SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows rearranges my Desktop on restart. GRR!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows rearranges my Desktop on restart. GRR! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I'm so annoyed with this, I'm not even sure how to rant about it properly. Every time there's a system restart, my (Win 10) PC rearranges the icons on the desktop. Every. Stinking. Time.

This is part of the reason I don't restart often, I suppose -- I rely on the sleep function most of the time.

Anyway... every bloody time Windows restarts, it scrambles the icons. Why, Microsoft, just frickin' why? Do you have some incessant need to screw with our heads and waste our time? I have things grouped such that they work for me not for your entertainment, you bunch of weenies!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't do that. I reboot every day.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never seen that.
Do you have the desktop set to auto arrange, which will pull all icons to the top left?
Right click desktop, one of the options has auto arrange in it. Try turning that off.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Do you have the desktop set to auto arrange, which will pull all icons to the top left?
Right click desktop, one of the options has auto arrange in it. Try turning that off.

Here's the current setting:

It's not that it brings things top-left, it scrambles them all over the place.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Have you searched the internet for possible solutions?

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Do you have the monitor resolution set to a non-native setting? I’m thinking Windows must set it to your choice after it loads the desktop. Windows is still quirky after all these years. I know when I charge monitor resolutions my desktop icons scramble all over the place. Makes no sense.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Do you change resolutions?

Posts: 173 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this.

http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Do you have the monitor resolution set to a non-native setting? I’m thinking Windows must set it to your choice after it loads the desktop. Windows is still quirky after all these years. I know when I charge monitor resolutions my desktop icons scramble all over the place. Makes no sense.

I don't -- it's 1980x1020 -- but I understand what you're saying. I've seen "the scramble" when connecting my work laptop to an external monitor with different resolution.

quote:
Originally posted by skywag:
Do you change resolutions?

I don't (thankfully).

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Take a look at this.

http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Thank you, Mr. Monkey, I'll check it out.

God bless America.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I restart every day also and occasionally twice a day.

Never had this happen to me. If it did, it would drive me nuts though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why i don't use the desktop + restart every day!

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't do it normally, but now and then if I add something new - either a file or an app shortcut - to my desktop, it will move it to some seemingly random place. Trick is, in the desktop context menu there's a "Refresh" option. That will "lock" all you desktop icons in their current locations. Until the next time you add something new, anyway. And no, the name of it is not very intuitive.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mine just did this after an update. I had them all arranged where I want them. Restart, now they are packed tightly in the upper left hand corner. Need to rearrange them on Tuesday.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My work computer drives me nuts. Desktop full of shortcut icons for programs I do not, some I can not, use. But I can't remove them. (not without administrative right). Most I have stuck in the corner of my right monitor, out of the way. There are two however that move back to the left side of the left screen. If I move them, in a couple minutes time they move back. If I put other things in that spot, it moves them out of the way and and they go there. Grrrr...

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The work PC doesn't often scramble things these days, though my annoyance there comes from [corporate] Big Brother putting shortcuts on my desktop for things I don't need or use. I have a folder for that mess, called "Not needed on the desktop," and I'm constantly overwriting the shortcuts Big Brother farmed down to my PC just days ago.

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Like the Energizer bunny, the desktop scramblings just keep going.

Darn you, Microsoft! Mad

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The work PC doesn't often scramble things these days, though my annoyance there comes from [corporate] Big Brother putting shortcuts on my desktop for things I don't need or use. I have a folder for that mess, called "Not needed on the desktop," and I'm constantly overwriting the shortcuts Big Brother farmed down to my PC just days ago.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This behavior only occurs on the desktops of compulsive people or Engineers.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Engineers.

Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Try the small freeware program DesktopOK. http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

Seems to work well and has a bunch of configurable parameters so you can probably get it set the way you like it.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post