SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Boy Who Called Out Sick
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boy Who Called Out Sick Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted
Homedude has worked here for about two months, in that time he has made it through one week without calling out sick. Once. He's only gotta be here 32 hours a week, and he has done that one time. He even missed training because he was sick. He's 19. If you're 19 and you're sick enough every 5 ½ days that you need to call out or be relieved early, you're dying. You need to go to the hospital because you've got leukemia or something. It's a serious medical issue. Oh, now your car has been stolen too? Boy, you got the shittiest luck of any guard since we had ol' Pistol Paul the Raccoon Kid working for us.

Or you're full of shit.

People get sick, people have their cars stolen (the old lead had her car stolen right here at work, in front of the building and cameras and guardshack and everything), shit happens, but shit seems to happen at a higher rate with this kid. I'd be a lot more sympathetic if it wasn't a weekly occurrence. What good is having an employee that is not in any way reliable? What's the point if all weekend I'm just waiting for a call from the office because fucko has a tummy ache? Or I'm suddenly doing a 12 because he woke up “not feeling good”?

I wish I had the self esteem of these cocksuckers, because every day I roll out of bed thinking, “fuck my ass, I don't wanna go to work”, but then I remember if I don't go, someone else is getting the shaft, someone just like me. The Man isn't getting fucked. The System isn't getting fucked. I'm getting fucked.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I think I would express to him the very thing you posted here. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe he will quit and inconvenience someone else.

Good luck

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Fuck that guy

My wife works mostly with the ER, if someone calls out she can't leave. If someone calls out, everyone else gets screwed. We are dealing with one shitbag in particular, I'm sure he is trying to get on the permanent SSI disability teat

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hate those kinds of lazy MF's

I worked in an organization where we had people abuse the sick time so badly, they were going to take it away for everyone.

One gal had like 120 hours of sick time in a year, that's 3 TIMES the allotted amount. Mad

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Taken from the book of standard excuses...

1. I'm sick.
2. My car broke down.
3. My grandma died. (Well, she was not really my grandma, but we were sort of close.)
4. My cousin's car broke down and I had to take him to _insert_one_ (the doctor, court, the repair shop)
the list goes on.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Obviously Homedude's getting too many an hence the reason for his illnesses.

Maybe try cutting his hours in half - not for punitive reasons of course but, because you are a caring and empathetic type manager looking out for the health and welfare of said employee. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
One person at my job played the covid card and fibromyalgia every couple weeks. By the time they could fire her with cause she’d work fewer than 50% of her scheduled shifts.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Not at all surprised that they called out again today. His next scheduled day is Saturday, and I fully expect to get a phone call at 0500 that morning saying he's still out.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Obviously Homedude's getting too many an hence the reason for his illnesses.

Maybe try cutting his hours in half - not for punitive reasons of course but, because you are a caring and empathetic type manager looking out for the health and welfare of said employee. Wink

I don't have any power, as the lead I just get paid more to be yelled at when the people who are here, when I'm not, fail to do their job.

quote:

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Alcoholic.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Alcoholic.
Getting an early start on it, at age 19? Maybe. Or maybe just plain old immature and irresponsible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always tell. We'd bet who would call in the day after their 1 year probationary period ended.

One guy misjudged it by a day and we fired him. Saved the county thousands of $$ in workers comp claims.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the story behind Pistol Paul the Raccoon Kid?

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
You could always tell. We'd bet who would call in the day after their 1 year probationary period ended.

One guy misjudged it by a day and we fired him. Saved the county thousands of $$ in workers comp claims.

Like I said, he missed training calling out sick, three days in. That was a mulligan, just been downhill since then.

quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:

He was attacked by a "pack of raccoons" at a site in Tacoma, so he pulled his pistol and shot several. Then he called our dispatch and they asked "Why do you have a gun, Paul?" because it was an unarmed site. He ended up being fined $1,000 for it by the city, I guess.

Other bits of bad luck included getting into a car accident as he left this site on his first day, getting his hand stuck in the door of a shipping container and then getting drug down the street until a motorist was able to get the driver's attention, and being tipped over in a Honey Bucket. Three times. Paul was a sweet man, who tried very hard to be a team player, but he was very unlucky.

quote:
Alcoholic.

No, I think he's just a dipshit kid who doesn't know what it's like to be hungry yet.

quote:

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
But Rocky had come equipped with a gun
To shoot off the legs of his rival

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Alcoholic.
Getting an early start on it, at age 19? Maybe. Or maybe just plain old immature and irresponsible.

An early start would be 11 or 12. Probably ASG is right and he’s just a dumb kid who hasn’t been beaten down enough by life to appreciate opportunities to work a nice job, but calling in sick all the time is a classic alcoholic thing to do. Hard to work with a crushing hangover and the puke ‘n shits.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Last Friday, I tuned in the Dennis Prager radio show just after the 1:00pm hour start, and he said the most profound thing that I heard in a long time.

WHe said that the reason there is “so much fear” (and by extension, “snowflakery”) in today’s youth is because their parents “coddled” them and never let them experience life through the “school of hard knocks” and grow-up from childhood.

https://www.prageru.com/video/...dnt-coddle-your-kids

I couldn’t agree more, and that explains why they are so screwed-up and can’t cope, so they use any excuse they can think of to deflect their problems.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He sounds like "Earl" from "That 70's Show". Per Red Forman, he's a dumbass.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
After way too many years in retail and restaurant I can tell you this: With some people, it is always something. And you can usually figure out who those people are pretty damn quick after meeting them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had a female cop who knew her sick time better than HR.

Every week it was something, we used to joke in roll call and I actually started a “what excuse will she use next” board.

It was so blatant that even the shitbag-retired on duty guys who would drive around a block so you would get there first (so they wouldn’t get a report either) would ask her when she came back..did your. Goldfish have a migraine.

I feel for ya, but I’d squash him like a bug if it were in my power…the sooner the better-maybe the replacement will have some ethics

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I work with a guy who got hurt again (again, again again) and was out for just shy of a year (the point where they would site job abandonment and fire him). He came back, worked for almost a month, though never a full week. Then claimed to have broken his ankle getting out of bed one day and stayed home for another 3-4 months. (though we think he was probably under house arrest or something and got a Dr. to cover for him. "Ankle? Break it or bracelet? Are you sure what he said on the phone?" Big Grin

He came back to work on thursday, veterans day. Then he took friday off.
Worked monday, took today, Tuesday off. He's got a whole one day in a row streak going.

Unions. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post