SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Boy Who Called Out Sick
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boy Who Called Out Sick Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
One stands out to me from my management days.

One of the shop techs found out that I had a vacancy in the parts department. He told me his cousin needed a job, wife was ready to show him the door, lacked motivation and wanted to be a house husband. Talked his cousin up, said that he would drive him to and from work as he only had one car. The tech was a hard worker so as a favor to him I interviewed the guy and decided to give him a chance.

Ninety days were up, he always would have an excuse to miss at least one day a week and late a couple more. I started a sixty day record planning to have a long talk with him at the end of that time.

Well as he rode with his cousin things got interesting. Service manager called for a shop meeting. Usually I or my assistant manager would attend as representing the parts department. That evening I could not attend due to my wife being due at any moment fifty miles away,we lived in the rural Southwest. My assistant was unable to attend also. And as the trifecta, the Service Manager could not that night either due to a family emergency, leaving it to the shop foreman.

Two days later my assistant asked me if I authorized Don to go to the meeting in our places which I denied. Seems that he overheard Don bragging that he stayed for the meeting on the time clock,so,he was getting two hours pay for sitting there.

I retrieved the time card and verified that He did just that. So when he came back from lunch I took him to my office, showed him the time card and said “I understand you went to the shop meeting. I did not authorize you to attend as the representative of this department. If you attended this was on your own, you will not get paid for this.” And downhill it went from there.

We went back and forth. I intended the thing to end with my telling him “I’m not paying you extra time for this” which he countered with “Well it wasn’t overtime, I missed a day and a half earlier in the week!” Well, this was not the direction he should have gone. I showed him the calendar I had locked in the filing cabinet documenting his tardiness and absences and told him that I had planned having a meeting the following week with him, the service director and myself and giving him thirty days to clean up his act.

Well, his statement was that if he didn’t get paid for the meeting he was quitting. In front of him I wrote on his time card “Deduct two hours from Wednesday punched time, unauthorized punch time after normal business hours”. He grabbed the card and stormed to the time clock and punched out. As he walked out of the break room directly in front of the service window I asked him “Where are you going?” to which he told me to do something anatomically impossible to do. I looked at my assistant standing at my side, started laughing (pissed Don off all the more)and said “Arthur, I am going to take that as a voluntary termination of employment.”

Then to add icing on the cake, he actually had the balls to file for unemployment, lied and stated I terminated him for no cause. My statement of facts to the agency was just about the same as here including the manner of his resignation. We did not pay either.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8064 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is a single parent household. I just can’t tolerate those types of people in my life. It’s the same type of people who think they just have bad luck all the time.

I remember as a kid I tried to use the bad luck angle one time. My dad quickly stopped me and said “you make your own luck” and explained why if you are always doing the right thing your “luck” will consistently be better than the person who isn’t.

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get one your competitors to hire him.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Get one your competitors to hire him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 30+ years at my business, I've heard all of them.
I've had to deal with surprise funerals all the way to one guy getting a heads up before the sherrif deputies arrived.
My absolute favorite was the guy who called off because he locked himself inside his house.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Excessive absenteeism is grounds for the boot. If your state is "at-will" employment that makes the decision even easier.

Except for one time earlier this year when I had the sniffles and stayed home out of an abundance of caution not knowing if it was Covid, I haven't missed any work in at least 20 years. It has always (before Covid) been my policy that if I can stand and walk without keeling over, I go to work.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I am sick of the work at home assholes turning in shit amateur work.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34070 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
A while back I managed a Redi-Mix Concrete company that had 12 drivers.
One day a guy came in for an interview with his girlfriend. This guy had a certificate from a school in California (Trap Rock School) that stated he was trained and could drive the truck, Class B CDL required.
He could drive, did a decent job the first few months. Then he started missing Mondays, then other random days.
One Saturday he asked the owner for a loan of $300. He said he had gotten in trouble with some bad people. The owner lent him the money. The driver took the load of concrete, returned from his delivery and asked the owner for another $300 as he lost the money.
As we later found out, the driver was a heroin addict, The training for the job that he had documentation for was from a prison job training class.
On Monday morning no driver. Kind of expected. At 9:00am, I received a collect call from the county jail from the driver. Said he had a domestic with his girlfriend and needed bail money. CLICK.
A month or so later I found out that he had kicked the door in at his girlfriends house, raped her and then from the heroin passed out in the bed. The girlfriend didn't resist and then when he passed out she called the police.
He called collect for almost a year before realizing I would never except the charges.
After his sentence was up California came and took him to finish out his sentence out there.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Several years ago worked with a young fellow at a custom cabinet millwork shop who had trouble with getting to work on time due to numerous reasons such as extra heavy traffic / car troubles / over sleeping / etc. Good worker who knew his stuff but was constantly late. So the shop owners made arrangements for him to rent a apartment next door to the shop. His front door was approx 100yars from the shops time clock for clocking in. About 1 week after moving into this apartment he was being late to the point that someone would walk over and knock on his door. Finally shop let him go. ....... drill sgt.

Posts: 1938 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Might not be my problem anymore anyhow. The dipshits are bitching about my lights, again.

I've got some orange rope lights hung up in the guardshack, and I've maintained that if I'm forced to remove them, I'll quit.

"I got a great idea! Lets fuck with the one guy whos been there the longest, knows how to do everything, lets see if we can get him to quit without passing any of that on! Oh, and in a time when we absolutely cannot get/keep quality people, so it's more important than ever to maintain the ones we already have!"
~These Motherfuckers

I know I'm replicable, but just because something is replaceable doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep hitting it with a hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Halloween is over. Maybe remove the orange lights? Christmas is coming. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
We just hired a new guy at work. Hid cars tranny went tits up. He is taking the bus to work!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly 5 years in the Army with two combat tours in Vietnam. Then 24 years as a cop. Vested my retirement, went to work, ran a business for 20 more years.

Employees? No thanks, I'm sick to death of being a babysitter. Never again.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
tranny went tits up

Pics

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Once each week our new bilingual person in contractor sales has called out due to “ain’t got nobody to watch my kids” or “my schedule ain’t right.” : rolleyes:

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
We just hired a new guy at work. Hid cars tranny went tits up. He is taking the bus to work!

But he's coming to work, and on time, right? This is different from missing work.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
tranny went tits up

Pics

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
OHHHHH.... That kinda tranny.

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schedule him for 24 hours per week.
See if he can handle that.

Sears had three deliver people that were doing that.

After four weeks they cut there hours.

Shortly there after they were all in jail.
They were selling drugs full time,
and got caught.

They needed Sears as a source of income , on paper.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Airsoft Guy, the Raccoon Kid sounds like a real pearl. Guard duty sounds like a nice easy job after all the years I spent in corrections.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post