SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Requiring a degree for a position that doesn't require it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requiring a degree for a position that doesn't require it. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A concerted effort to make sure that those who don't hold the correct beliefs are not given a chance to succeed

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Unfortunately, it would seem we're heading to a place where there's validity to that statement... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not doubting the OP but something tells me there's something more to the story.

1) Most positions that list a degree as a requirement also have a "or have commensurate work experience" wording.

2) You can't fire a person that's been on the job for not having a degree that you just added as a requirement. That certainly sounds like you're opening yourself up to be sued. It's different if the position was originally advertised as such and the person lied. If you do come up with a new requirement, I think it's on the company to offer a way for the employee to meet the requirement.

3) Job requirements have to be justified as being needed or enhances the performance of the job. Firing a person who has been doing the job satisfactory, again, sounds like grounds for being sued.

That's why I think there's more to the story that may not be known to the OP.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago, during the college football season, one of the car rental companies used to plaster their TV ads with “alumni” from different schools proud of the fact that they turned their college degree into someone able to rent cars to others. In fact I believe their tag line was something to the effect of “we employ more college grads than (whatever it was…)
Yeah, that’s what I’d want to aspire to.
I remember thinking what a shitty commercial as well as a shitty way to show off the benefits of a college education!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they use OJ Simpson and tout USC again?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
I remember a few years ago, during the college football season, one of the car rental companies used to plaster their TV ads with “alumni” from different schools proud of the fact that they turned their college degree into someone able to rent cars to others. In fact I believe their tag line was something to the effect of “we employ more college grads than (whatever it was…)
Yeah, that’s what I’d want to aspire to.
I remember thinking what a shitty commercial as well as a shitty way to show off the benefits of a college education!

Enterprise Car Rental did that in the late 90’s. We had an on-site office in the car dealership I worked at and I’ll give the personnel credit due I can’t think of one negative interaction between them and us.

At that time Enterprise promoted from within its ranks. And they used to offer us in the dealership weekend and holiday deals on rental cars. Ridiculously low rates, no mileage limits, something like five to ten dollars a day.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, thought that be the one and it is. At least you had a good experience with them.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a bit of financial help getting my B.S. degree, working for companies that had tuition aid programs.

Tuition was reimbursed for completing courses with satisfactory grades if the course was either related to the job, or if not directly related, was a required course in a curriculum leading to a degree that was related to the job.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Why do (most) military officers have to be college graduates?

Does a degree in econ make one better at aiming artillery?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I don't know what's going on currently, but back in the dark ages when I was Navy, some of the more competent officers were "mustangs" -- former enlisted types, who accepted commissions.

I was a missile systems guy. I got out after six years (four USN plus two USNR). One of my peers stayed in, progressed from CPO through Warrant, and retired as LCDR (Lieutenant Commander). Not a college graduate, in fact I don't think he had any college at all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife completed a BS in nursing in 1969 to become an RN. It was a 4 yr university program of almost 150 hours. She then had to pass the board exam. RNs may also do a 3 yr program that leads to an RN without a BS. Both had to take and pass the same board exam. The difference in pay between the BS and non BS RN was only a few cents per hour.

She’s retired now and says that requirements may have changed.

The hospital in Houston where she worked was “urging” RNs to obtain masters degrees when she retired about 12 years ago.

During her career she said the common wisdom was that when money gets tight the Masters degrees got laid off first due to slightly higher pay.

Hospital decides to build a new wing and begins to become more frugal with funds and the Masters degreed RNs got fired first.

She believes the 4 yr BSRN program was more stringent than the 3 yr RN program. She stressed that both have to pass the same boards and that “hands on “ experience is the best teacher. Great nurses come out of both programs.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Back in the Day my Dad said he called on the President of a national chicken franchise company, while there he asked him why he kept the receptionist as she was dumber than a box of rocks.

Hey said "because she gives the best BJ in the company"....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

They don't. There are a ton of guys who went to OCS (Officers Candidate School) and got their commission. I was offered OCS at the start of Basic Training in the Army as were 9 other guys in my training company.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

They don't. There are a ton of guys who went to OCS (Officers Candidate School) and got their commission. I was offered OCS at the start of Basic Training in the Army as were 9 other guys in my training company.

Isn't it also true that as you advance up to flag rank, the services will want you to go to college - sometimes the War College, but also sometimes civilian colleges. My father in law got a commission as a pilot in WWII, but get sent to the War College for a degree as he advanced in rank after the war.

I was in college with an Army captain who was getting a degree. It was in some form of engineering, so you college-phobes don't have to worry that it was a waste.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Isn't it also true that as you advance up to flag rank, the services will want you to go to college - sometimes the War College, but also sometimes civilian colleges. My father in law got a commission as a pilot in WWII, but get sent to the War College for a degree as he advanced in rank after the war.

I was in college with an Army captain who was getting a degree. It was in some form of engineering, so you college-phobes don't have to worry that it was a waste.

Yeah, you won't go far without the degree. Captain, maybe major at most without it.

There are exceptions, of course. Chuck Yaeger is one, but he did attend the War College. OTOH, he had other things going for him obviously.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

In theory, officers are supposed to write professionally and that's what college teaches(?)

I had a professor at undergrad asked what was the point of college and he said, "college is where you learn how to learn."

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yeah, you won't go far without the degree. Captain, maybe major at most without it.

There are exceptions, of course. Chuck Yaeger is one, but he did attend the War College. OTOH, he had other things going for him obviously.

These days you won't even commission without a degree.

There was a time when one could go to Army OCS and commission while they were still earning their degree but those days are gone, I think that ended in 2013 or so. They had so much time to complete their degree upon commissioning.

At least in the civil affairs world, having a graduate degree and X years of experience in a certain specialty can qualify you for the 38G designator MOS.

I think Intermediate Level Education (ILE) graduates, the school for Army O4s, end up with a masters or nearly a masters. I don't really see it as a "real" masters but whatever. It's more of like a check the box type of thing to me. I've seen people in the military with degrees from schools like American Military University, Webster, Kaplan or one of those mills that gave you a degree with payment and minimal work.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post