SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple® iOS Updates...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple® iOS Updates... Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Every single time these assholes update their iOS, they fuck something up! Usually it's Siri, but this latest one really roasted navigation via the Maps app!

Went for a drive during the night as I suffer from insomnia, and sometimes a drive will calm me down enough to sleep. Decided to drive by one of my favorite fishing holes of past years, and started towards it based on memory... in the middle of the night... while it's raining; bad idea! Got pretty close to it from memory (haven't been there in several years) but decided to ask Siri for directions. For once Siri actually works well and it immediately provided directions to the lake... or so I thought!

As mentioned, I was close; only about 6 miles as the crow flies. I followed the directions turn-by-turn and something just didn't feel right as I was driving way too far. I ended the navigation and restarted it, and the app had me backtrack the way I had just driven for quite a ways, then made a loop around to near where I had just been when I restarted! I ended up way the hell far from where I should have been, so restarted the navigation YET AGAIN, and it took me right back to where I had come from, only a few miles from where I initiated it the very first time, but at least this time I found the lake!

What should have been no more than a 20-30 mile round trip ended up clocking just shy of 100 miles... all within my own county! Now initially I thought the rain/drizzle may be interfering with my GPS location, but then I remembered that it always knew exactly where I was, it just gave shitty directions! Thanks a lot Apple! You suck donkey dicks!!! Mad (At least Siri works right again, so I guess I can't complain about THAT app this time!)

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
But were you then able to get some sleep???

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
But were you then able to get some sleep???

Not a wink! Still awake 12 hours later! LOL...

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an Apple guy but my wife is definitely an Apple girl. I hear her complaining about her phone updates a lot. I stay away from getting involved but do hear about it.

Posts: 7648 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I can’t remember ever having an issue with an iOS update, at least not in many, many years, and I’ve had iPhones since the very first one.

Could be worse and have a Samsung that got bricked by their recent update.

Posts: 3403 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is precisely why I don’t rush to update. So there’s a new major update, who cares? Let it go a couple weeks and let them fix the issues with a .1 update.

I learned this early on that you’re considered a beta tester for these updates and I’m not playing that game.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m an Apple guy, but Google maps is far superior to Apple Maps IMO. Especially for navigation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mapquest is even better!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m an Apple guy, but Google maps is far superior to Apple Maps IMO. Especially for navigation.

When was the last time you used Apple Maps?

I was of the same opinion and for years I used Google Maps and would not use Apple Maps but recently switched back and it actually is quite good now and I think better in many ways than Google Maps now.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I am all Apple, all the time. I have never had an update cause an issue or problem. I usually wait a week or two between when one comes out and when I do it.

As for navigation, I prefer google or Waze over maps

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I use Apple Maps almost exclusively over Google now; sometimes more ‘remote areas’ around lakes and such can be pretty wonky , but for the most part I like it.

Very much looking forward to IOS 18, am hearing that Seri is getting a complete AI revamp.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12390 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been using iThings for seven years. So far no iOS, iPadOS, WatchOS, or tvOS updates have resulted in disaster. (Knock on wood.)

As for Apple Maps leading one astray: My wife and I, between us, have used a variety of GPS tools (Garmin, TomTom, Google Maps, Apple Maps, various other GPS mobile apps, Uconnect) and every one of them has occasionally given us wonky results.

You can't just blindly follow what a GPS or map app is telling you. You have to employ a modicum of sense.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You can't just blindly follow what a GPS or map app is telling you. You have to employ a modicum of sense.

No you cannot. But you can be like my wife and fight the GPS the entire time. She uses Waze still and will actually snarl at it and tell it how wrong it is then get stuck in traffic because she second guessed it trying to get her around something. It’s actually funny to watch her do it.

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This is precisely why I don’t rush to update. So there’s a new major update, who cares? Let it go a couple weeks and let them fix the issues with a .1 update.<<snip>>

Agreed! I never update immediately, and will usually wait several weeks minimum before I do, and then only if I feel that I really NEED to!

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We've been Apple for nearly 20 years.

No disasters with an update, but beware that they pretty much always screw with or add features which negate privacy settings. They'll turn on wifi, bluetooth, enable ad tracking, etc.

I always have to go back through settings to be sure my privacy is restored.

The new features are sometimes disguised or just snuck in there, which reduce privacy.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

No disasters with an update, but beware that they pretty much always screw with or add features which negate privacy settings. They'll turn on wifi, bluetooth, enable ad tracking, etc.

This is one of my biggest annoyances with Apple. I don't keep BT on 24/7. I rarely use it, sometimes for my Bose speaker but that's it. My car is old and I use an Aux cable to listen to Spotify there. EVERY DOGGONE TIME I do an update, they turn BT back on for me! Why can't updates not screw with settings like that?

posted Hide Post
The last update bricked my phone even though I waited several weeks. Had to buy a new phone. You think people would tire of this shit.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I always download and use the IPSW file for updating, and keep the last prior until Apple stops signing it (about two weeks later). With the older IPSW, you can always downgrade seamlessly if the new one screws you up.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
When was the last time you used Apple Maps?

I was of the same opinion and for years I used Google Maps and would not use Apple Maps but recently switched back and it actually is quite good now and I think better in many ways than Google Maps now.

I use Apple CarPlay constantly and on the main screen it tries to default to Apple Maps unless you tell it to run in Google Maps. Google is far easier to read and also does a much better job updating you on traffic jams and closures better. About the only thing Apple Maps does better is showing you landmarks while driving.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
<<snip>> Google is far easier to read and also does a much better job updating you on traffic jams and closures better. About the only thing Apple Maps does better is showing you landmarks while driving.

I have only used Apple Maps or Waze so far... never tried Google Maps for on-road navigation. Will check it out ASAP and see what I think of it!