SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mask Shaming
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mask Shaming Login/Join 
posted
Seems the latest battle everyone wants to start is over masks and no matter which side you are on seems you are wrong.

I have see mask wearers publicly shame others for not wearing them while also seeing non wearers call those who choose to wear one "pussies"

I do not understand the need to be right/pick fights over this?

I personally choose not to ear a mask unless I have to visit a place where it is mandatory (which I try to avoid). If I must wear one I do so without bitching, crying or having a fit.

I also, would never think to insult anyone that chooses to wear one as that is their choice and their business and as long as they can happily wear their mask without lecturing me about what an awful person I am then we can peacefully coexist.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've only worn a mask once, when helping my grandmother move out of her apt (senior living apartments) where a mask was required for entry.

That said, there were a couple residents spotted, in the 2 days we were there, without masks.

Haven't run into anyone that seems to even notice (grocery store & such).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Most of the masks worn in public are not worn because the wearers are trying to protect themselves.

They are worn to be considerate to everyone else - those mask designs are worthless at anything other than reducing the potential spread from the wearer, to everyone else.

You may believe they are pointless/worthless. The point to keep in mind is that the wearers are trying to reduce YOUR risk. Whether or not you believe you are at risk, or whether the behavior is addressing the risk, making an effort in an attempt to make other people better off is nothing worthy of scorn.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Most of the masks worn in public are not worn because the wearers are trying to protect themselves.
I disagree strongly. Most people are so uninformed, they think there widdle mask is protecting them. That's what this whole stupid panic is about on a personal level- protecting one's self and one's immediate family. You're giving people far too much credit.

You're saying that all these sheep are wearing masks primarily out of a concern for strangers, and that's laughable.

If all people knew the actual function of these masks, most people would abandon their placebo in a heartbeat.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Here is the mask I wear to places (hospital) that require a mask for entry...

When it is noted that the mask does nothing I reply with "It does exactly what it is intended to do"

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may believe they are pointless/worthless. The point to keep in mind is that the wearers are trying to reduce YOUR risk.

I really hope you don’t actually believe that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
Here is the mask I wear to places (hospital) that require a mask for entry...

When it is noted that the mask does nothing I reply with "It does exactly what it is intended to do"

I like you're style.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I disagree strongly. Most people are so uninformed, they think there widdle mask is protecting them. That's what this whole stupid panic is about on a personal level- protecting one's self and one's immediate family. You're giving people far too much credit.

You're saying that all these sheep are wearing masks primarily out of a concern for strangers, and that's laughable.

If all people knew the actual function of these masks, most people would abandon their placebo in a heartbeat.

Absolutely correct!

Witness the folks driving around in their personal vehicles, alone, wearing a mask. Same story as those who go for a walk/run outdoors, alone, with nobody in even remote proximity, wearing a mask.

These folks believe that their surgical masks, N95s, or fun-time cotton print DIY masks are protecting them somehow. Because they’re low-information people.

The ones also wearing gloves (that they wear all day for no particular reason) are even more ignorant of the function and proper use of their PPE.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
You may believe they are pointless/worthless. The point to keep in mind is that the wearers are trying to reduce YOUR risk.

I really hope you don’t actually believe that.

I know it for a fact, sadly. That's why I wear one. It does nothing for me but fog my glasses. Maybe the people I know are atypical but they all wear them and nobody among them is deluded that they are being protected by doing so.

I don't wear them because I care what people think, and I don't wear them because 'they are required'. I wear it to not potentially become the reproductive organ of a virus.

Now, I do have actual N95 masks that would do something other than just fog my glasses - just a few - and those are for the hopefully-not-to-transpire case where my wife or I catch the crud and we have one well person taking care of one unwell, stuck at home. Again, hopefully hypothetically only. I have not seen anyone wearing one of those out and about. Those are about the wearer being concerned for themselves, not others nearby.

Anyway, that's not what we're talking about, if I understand correctly. We're talking about the not-going-to-make-the-wearer-any-safer fabric masks worn in public.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
These folks believe that their surgical masks, N95s, or fun-time cotton print DIY masks are protecting them somehow. Because they’re low-information people.

The two people I've actually gotten into arguments with about this in person both admitted to "not really reading up on" COVID and instead listening to the news and what it has to say about it.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Rob

I'd agree with this statement except for the N95. If you are wearing a real medical grade N95, you most certainly are better protected than any of the other options. Not perfect, but pretty well. If that were not the case, every physician and nurse in a Covid hospital would have been infected within days.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point to keep in mind is that the wearers are trying to reduce YOUR risk.

Wow, how selfless of them. I'm so glad this was pointed out. Could you tell them to take it a step further and have them just stay home? That would really be much more effective at preventing them from getting me sick and I really wouldn't want them to have to bear the thought of infecting me. That would be a win-win.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it for a fact, sadly.
You know nothing of the sort. Just because you understand the actual function of these idiotic masks, doesn't mean most people do. Again, you are giving far too much credit to the greater portion of the world's population.

Hell, people these days can't be bothered to know basic things about their world, since some government entity is there to hold their widdle hand. How do you expect all of them to understand something like this- a panic manufactured by the press and certain aspects of governments around the world. They're sheep, going along with the rest of the panicked herd. Misinformation is king in the news media, especially when they see a chance to hurt our formerly tremendous economy and to hurt President Trump.

The point about people wearing these stupid-ass masks when they're alone in their car is an indication of how genuinely stupid and ignorant is the greater portion of the population.

Stop someone on the street and ask them basic questions about their government, about this nation's history and the like, and see how far you get. In the "information age" people are stupid as shit, and you expect them to understand the function of these masks? That borders on gullible.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

-Rob

I'd agree with this statement except for the N95. If you are wearing a real medical grade N95, you most certainly are better protected than any of the other options. Not perfect, but pretty well. If that were not the case, every physician and nurse in a Covid hospital would have been infected within days.

How many of those wearing an N95 do you suppose have been properly fit tested? Barring that, they’re not really any more useful than a surgical mask.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
to hold their widdle hand. How do you expect all of them to understand something like this- a panic manufactured by the press and certain aspects of governments around the world. They're sheep, going along with the rest of the panicked herd. Misinformation is king in the news media, especially when they see a chance to hurt our formerly tremendous economy and to hurt President Trump.The point about people wearing these stupid-ass masks when they're alone in their car is an indication of how genuinely stupid and ignorant is the greater portion of the population.Stop someone on the street and ask them basic questions about their government, about this nation's history and the like, and see how far you get. In the "information age" people are stupid as shit, and you expect them to understand the function of these masks? That borders on gullible.

I own a business that has clients come into my office, one (husband & wife, or single) at a time.

I do not wear a mask. 75% of the people who come in, have a mask, ask if I require it, and put it in their pocket/purse/etc when I say no. Not a single one asked, and wore it anyway after I said they could wear it if they want, but I don't care either way. They couldn't give a shit about me and my safety with there stupid face covering.

Of the last 25%, (those who come in with a mask on, aka the ones who care about my life and health) I'd say half just leave it on, pick at it, adjust it, pull it down below their nose, etc and maybe even make a comment about how stupid they are, but wear it through the meeting.

The second half of the remaining 25% just have to tell me how many lives they save daily by wearing this mask. How they try to stay home, how this is their first time out of the house in weeks, looking to save lives. They ARE in fact, the real heroes.

Then when they complain about the mask, or why I am not wearing one, and why they are wearing one to save my life, I tell them to feel free to take it off, I don't need my life saved by their mask (and yes, I have almost exclusively said it that way), they say they want to keep wearing it. It sure isn't for me when push comes to shove, is it now?

They use the rest of the small talk in the meeting telling me all the places they were at over the past couple weeks, and how they wore a mask, and how they are still alive. (but didn't they just tell me how they haven't been anywhere in weeks? Eek )

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve had people ask me on duty why we aren’t wearing masks and I tell them we don’t have to.

I think we’re one of the few PDs in my area where it’s not required. We’ll do the PPE when we know it’s necessary.

I had to walk a crazy guy into a hospital a few weeks ago and the ER staff told me I couldn’t come in without a mask so I just uncuffed the crazy guy and walked out and said have fun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I know it for a fact, sadly.
You know nothing of the sort. Just because you understand the actual function of these idiotic masks, doesn't mean most people do. Again, you are giving far too much credit to the greater portion of the world's population.

Sorry, you are absolutely right here - what I typed overstates the case and there are undoubtedly people who are confused.

What I meant to say was that 'I know it for a fact for people I personally interact with'. I actually thought I'd typed that. What I was trying to say is that - and I see you get that - in the mix with the confused, are some un-confused people, wearing masks trying not to make things worse. That was not what came across, and again, I apologize.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:I had to walk a crazy guy into a hospital a few weeks ago and the ER staff told me I couldn’t come in without a mask so I just uncuffed the crazy guy and walked out and said have fun.

Big Grin

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wear it to not potentially become the reproductive organ of a virus.
I must ask a couple of questions yet again...
1) Why didn't people run amok and wear face masks when Swine Flu did a blitzkrieg through this country in '09/'10 with 60,800,000 documented cases? I showed up for work every friggin' day hauling THOUSANDS of people around and didn't miss a beat.

2) If face masks "work", why was it necessary to release thousands of convicted criminals into the general population?

Unfortunately, my airline is REQUIRING not only the wearing of masks when in the public eye, but also REQUIRING temperature checks when we show up each day for work. It is PURE OPTICS!!! I have threatened to drop trou and DEMAND my temp be taken rectally. You know...for greater accuracy. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, I have another question. If the mask nazi's keep spouting "Your mask is to protect others and it doesn't protect you" as their religion, why do they get so pissy when you ask them to remove their mask so you can hear what the fuck they are mumbling?

I actually had a little brain surgeon at the Outback last weekend tell me "because the governor said so".

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post