SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate heat and humidity
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate heat and humidity Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Every summer I think about how miserable it must have been to live before air conditioning.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We just got back to Houston after a week in Pensacola.
Definitely a different hot here than there.
Higher temp & humidity here in Houston I think.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Every summer I think about how miserable it must have been to live before air conditioning.

I was raised in a hundred-ish year old farmhouse in the 50's and 60's. A/C wasn't even a remote consideration. Wasn't a lot of money spent on insulation or windows either.

Miserable, oppressive, stagnant heat in the Summer and frost on the inside of the windows in the Winter.

Good Old Days my wrinkled old ass...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Here in southern part of Louisiana we have had a string of very high 90"s temp with the feels like 108 to 114 depending on which weather guesser you listen to and no releif in the near future..... Sure miss the lower temps and very low humidity of the interior of Alaska. When returned in Sept 1979 thought I was going to die for the 1st two years till becoming partially re-aclimated...... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Air conditioner just died. Two week lead time to get a replacement evaporator coil.

87° in the house right now. Mad

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
94 degrees with 42% humidity here right now.
I can take the heat; heat is uncomfortable, but cold is painful for me.

I'm sitting on the deck in the shade having a nice cold Belgian ale.
Not minding it at all.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Air conditioner just died. Two week lead time to get a replacement evaporator coil.

Sounds like time to take an air trip.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

Sounds like time to take an air trip.
Unable. Wife is away, visiting the kids and attending H.S. class reunion, so I am the designated cat sitter.

Got all the fans going, but it's pretty miserable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a window unit if it will be two weeks. Simple to install and at least you can sleep. Worth the investment.

You can also hang out at the mall with the cats.

Hotel room possible? Better rates for two weeks in the off season.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
87° in the house right now. Mad Unable. Wife is away, visiting the kids and attending H.S. class reunion, so I am the designated cat sitter.

Head over to the Ah Pop Kah Lowes, plenty of window shakers from $200 and up, I'd suggest
a portable you can move from room to room, get one that doesn't require you to empty the bucket.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-El...e-Control/5001459511

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Head over to the Ah Pop Kah Lowes, plenty of window shakers from $200 and up, I'd suggest a portable you can move from room to room, get one that doesn't require you to empty the bucket.
Thanks, HRK, but that won't work. The two areas that I really need cooled are the bedroom and the kitchen area. Unable to vent a unit like this in either place.

Bedroom does not have a window to vent, the only opening to the outside is a sliding patio door. Kitchen is sort of in the middle of the house, with no outside wall.

Window units won't work either, for the same reasons.

I sent an email to the outfit that sold and installed the system in October 2018. To my surprise, the owner replied today (Sunday). He said that when they ordered the replacement thingy on Friday, July 15, they were quoted two weeks for delivery, but he understands my problem and will contact the distributor again tomorrow as soon as they're open, and see if he can get them to accelerate.

Meantime, here's what's going on: the screen shot shows that the thermostat is calling for 79° and the system can't cool it down below 89°. I'll be medium rare in a few hours. I'm schvitzing; glad my wife is in Ohio right now, not having to deal with this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
My wife is from the Philippines, this is normal to her.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting your feet in a pan of cold water and some ice cubes helps some. Having a fan blow air across ice provides some cooling. Take a drive in your car to cool off. Oh swamp coolers are a waste. These are advertised as ventless air conditioners. Good for Arizona, not Florida. Good luck.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I hates ’em, too: They drive the lowlanders to the mountains to cool off.*
High today: 69°; ~50° now; overnight low forecast 43°.

* I’m actually happy to see them: Spend a little time, spend your money, then go away.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your unit is older than eight years it might make sense to replace the whole unit. In fact they probably have a complete unit in stock. Something to think about.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Definitely a different hot here than there.
Higher temp & humidity here in Houston I think.

^^^^^^^
I think the difference is the Gulf Coast has been getting daily rain, while Houston has not.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

If your unit is older than eight years it might make sense to replace the whole unit.
You evidently did not read my post, four posts above yours, in which I stated that the repair is being done by the same company that sold and installed the new system in October, 2018.

The part that failed is still under warranty (part only, I pay for the labor).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
87° in the house right now. Mad Unable. Wife is away, visiting the kids and attending H.S. class reunion, so I am the designated cat sitter.

Head over to the Ah Pop Kah Lowes, plenty of window shakers from $200 and up, I'd suggest
a portable you can move from room to room, get one that doesn't require you to empty the bucket.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-El...e-Control/5001459511

Our ancient AC went out some years back,of course in the middle of a heat wave. We bought a larger BTU window unit, which we still have. Since we have an open house layout, it worked pretty well, just had to use fans to distribute the cooler air to the bedrooms.

Used it about a month until a new unit was installed. Still have the window unit.

Good luck, V-Tail

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You evidently did not read my post, four posts above yours, in which I stated that the repair is being done by the same company that sold and installed the new system in October, 2018.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just trying to help. Clearly I missed that.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Light at the end of the tunnel. Just got a message from the AC company. The replacement part is now available. Trying to schedule the installation for today.

If it can't be done today, I will run some errands at air conditioned stores, traveling in my air conditioned car.

Inside temp was 82° at 7:00 am.
UPDATE: Tech is now scheduled to arrive between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. They must get their watches from the same supplier as the cable company guys.

'NOTHER UPDATE: Tech arrived at 10:25 (35 minutes ahead of schedule!). He has removed the defective evaporator, unpacked the replacement part, and is now in the process of transferring some fittings from the old unit to the new one. He expects the house to be cool by early afternoon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים