SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Closed Captioning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Closed Captioning Login/Join 
posted
I am dismayed that the TV networks do not spend the money to have adequate captioning. All the TCM films have it. I am in the impact zone for Ida and was watching the coverage. Closed captioning made no sense. I will admit it was funny when the anchor who was speaking Spanish was on the beach in heavy wind. The closed captioning spoke of Idaho and potatoes.

Any thoughts or insights??

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
You are comparing captions between prerecorded programmings and live reporting. Films and TV shows have time to transcript dialogs for captioning, while live news rely on how fast someone can keep up, or voice to text for captioning. It's much improved now, but it obviously has its limitations.

Posts: 2638 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran into a lady that did closed captioning for a living. She said its exactly what a court stenographer would do.

She worked out of her house. During a live broadcast she would have to watch the broadcast and then transcribe everything onto her little machine. Did you ever notice the closed captioning is slightly delayed during a live broadcast? Well that is because she literally has a second or two to type everything.

Closed captioning for a movie would be a lot simpler as there is no time constraint for the transcription.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
She worked out of her house. During a live broadcast she would have to watch the broadcast and then transcribe everything onto her little machine. Did you ever notice the closed captioning is slightly delayed during a live broadcast? Well that is because she literally has a second or two to type everything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So I guess it comes down to money. I have read lengthy legal transcipts and they are surprisingly accurate. I would love to see this on a more regular basis.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, if it wasn't for closed captioning I wouldn't know much about what was said. Damn good thing I have always been a pretty fast reader.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my only complaint is the contrast or color of some of the subtitles,

was watching something the other day, and they used a lighter color for the subtitles, on a light background part of the movie,

so I could not see a part of what they were 'saying' since is blended in with the background

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Shoot, if it wasn't for closed captioning I wouldn't know much about what was said. Damn good thing I have always been a pretty fast reader.

Having 3 kids, CC is what gets us through some shows after they're in bed. Our living room has 2-story ceilings & their rooms all just about face into it.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
my only complaint is the contrast or color of some of the subtitles,

was watching something the other day, and they used a lighter color for the subtitles, on a light background part of the movie,

so I could not see a part of what they were 'saying' since is blended in with the background

This, and poorly placed CCs. Sometimes an ad or logo isi n the same place & obscures it or makes them tough to read.
Though, we do use YouTubeTV, so we could probably adjust the CC style to avoid that. I currently have the CC background pretty light, as with F1 it would obscure some of the racing and/or telemetry graphics.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I admit, we had CC turned “on” by accident and I’ve gotten hooked. Some of the BBC dramas we’ve watched feature actors with such heavy Scottish accents, I couldn’t follow them without CC haha.

It is funny to me how, even on a streamed program (i.e., NOT live) how the CC can still be off in terms of the exact line being spoken.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So I guess it comes down to money. I have read lengthy legal transcipts and they are surprisingly accurate. I would love to see this on a more regular basis.

Court reporters take it down phonetically - it is sort of a machine shorthand. (For example, the shorthand types "their," "they're," and "there" the same. You pick the right one later.) Then, later, their computer translates the shorthand to English, and the reporter re-reads it and corrects the transliteration of the shorthand. It isn't a one step process, like the close captioner does.

Now, I have read raw, translated-only court reporter's transcription. Some reporters take shorthand better than others, and their raw transcripts can vary in quality.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Court reporters take it down phonetically - it is sort of a machine shorthand. (For example, the shorthand types "their," "they're," and "there" the same. You pick the right one later.) Then, later, their computer translates the shorthand to English, and the reporter re-reads it and corrects the transliteration of the shorthand. It isn't a one step process, like the close captioner does.

Now, I have read raw, translated-only court reporter's transcription. Some reporters take shorthand better than others, and their raw transcripts can vary in quality.

I knew they used a shorthand, but didn't know that it was a multi-step process.
Interesting factoid for a Monday.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I didn't realize how complicated and time consuming it was until I dated a Court Reporter and watched her produce a transcript from the tape from her machine. Over the years this has gotten much more sophisticated with softwear able to transcribe the raw tape and only requiring the Court Reported to read through to make "sound alike" selections.

He biggest complaint/expense was having to have her transcripts bound before submitting them to both sides in Civil cases. It had never previously occurred to me that they would try to make copies rather than pay for her work product

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
my only complaint is the contrast or color of some of the subtitles...
There is a remedy if you're watching cable. The cable box also offer CC, and allows you to change the color, size, and even font.

Posts: 2638 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post