SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunstore made me walk out today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstore made me walk out today Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Yes, I went in to buy a 1911 today.
Had a little cash that needed to go to something so I wanted another 1911.
I had to go to the metal recyclers with a load this morning and saw that my BIG local was open.
So I stopped by after unloading The Sorcerer and getting it washed.
I have to admit I looked like I just came from the recycling center.

So I perused what metal they had in the displays. I was down to a stainless 1911 and a 45 Long Colt six shooter.
I talked myself into the 1911. Told the clerk OK I'll have this one. Walked over to the sales bar and waited. The desk clerk took my licenses and waited for my gun. Well the slug decided to be on the phone, the walk slowly around in the accessories and ignore her.
The young lady clerk was appalled and called his name out. And told me this is unacceptable and asked what I was waiting on.
Garden slug had gotten back onto the phone and the other clerk was nowhere now.

It's been 20 minutes now and I'm finally impatient. I take my licenses, and leave.
The little gal was freaked I was leaving as I just waved to her and out the doors I went.
I've bought many things from them and the adjacent pawn shop.(tools and jewelry)

I'm sure someone will want my money. I didn't see anyone buying, just looking. And they had no ammunition to sell.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It’s the big box gun shops as well. They use the dumbest math to minimize the number of employees on staff. I’m sure they’ve done cost benefit analysis, and are fully aware customers will walk. However, the idea of having one extra employee in store, or on the books at all, is anathema. Customers be damned. It’s what having reduced product and a surplus of customers will do to you.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a shame that some employees can ruin a business. I have been pretty fortunate with my dealings in local shops but understand your frustration.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Marzy can attest that I don't let go of money easily.
There were at least 5 staff in the place.
Apparently I found the one that didn't want to be there.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Sure hope you put in a call to the manager or owner about this behavior. He may not know what is going on there.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems familiar.

I may have been to the same shop a while ago.

Decided I didn't need to buy local.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retail is a lost art.
The suits only see $, or lack there of and the sales people get little to no training or incentives.

It's always been much more expensive to turn over poor employees
Than it is to train and cultivate people.

The suits refuse to acknowledge this

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54485 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A used recurve bow I recently acquired had a string just a bit too long. Off to the nearest Cabelas, next state south. Apparently, the archery department gets an hour and a half for lunch. No help.

Wander to the ammo, lots in stock, nothing I want. Strike up a conversation with an older gentleman about the bow I'm carrying. Turns out, he makes bows and strings. Even better, he lives in my county.

Walked out of cabelas without spending a dime, next morning I have a new, custom made string of the correct length. Saved a few bucks, too.

I'd rather give that individual my money than a massive corporation, any day. Made for a happy weekend.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The employee was obviously discontented he had to work on NYE, so he "showed them".

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably won't help, but I'd contact the store's management to let them know their employee's behavior cost them at least one not insignificant sale.

Of course with few people still wanting to actually work, it may be they're happy to just have a live body who will show up at least half-assed sober to stand around in the store.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I was thinking didn't he want to be there on NYE either.
Yet there are people like me that will buy.
Thought they'd be thrilled with a sale.
Well they lost a sale because of that idiot.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I'll wait a reasonble amount of time for service. If it doesn't happen I walk. No comment, no explanation, no fuss. I just take my money elsewhere. The older I get the less time and energy I have to waste and truthfully there is not many things I really have to have.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to get a haircut yesterday. Checked in on-line, got a text to head over, arrived and let them know I was there, sat down to wait. Three "stylists" working. Young kid is waiting and is called to one of the barber chairs -- a butch LGBT individual pops out of their car and comes in to explain the kid's haircut requirements. Even though the door is posted that masks are REQUIRED for entry or to receive e haircut, he/she proceeds to stand there COUGHING while the kid gets his cut. One stylist gets a phone call and walks out of the shop. The second stylist finishes with her client and goes off to pick up the various towels and capes from the barber chairs. There are 3 of us waiting. The kid gets finished and goes out to the car to play video games, and the "adult" sits down and requests the same cut as the kid just got. Escalating coughing ensues. Twenty minutes have passed; no one is attending to the customers that are waiting. More coughing. I left.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25+ years ago my then employer showed us a video of an MIT Sloan School Consultant.

He said that in the future businesses that are in the business of wasting their customer's time will die. He also said you can have high quality, fast speed, or low cost. Pick two, but you can't do all three. He was right.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
It probably won't help, but I'd contact the store's management to let them know their employee's behavior cost them at least one not insignificant sale.

Of course with few people still wanting to actually work, it may be they're happy to just have a live body who will show up at least half-assed sober to stand around in the store.

If it was the Box Store that Starts with C and megered with the Pro shop one then no it will NOT do any good.
I Experienced the same thin a few month ago. And i made the Call And i received a cookie cutter Excuse about lack of Help .
BS the people behind the Counter just did not want to be there

Posts: 1594 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I bought my P365 almost 3 weeks ago today from Sportsmans Warehouse.

They had around half a dozen people working behind the gun counter and went way out of their way to take care of everybody.

I guess it comes down to who's running the store and what their culture is.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
quote:

If it was the Box Store that Starts with C and megered with the Pro shop one then no it will NOT do any good.
I Experienced the same thin a few month ago. And i made the Call And i received a cookie cutter Excuse about lack of Help .

What was their excuse for the years before the pandemic at both of those unnamed stores?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No doubt you’re right. Could be though- I let Top Gun Supply know about an experience my wife and I had in there store down here and he terminated the douche. Turns out even the other employees couldn’t stand him.

I’ve repaid that move with multiple purchases and enjoy chatting with a couple of the younger guys.

Also bet that lady sales clerk chirped to someone so a call to management might tip the scales.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
It wasn't the big merger. It was a place near the Outlet Malls on 400 that went from a pawn shop to a nice gunstore with the pawn shop on the other side.
I've been buying from both side since I moved out here.
The KNOW me. I might go back in a few months. I may never go back.
The 2 places near Marzy want my money.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
quote:

What was their excuse for the years before the pandemic at both of those unnamed stores?

The gun area service is outstanding in both of those stores in my area.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post