SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Butter beans. They got the power..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butter beans. They got the power.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I dont get them very often. I love the darn things with butter, salt and pepper. So it is easy to eat the whole can. They are damn good and as I read, good for you. Seppin for a little issue with a methane cloud the day after... Mad How the hell does a human retain that much gas and not explode? It has just about totally passed and I feel relieved. The inner net says the gassiest beans are soy. Some guy named Meshits cut one that measured 190 decibles. I would think that could cause hearing damage. Any how, I love them butter beans.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I love most beans. Runs in the family. When I was a kid lunch often featured a BIG bowl of navy beans for the four of us. I liked ketchup on mine.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8844 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like black beans in chili and lots of them. They are tender and sweet. And Bushs from a can are easy to eat. Seems like my Mother used to put butter beans over corn bread.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ode to a legume...

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Good morning Para.. Big Grin. That was a bodacious tune right there.. Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
There used to be a local restaurant that served butterbean soup in a clear ham/chicken stock with a raft of non-sweet cornbread festooned with real creamery butter and freshly chopped Vidalia onion.

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That could be breakfast, lunch or dinner RichardC. I like everything about that.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Who writes a song about butter beans? Big Grin

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Butter Beans from a can?

Sorry, I can't even imagine that.... I do eat other beans from a can but I don't think I could do butter beans.... too many memories of the ones my Grandmother cooked after shelling them on the front porch for hours.... secret ingredient was ... love.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My Mother and Grand Mother used to do this too Blume. Canning as well but men gotta eat the best they can. Heck, butter beans from a can are just fine.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
canned butterbeans or lima's are nasty,

get some frozen, steamer bag or not, Fordhook

boil and then add a can or white corn,
about a 1/2 stick of butter (or less)

and a heaping dash of black pepper,

delicious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thats a hoot HRK.. Big Grin. They are not nasty at all lyman. They taste good and I enjoyed them. Dont always have the option to cook the best so making due is just fine.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
People gotta eat some things that are good for them. Many seem too damn afraid to eat something adult. Real butter is good but I'm just not going to churn my own when I can get it at Kroger. People wont serve or eat onions or beans or garlic. Green stuff is a absolute in your diet. My canned butter beans were delicious.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve been known to eat butter beans straight from the can, unheated. I may add a touch of vinegar.

The preferred type are the ‘seasoned’ variety. Yes, one can be on the high gassy side afterwards, kinda like after OD’ing on home made bean soup.

I’d think they should be kinda healthy to eat.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You lost me at "can"..... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12347 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Butter Beans from a can?...

LOL

First thing I thought.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43802 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well they do start out life on the plant... Big Grin Givin a little time, sun light and water and they get picked by machine, cleaned and cooked and yes, put in cans. They stay quite fresh and only require heating and seasoning. Nen yer off to eating and passing gas.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
After receiving a shipment of about 10 different legumes from Beancooker‘s company, my kids couldn’t stop cracking jokes about the essential requirement for gas masks …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Butter beans are Lima Beans.

Buy a couple 1-pound bags of Lima Beans, either small or large beans, whatever you like, make 1 bag at a time. Cooks just about like any other bean.

Add your butter and spices that you like.

Canned beans usually have a LOT of Sodium (salt) that may not be so good for you.

Cook your own, control your Sodium, make'em taste good without using too much Sodium.

I make mine from scratch as described. I also add a little bit of granulated onion, granulated garlic, some finely diced ham, whatever else I can think of that I have on hand.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post