SIGforum
Butter beans. They got the power..

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8130099094

April 06, 2022, 07:31 AM
David Lee
Butter beans. They got the power..
I dont get them very often. I love the darn things with butter, salt and pepper. So it is easy to eat the whole can. They are damn good and as I read, good for you. Seppin for a little issue with a methane cloud the day after... Mad How the hell does a human retain that much gas and not explode? It has just about totally passed and I feel relieved. The inner net says the gassiest beans are soy. Some guy named Meshits cut one that measured 190 decibles. I would think that could cause hearing damage. Any how, I love them butter beans.
April 06, 2022, 07:43 AM
Pipe Smoker
I love most beans. Runs in the family. When I was a kid lunch often featured a BIG bowl of navy beans for the four of us. I liked ketchup on mine.

Serious about crackers
April 06, 2022, 07:50 AM
David Lee
I like black beans in chili and lots of them. They are tender and sweet. And Bushs from a can are easy to eat. Seems like my Mother used to put butter beans over corn bread.
April 06, 2022, 07:58 AM
parabellum
Ode to a legume...

April 06, 2022, 08:06 AM
David Lee
Good morning Para.. Big Grin. That was a bodacious tune right there.. Big Grin
April 06, 2022, 08:13 AM
RichardC
There used to be a local restaurant that served butterbean soup in a clear ham/chicken stock with a raft of non-sweet cornbread festooned with real creamery butter and freshly chopped Vidalia onion.

April 06, 2022, 08:17 AM
David Lee
That could be breakfast, lunch or dinner RichardC. I like everything about that.
April 06, 2022, 08:18 AM
David Lee
Who writes a song about butter beans? Big Grin
April 06, 2022, 08:28 AM
Blume9mm
Butter Beans from a can?

Sorry, I can't even imagine that.... I do eat other beans from a can but I don't think I could do butter beans.... too many memories of the ones my Grandmother cooked after shelling them on the front porch for hours.... secret ingredient was ... love.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
April 06, 2022, 08:33 AM
David Lee
My Mother and Grand Mother used to do this too Blume. Canning as well but men gotta eat the best they can. Heck, butter beans from a can are just fine.
April 06, 2022, 09:36 AM
HRK

April 06, 2022, 09:43 AM
lyman
canned butterbeans or lima's are nasty,

get some frozen, steamer bag or not, Fordhook

boil and then add a can or white corn,
about a 1/2 stick of butter (or less)

and a heaping dash of black pepper,

delicious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

April 06, 2022, 09:52 AM
David Lee
Thats a hoot HRK.. Big Grin. They are not nasty at all lyman. They taste good and I enjoyed them. Dont always have the option to cook the best so making due is just fine.
April 06, 2022, 09:56 AM
David Lee
People gotta eat some things that are good for them. Many seem too damn afraid to eat something adult. Real butter is good but I'm just not going to churn my own when I can get it at Kroger. People wont serve or eat onions or beans or garlic. Green stuff is a absolute in your diet. My canned butter beans were delicious.
April 06, 2022, 10:21 AM
sourdough44
I’ve been known to eat butter beans straight from the can, unheated. I may add a touch of vinegar.

The preferred type are the ‘seasoned’ variety. Yes, one can be on the high gassy side afterwards, kinda like after OD’ing on home made bean soup.

I’d think they should be kinda healthy to eat.
April 06, 2022, 10:42 AM
Georgeair
You lost me at "can"..... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

April 06, 2022, 12:20 PM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Butter Beans from a can?...

LOL

First thing I thought.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
April 06, 2022, 12:40 PM
David Lee
Well they do start out life on the plant... Big Grin Givin a little time, sun light and water and they get picked by machine, cleaned and cooked and yes, put in cans. They stay quite fresh and only require heating and seasoning. Nen yer off to eating and passing gas.
April 06, 2022, 03:34 PM
SIGnified
After receiving a shipment of about 10 different legumes from Beancooker‘s company, my kids couldn’t stop cracking jokes about the essential requirement for gas masks …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
April 06, 2022, 05:51 PM
OKCGene
Butter beans are Lima Beans.

Buy a couple 1-pound bags of Lima Beans, either small or large beans, whatever you like, make 1 bag at a time. Cooks just about like any other bean.

Add your butter and spices that you like.

Canned beans usually have a LOT of Sodium (salt) that may not be so good for you.

Cook your own, control your Sodium, make'em taste good without using too much Sodium.

I make mine from scratch as described. I also add a little bit of granulated onion, granulated garlic, some finely diced ham, whatever else I can think of that I have on hand.