SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Enough with the cat pictures
Page 1 ... 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 ... 479
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough with the cat pictures Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I can't explain the genetics fully, but, essentially, yes. The genes that allow for ginger and black cats (tortoise shells) and the white spotting gene which overlays to make calicos (three colored) are sex linked. It takes two X chromosomes to make calico cats. The calico combination can exist only in female cats. When it exists in cats that have male genitals, those cats have genetic abnormalities like XXY chromosomes, and are virtually always sterile. Even the few that aren't sterile are not healthy.

In addition, if you get a rare fertile male calico, he cannot sire calicos, only tabbys.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffreyD103
posted Hide Post
Pic of The Queen. My Himalayan girl Sophie. With her shaggy winter coat:

Off to the groomers next month. She LOVES getting a fur cut.

----------------------------------------------------------
Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences.

Posts: 688 | Location: Reading, Penna. | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18099 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Funny you should post this. Just recently my cat has started "head-bonking" at first I just thought it was an anomaly but after three and four times now it's commonplace. He'll sit in my lap and let me pet him and then look up at me and crawl up my chest and nose dive into my face for a head-bonk. I seem to remember air soft guy mentioning that Agnes head-bonks I think also, I meant to ask him about this, it's pretty cool actually!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyD103:
Pic of The Queen. My Himalayan girl Sophie...

She's beautiful! My husband had a Himalayan when we married. She passed a few years ago and I still miss her. She was the sweetest cat, but dumb as a box of rocks, bless her heart. Is Sophie smart? I wasn't sure if that was a Himalayan trait.

Posts: 2695 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
http://www.vetstreet.com/our-p...-my-cat-head-butt-me

Why Does My Cat Do This?
According to Dr. Herron, this behavior is something that domestic cats share with their wild counterparts.

“Cats do this to deposit facial pheromones on people or objects in their environment,” explains Dr. Herron. “The head butting is actually something that we call bunting.”

Since kitties usually seem relaxed and friendly while bunting, people rightfully assume that it's a sign of affection or acceptance into the feline’s domain. But Dr. Herron says that bunting is a bit more nuanced.

“Rather than territorial marking or ‘claiming’ someone, as is commonly thought, cats do this to mark something as safe — sort of like leaving a signal of comfort and safety,” adds Dr. Herron. “So you could think of it as a sign that they are ‘trusting’ that person or environment.”

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7309 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJG:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
My wife made this quilt for our daughter at Christmas and her cat Lt. Nubbins felt it was his.

His? Not hers? Aren't all calico cats female?

Daughter lives in NC, didn't even give the calico gender thing a thought, I was sure it was a male cat but now I have to ask. I will report back.

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffreyD103
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits: ... She was the sweetest cat, but dumb as a box of rocks, bless her heart. ...

Sophie?

Oh my God yes. Big Grin

Not too dumb to find her way out of a room but... well, she's very sweet.

Seriously, she is such a good little girl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JeffreyD103,

----------------------------------------------------------
Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences.

Posts: 688 | Location: Reading, Penna. | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyD103:
Pic of The Queen. My Himalayan girl Sophie. With her shaggy winter coat:

Off to the groomers next month. She LOVES getting a fur cut.

Gorgeous feline, love the color of her coat and her eyes.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Real men head-bonk with kittehs.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kitty is a douche but my wife and sheltie love him. The bassett-mix tolerates him.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:

What a great image!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a great shot! Beautiful dog. And an expression of smugness that only a cat can display.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I can't explain the genetics fully, but, essentially, yes. The genes that allow for ginger and black cats (tortoise shells) and the white spotting gene which overlays to make calicos (three colored) are sex linked. It takes two X chromosomes to make calico cats. The calico combination can exist only in female cats. When it exists in cats that have male genitals, those cats have genetic abnormalities like XXY chromosomes, and are virtually always sterile. Even the few that aren't sterile are not healthy.

In addition, if you get a rare fertile male calico, he cannot sire calicos, only tabbys.

Early in my career I actually found one of these unicorns (male cali), and the story was picked up by the AP. Cat was actually reasonably healthy, if I recall correctly.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
What a great image!

Thanks. Kitty bites for the dog immediately followed that photo.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
This is Carlos, he was my shop cat for about 4hrs until my wife's boss nixed him being inside. Frown

He was in the wall of my wife's office for a day or two until they figured out where he went, our maintenance guy rescued him today and Christy brought him over. We were going to keep him around to keep the rats out, but noooo.

Cute little fucker, such eyes. We let him go outside the office so hopefully he will meet up with his siblings that prowl the grounds.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Got some from my aunt...

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Carlos snuck back into our shop overnight so we fostered him for the day. Christy is trying to find him a home, I sure hope she does, he's so GD cute.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
This is Carlos,

Take. Him. Home.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1879 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
This is Carlos,

Take. Him. Home.

I'd gladly send money to Jeff for a years supply of food for the little guy..I couldn't take him myself due to immediate health sh*t or I'd do it in a heartbeat. Please let me know and I'll make the arrangements with Jeff!

Regards, Will G.