SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS In My Area Set A New Record Yesterday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS In My Area Set A New Record Yesterday Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
Delivered my mail at 9:25PM.

Definitely an all time record for the latest mail delivery.

It's interesting that they switch the mail delivery person about every 2 or 3 weeks.

When a guy is delivering, I get mail at somewhere between 1PM and 2PM.

When a woman is delivering, I get mail at 5:30PM to 6:30PM.

I wonder who delivered last night? Couldn't have been a man or a woman. Maybe a tranny?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Our mail carrier will do laps in our neighborhood, stop, leave, come back, deliver again, and just when you think their done will come back again. No wonder they are losing money. And yes its the same one.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Our mail carrier will do laps in our neighborhood, stop, leave, come back, deliver again, and just when you think their done will come back again. No wonder they are losing money. And yes its the same one.

Mine signed a certified letter for me several days ago and stuck it in the mailbox. Eek

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's interesting that they switch the mail delivery person about every 2 or 3 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a route NOBODY wants. The carriers compete for the best routes. The older carriers get the shortest routes with the least mail.
It is technically against postal regulations to deliver after dark due to safety issues, but if the carrier has seniority they do what they want.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’ll only get worse around Christmas time usually.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I routinely see my guy in the neighborhood until after 9:00 p.m. I don’t even bother checking for the mail until after 8:00 p.m.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I wonder who delivered last night? Couldn't have been a man or a woman. Maybe a tranny?

I'd say your Tranny is slipping, needs to R&R and do an internal inspection. Probably too late for a fluid drain and refill.

LOL.. Eek

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they belong to the postal union how much they get for overtime?

Years ago my sister in law who lived on Capital Hill in D.C. did not get mail for a week. Seems the carrier got barked at by a neighbors dog and he or she decided to no longer deliver on that block. I've always wondered what the postal service did about that.... he letter carrier probably got a reprimand and moved to a different route. You or I would have been put in jail.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Unless something has changed in the last 5 years at the P.O. Regular Carriers "own" their routes once they have successfully "won" it in the bidding process. There is a "substitute carrier" assigned to cover the regular's days off, sick time and vacations. If there are not enough subs to cover all the routes random subs are assigned as needed (this is where most delivery issue can happen).

Once a route is "owned" by a "regular" mail carrier it is his/hers until they retire, win a bid on a better route or get fired (almost impossible). Bids are won based on seniority so when the "owner" of a good, better or the best route retires everyone who is interested in that route bids on that specific route or lists other routes in order of preference (based on who might move into the better route and what opening(s) occur in the shuffle).

The process can take weeks or even months to work itself out. In the meantime, a sub should be assigned to cover the route until the bidding process and assignment of the new regular is completed by/in management process. Subs who bid end up on the bottom/worst route waiting for something better to open up.

A couple of years after I retired from my real job, I took a "part time" job as a "rural" sub/carrier (as opposed to a "city" sub/carrier) because I was looking to alleviate the doldrums of retirement. I worked it for 3 years. I left because I had "aged" into a point where I would be "promoted" into a position where more hours would be forced on me or I would have bid into an undesirable route and work even more hours. Either way my 46 average hour per week "part time" job was already more than I had bargained for.

Oh...and BTW, there is no added benefit for a regular carrier to work late. They are paid according to the length of their route. Basically, route #21 is a "J" route. It pays 48 hours of the carrier's hourly rate with overtime built in. If they finish their week in 32 hours, they still get paid for 48. If they finish in 52 hrs, they get paid 48. Most are done in less than the assigned time for their routes but Christmas season balances some of that out.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
Oh...and BTW, there is no added benefit for a regular carrier to work late. They are paid according to the length of their route. Basically, route #21 is a "J" route. It pays 48 hours of the carrier's hourly rate with overtime built in. If they finish their week in 32 hours, they still get paid for 48. If they finish in 52 hrs, they get paid 48. Most are done in less than the assigned time for their routes but Christmas season balances some of that out.

I'm assuming you're still talking about rural carriers, since they're salaried where city carriers are hourly.

As far as the OPs statement that they switch carriers every few weeks, I'm guessing that route is open/they don't have enough carriers--regular or otherwise/or have such high turnaround that their CCAs keep quitting before a routine can be established.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

CCAs
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I wonder if they belong to the postal union how much they get for overtime?

Years ago my sister in law who lived on Capital Hill in D.C. did not get mail for a week. Seems the carrier got barked at by a neighbors dog and he or she decided to no longer deliver on that block. I've always wondered what the postal service did about that.... he letter carrier probably got a reprimand and moved to a different route. You or I would have been put in jail.

