SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My first Apple complaint
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Apple complaint Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
Just got a new iPhone 13 Pro Max and love it so far. However those cheap bastards saw fit to not include a charger wall block, no big except that they changed the fucking plug from USB type A to USB Type C! So now if I want to charge in my vehicle which has USB ports (a 2021) I have to use my old cord or buy an adapter. I get it the bean counters figured out that they could save a bunch by not including the block, But with a $1200 retail phone could they not at least throw in an adapter?
All that said, Verizon allowed me $800 trade value on my old XS Max towards the 13 Pro which was a smoking deal!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. Does the 13 still use the lightning port? If so why can't you use all of your old cords and chargers?

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Still uses the lightning, but the cord end was changed from USB to USB type C. So none of the old charger blocks will work with the new cord.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand. So long as the 13 has a Lightning connection, you can charge it with any wall or car charger that you used before.

When I got my 12 pro it did not have a charger either. I just use the ones I had from my 7plus. I have no noticed anything working less efficiently or any out of the ordinary issues.

The difference is in the wall charger, it's faster (so they say) but the older chargers will still charge your phone.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Four or five bucks for your choice of USB-A to Lighning cable, or USB-C wall wart, or USB-C cigarette lighter charger. Any of those will solve your problem, in the event that you do not have any USB-A to lightning cables on hand, left over from your XS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Apple USB—C to Lightning cords support fast charging when connected to 18 watt chargers. The Apple USB-A to Lightning cords do not. All USB-A chargers are max 12 watts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I still don't understand. So long as the 13 has a Lightning connection, you can charge it with any wall or car charger that you used before.

It doesn't have a USB connector on the other end. It has a USB C connector.

OP: Just use your old USB/Lightning cables.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

It doesn't have a USB connector on the other end. It has a USB C connector.

OP: Just use your old USB/Lightning cables.

Yes, I know. I didn't see what the OP's problem was with using the old chargers & cords.I should have phrased my sentence better. Your solution is the same as mine, I believe.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think the complaint is, it’s a $1,000+ phone. Toss in a dang charge cord plug-in.

I’ve got a ton of cords, and a ton of wall plugs. I don’t think I’ve got a single dedicated USBc one though. What makes it more annoying is my otterbox on my iPhone 12 won’t work with my wireless charger that my old phone, my work phone, my kids’ phones, and my wife’s phone will work on. Same damn otterbox as some of them, too.

Annoying all around.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I believe Apple's reasoning is people already have a bunch of USB wall warts from years of buying electronic devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan of USB-C so far. I like that they are symmetrical, but they seem fragile.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What do they expect first time iPhone buyers to do? Not including a charger doesn’t make sense.

Btw, don’t the new USB c chargers enable faster charging? May be good especially for car?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I use an induction pad regardless.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe Apple's reasoning is people already have a bunch of USB wall warts from years of buying electronic devices.

Yeah, at some point it becomes a part you throw out when you get it, or toss in a junk drawer in the kitchen for when you somehow lose one of the dozen you own.

Im on a trip and I’ve got two wall plugs plus a USB charger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Apple stuff, but the high end phones cost/do more that I need. I stick with the SE. Of course, even those use the new earbuds now.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
But, but, you don't need an extra charger anyway. If you did, they are sure it would be bad for the environment. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9108 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What do they expect first time iPhone buyers to do?

First time phone buyers, maybe, but a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, at some point it becomes a part you throw out when you get it, or toss in a junk drawer in the kitchen for when you somehow lose one of the dozen you own.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read Apple had done some research and found that was what was happening more times than not, these days. Thus their decision not to include them any more.

I know we have more than we'll ever need.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Btw, don’t the new USB c chargers enable faster charging?

They do, but Apple doesn’t include one. The power conductors in the old USB-A cords are sized for 12 watts max, therefore, all USB-A type chargers are 12 watts max.

USB-C cords can have much larger power conductors, sized for up to 240 watts in fact. The Apple USB-C to Lighting cord is rated for 18 watts, but again, Apple doesn’t include a charger so it’s up to you to buy one if you want to quick charge your phone. The Apple charger is $19 on Amazon, so Apple is absolutely being cheap by not including one.

quote:
but a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart.

This is just not true. Apple used to include 5 watt USB-A wall warts with their iPhones. I think I’ve finally managed to throw all those away as they take 8 hours to charge a phone and Lord help you if you try to charge an iPad with one.

USB-C wall warts run from 18 watts on up to 240 watts. I just ordered a 30 watt one from Amazon to power my tablet and USB-C docking station.

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Apple charger is $19 on Amazon
Monoprice has them, too. One of the chargers shown on the Monoprice has two ports, one USB-A and one USB-C. Useful if you have a mix of old and new USB cables.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
... but a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart is a USB wall wart.

This is just not true. ...

USB-C wall warts run from 18 watts on up to 240 watts.

Yes, but I didn't write "USB C." I wrote, specifically, "USB" (implying, or so I thought, "USB A," which once-upon-a-time was "USB").

I concede your point about the new iPhones and USB C, but I was replying specifically to konata88's plaint of "What do first-time iPhone buyers do?" My point was: Use whatever USB wall wart is laying about.