SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple® iOS Updates...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple® iOS Updates... Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I also like that Google Maps can be set to either Light Mode or Dark Mode while Apple displays every street in bright white even at night.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just read that iOS 17.4 has 118 new emojis. Oh boy. Thanks to Tim (bean counter) Cook for that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I always download and use the IPSW file for updating, and keep the last prior until Apple stops signing it (about two weeks later). With the older IPSW, you can always downgrade seamlessly if the new one screws you up.

Thanks for that tip Henry. How do you do that?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I just read that iOS 17.4 has 118 new emojis. Oh boy. Thanks to Tim (bean counter) Cook for that.
Yeah, because that's what we really needed: More emojis

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yeah, because that's what we really needed: More emojis

Pretty soon we can text in all emojis, and then will have gone full-circle. Remember hieroglyphics? Now it's emoji-glyphics... Razz

Posts: 4606 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This is precisely why I don’t rush to update. So there’s a new major update, who cares? Let it go a couple weeks and let them fix the issues with a .1 update.
Here's why that may sometimes be a bad idea:
quote:
Apple Releases iOS/iPadOS Updates with Zero Day Fixes.

Published: 2024-03-05
Last Updated: 2024-03-05 19:28:28 UTC
by Johannes Ullrich (Version: 1)

Apple today released iOS 17.4 as well as iOS 16.7.6 (and the respective iPadOS versions). These updates fix a total of four vulnerabilities. Two of the vulnerabilities are already being exploited. CVE-2024-23225 is a privilege escalation issue and only affects iOS 17 as well as iOS 16. The second already exploited vulnerability, CVE-2024-23296, only affects iOS 17.

We rated the exploited vulnerabilities as "important", not "critical". They appear to only allow for privilege escalation.

Read the full entry: https://isc.sans.edu/diary/App...ero+Day+Fixes/30716/
Sometimes those zero-day vulnerabilities are critical and are being actively exploited by the time of the update.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
What Ensigmatic said, of course. I update as soon as I can if it's a security fix. Apple takes these seriously, I think I should too.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I always download and use the IPSW file for updating, and keep the last prior until Apple stops signing it (about two weeks later). With the older IPSW, you can always downgrade seamlessly if the new one screws you up.

Thanks for that tip Henry. How do you do that?

ipsw.me
They link directly to Apple servers for the download.

After downloading the ipsw file, plug your phone into your computer, hold down the Option key while you click on "Check for Updates". That will put you in browse mode where you can browse to the downloaded file.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Sometimes those zero-day vulnerabilities are critical and are being actively exploited by the time of the update.

Yeahhh... Arent .4 and .6 considered .1 updates that fix problems? .0 updates would be the ones to hold back on prior to fixes being found.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post