Union has nothing to do with how much overtime you get.
Dog at large, I guess you should get your neighbor to put their fucking dog up. Post Office has NOTHING to do with your dog biting a carrier, nothing. It's a civil matter. So if say, a 90lb pitbull rips that carriers face off, what happens? There was a rural carrier killed a few months ago by a pack of stray dogs. Oh well. Guess you shouldn't have walked down that street.
Put in jail for what? Not delivering mail? I don't deliver peoples mail all the time for a multitude of reason, roofing, dog shit, stand off with police, stand off with US Marshalls, maybe it's DEA Thursday, maybe that meth house finally burned and the toxic fumes are still lingering.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

CCAs
Confused

City Carrier Assistant. Glorified minimum wage employees. They quit so quickly they are now starting to baby them. Time as a CCA doesn't count towards your retirement, no benefits. You can make just as much working retail or McDonalds. So when people realize this isn't a job you just show up and "Oh geez it sure is nice today"
When you walk in freezing rain for 10 or so hours, that's when you decide if it's really worth what they pay you.

BTW: My record was 10pm, day after Columbus day 2013.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Way back, years ago, I met a guy who was a mail carrier. Very bright guy, just too lazy to go out into the busy world, so he decided to deliver mail for 20 years and then retire.

He'd arrive at work at 6 am and then return the vehicle at 11:30, go home and shower, then go to lunch with me.

Of course other employees complained, so they shifted him around to the more difficult routes.

Same thing happened. He still finished up, showered and went to lunch with me.

The Post Office ultimately gave up and left him alone.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm assuming you're still talking about rural carriers, since they're salaried where city carriers are hourly.

As far as the OPs statement that they switch carriers every few weeks, I'm guessing that route is open/they don't have enough carriers--regular or otherwise/or have such high turnaround that their CCAs keep quitting before a routine can be established.

AFAIK both city and rural carriers pay is based on the route hours (be it a "J" "K" or "L" route for example) times their hourly rate. A "J" route might be 48 hours a "K" route may be 50 hours. So a "J" route would pay 40 hours of regular time plus 8 hours of overtime regardless of actual time spent completing the route. Most everyone's base hourly rate is different depending on how long they long they've been employed and how many contract negotiated pay increases have occurred during their tenure.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do your mail carriers look like walking ragbags?

Because around here they do, it’s embarrassing

UPS/FedEx/Amazon are dressed professionally. USPS looks like shitbags in half worn uniforms, shirttails hanging out, baseball caps, you name it. Just unprofessional

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Around here, there's no uniforms at all, just shorts, levis, t-shirts and, in some cases, boonie hats.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
AFAIK both city and rural carriers pay is based on the route hours (be it a "J" "K" or "L" route for example) times their hourly rate. A "J" route might be 48 hours a "K" route may be 50 hours. So a "J" route would pay 40 hours of regular time plus 8 hours of overtime regardless of actual time spent completing the route. Most everyone's base hourly rate is different depending on how long they long they've been employed and how many contract negotiated pay increases have occurred during their tenure.

I'm unaware of such a policy. That sounds like something like San Francisco bus drivers, who I do know get paid differently based on the route they drive.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delivery time at my Dad's house has fluctuated a lot. I've seen 8:30PM to 9PM a few times. I also know that a carrier for the area committed suicide during the pandemic. I've talked to a few carriers, and they're working extra hours and splitting routes that aren't covered on any day.

One of our local stations had an article about it yesterday:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...41539f4d9bc23fddd616

USPS workers working later hours due to worker shortage

SACRAMENTO — A shortage of workers has led to United States Postal Service workers having to work later, sometimes delivering at night.

"We're seeing postal trucks going around our neighborhoods at eight at night trying to do what they need to do," said a homeowner.

She says her mail shows up late and, sometimes, not at all.

But why is mail taking longer and arriving later in the day?

"We do have pockets within the north state that are in need of more workers and more carriers," said a USPS representative.

Current latter carriers are working overtime hours to compensate.

The USPS says there are policies in place to protect employees from working after dark.

"They have headlamps while they're delivering at night, and often we have them delivering in pairs," said the representative.

The USPS says letter carriers are paid extra when they work overtime, and the extra shifts are optional.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And to update my thread, I did a deal with another forum member, bought a new Sig RomeoZero from him and he shipped USPS.

It arrived last night at 8:11PM, so they're improving...I think.

I've decided that the USPS is a retirement club that delivers mail as a hobby. I wish someone like Amazon would take it over.