

It's the almost the same thing with AR's, but not quite as bad because you can't stipple aluminum. Well, you can, but thankfully electo-penciling guns isn't "tacticool" at the moment. There was a guy who posted an "AR15." It was a BCM or Daniel Defense upper with no sights on an Anderson lower with a FAB defense grip... for $1,200? Dude, fuck yourself with a brick.

Are there really a bunch of helmeted dandelion-harvesters running around paying these prices for "fully customized" guns? That, or are they the ones inflicting all this silly fuckery on perfectly fine firearms? I don't get it.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont care what the hobby or interest is, there is always a fringe element that is crazy with it. Gold plating comes immediately to mind.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
First off, I'm not talking about for sale threads here. I'm not.

That out of the way, there's a local forum I keep an eye on. This is a common theme there.
It's a common theme everywhere.

Look, I get it. You put all kinds of money into this awesome custom gun that looks uber-tactical as fuck, and when people stopped liking and sharing your Instagram pics of it, you got tired of it, and decided to get your money out of it. Problem is, your idea of an awesome custom gun is your idea of an awesome custom gun. I can get a Glock for a lot less than a grand that some fuckwit hasn't raped with a soldering iron. Your "Multicam black" cerakote job looks like someone smeared a turd all over the slide and the frame. That, or you gave the neighbor kid who wears a helmet to pick dandelions a couple cans of Kyrlon and told him "just don't spray it in your eyes." You may have two grand in it, but it ain't worth two grand on the used market unless you wear a helmet to pick dandelions.
Yup, you ain't going to get out of your trinket what you put into it. But, these guys always hope for some suckers out there to bite.

Here's another example: About a month ago, some dickwhistle posted a Glock 48 that was "BNIB" with a few Shield 15rd mags, their aluminum mag catch installed, and a very ugly home stipple job. "Only about 200 rounds through it." Hey Skeezix, if you did all that shit to it, it ain't "BNIB." It ain't even "new," it's used and altered and fucked with...
Oh yes, I hate these assholes out there who claim NIB, when they already shot the gun. WTF is wrong with you? Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I dont care what the hobby or interest is, there is always a fringe element that is crazy with it. Gold plating comes immediately to mind.

Like this bling SIG here? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Why do you hate dandelions so F'ing much?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I always like the people who post on Glock forums about problems they are having with their gun that kinda looks like a gun Glock makes but doesn’t have a single part made by Glock. Especially when they make a snide comment about “Glock perfection”.

These are the same guys who ten years ago were complaining that the 1911 design was unreliable because they bought a rock island and all they had replaced was the trigger, hammer, beavertail, barrel and slide.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plating on the pictured Sig is fine and enhances the gun nicely. Plating it entirely would be another thing altogether. Less is more!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Picking dandelions can be dangerous. You're exposed in an open field and need something to protect your head - you just never know what could happen. A meteor or some other space debris could come falling out of the sky. WTF, haven't you heard about what happened to the dinosaurs? Hell, maybe you were out in a field picking dandelions without a helmet and was struck on the head and only remember it on some subconscious level where now you resent helmet-wearing dandelion pickers selling their custom Glocks. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Anytime I see an add that says "custom" or "many extras" and then goes on to list each one and it's MSRP I immediately turn off and go to the next ad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems kinda high for a Glock. From what you describe, it wasn't a Salient BLU. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Like this bling SIG here? Big Grin
[/QUOTE]

That's really elegant, as opposed to Sinoloa Cartel elegant

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Like this used SCAR at a local shop a year ago.

The rail and geissele scar trigger are nice upgrades that anyone would want. But then this petrol huffer had a distressed (down to the aluminum) Star Wars cerakote job put on it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALOT of people just aren't that smart and do probably wear the helmet and pick dandelions. I'm sure most agree.
Another problem is that people are paying whatever just to have a pistol or rifle. Supply is limited and when something is offered, they pay the asking price.
I saw a person pay $1200 for a new AR in March at my LGS and it wasn't a higher end AR either. They had no ammunition though but he had his AR. He even asked before he started the paperwork if they had any ammunition. So there's your buyer.
Seller? Most will try to get whatever they can. That's corporations (think CTD) and individuals.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Like this used SCAR at a local shop a year ago.

I literally winced, looking at that. That's the kinda shit I'm talking about, right there. Just... damn. Lemme guess, they wanted only $4k for it, right?

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
You can see the tag in the second picture. Priced by the shop well below the cost of rifle and upgrades, not even figuring a cerakote job. It was pretty tempting to get it and krylon the whole thing. It actually looked worse in person.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a fun read, thank you OP. Big Grin

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion's attract bees, and picking the flowers makes the bees angry and if bees are angry, they attack, and when they attack, one runs or swats and if the grass is wet one slips, striking one's head and splitting it like a ripe canteloupe on a hot cement gas pad in July. Don't split your head open like a ripe canteloupe on a hot cement gas pad in july. Wear a helmet. Safety first.

And carry an unstippled glock as self defense against bees.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If I see the word "upgrades" in a classified, I stop reading.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
If I see the word "upgrades" in a classified, I stop reading.

Nah, depends on who did the upgrade. If it's by Robert Burke or Bruce Gray or Langdon, I would continue. But, if it's by Joe Blow, then I'm with you. Smile

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
How about a bone stock SIG P226 for $1,700? Plenty of em on Gunbroker! But yea, I get it with the whole customized thing, especially when the seller expects to get all the money he put into it back on the sale Roll Eyes

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Nah, depends on who did the upgrade. If it's by Robert Burke or Bruce Gray or Langdon, I would continue. But, if it's by Joe Blow, then I'm with you. Smile

Those would usually be "trigger work" or "action job". People who use upgrades tend to mean crap they bolted on.

And believe me, I'm a life long believer in the motto "a gun is never truly yours until you void the factory warranty", but I don't expect people to pay EXTRA for it. Smile

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post