SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ridiculous price for synthetic motorcycle oil at North Mississippi Honda Dealership
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridiculous price for synthetic motorcycle oil at North Mississippi Honda Dealership Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
I stopped by my nearest Honda Powersports dealer in North Mississippi to pick up some synthetic 4-Stroke engine oil for my 2021 Africa Twin.
It takes 4.2 quarts for a complete oil change. I decided to get 6 quarts so I would have a little extra on hand. I asked the sales person how much it would be. She said $240.00. WTF??? Mad These people have lost their minds. They were asking over $39.00 per quart. I told them to keep it.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Holy snikees! I think my KTM oil change was about $150 for the oil. Last time.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Almost as bad as $500 for hood struts, that only cost about $20/pair.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/5250088905

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Look on the web for a brand name that meets the specs. I happen to use Mobil 1 4T which is about $12 per qt. I'm sure you can do way better than that dealer's pricing!

My bike has a wet clutch, so I don't go wild by using non-motorcycle oils. Lots of people use all kinds of alternatives (like diesel engine oil) but there are plenty of good fully syn motorcycle oils at sane prices.

Posts: 9721 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Even HD dealers don't charge that much for Synthetic oil LOL

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are plenty of options for a lot less money . No freaking way I would pay that .

Posts: 4236 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just use Amsoil. Whatever weight spec’d to your bike, $11 a quart. And it was the first synthetic, it’s full synth, not some blend, and still the best on the market IMO.

Many use Rotella (read up on friction modifiers, or lack thereof for every oil out there), and that shit can be had for $5 a quart. My bikes call for 10w40, so with Rotella you could buy half 5w40, and half 15w40, mix them evenly, and bam, 10w40. Rotella can be found almost anywhere.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Mobile 1 Racing 4T. Order from Walmart for $10.86 a quart.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d research Rotella T5 or T6, I’ve moved there for my CB-1100.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:

This is what my dad was using when he had his Vulcan S.
It regularly saw 10k RPM Cool
Never had a problem

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the suggestions. I will definitely look into the other suggested brands.

After I left the dealership, I did check the mirror to make sure I didn't have "EASY MONEY" stamped on my forehead. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Scout takes 4 quarts of full synthetic 15w60. A genuine Indian kit containing 4 qts, an oil filter, and 2 washer is $92 + tax. Readily available on-line so if the local dealer gets uppity then my money goes elsewhere.

Amsoil's kit would be $95 + tax for a black oil filter and $107 + tax for a chrome oil filter

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23638 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil in either 5w-40 or 15w-40 meet Honda's JASO MA2 spec. $30 per gallon at most places.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Car, not motorcycle, but my car takes 8.5qts of 5W-50. Napa is the only place in town that carries any brand of that weight that isn't Ford (Napa carries Mobil 1). Ford wants somewhere in the $150-180 range for the Motorcraft stuff, but $250 otd if I want to get them to do it for me (they do offer $40 labor if I bring my materials, though).

Fuck that - $70 in oil/filter and an hour on the ground even with my messed up back/hip/leg is the way to go for me. I mean, if it was something actually good like Redline, Royal Purple, or Motul I might be able to forgive the price difference, but for Motorcraft? Ha, no.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
After I left the dealership, I did check the mirror to make sure I didn't have "EASY MONEY" stamped on my forehead.
And it wasn't "SUCKER", either. Wink

Posts: 9245 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Most fluids can be cross-referenced. None of the manufacturers have a refinery. At the most they can call for certain ‘additives’. At least that’s what they hope will get one thinking about coming back.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Most fluids can be cross-referenced. None of the manufacturers have a refinery. At the most they can call for certain ‘additives’. At least that’s what they hope will get one thinking about coming back.

Yup, they outsource to one of the major oil companies and slap their brand/nameplate on it. It’s easily researchable to figure out who actually manufactures OEM branded oil. It’s 100% just an added revenue stream for the vehicle mfr to scam people with. Not much different than the overpriced service department. It’s never as good as Mobil, Motul, Redline, Amsoil, Rotella, etc, as countless oil tests have been done. But some people swear by it. “I only put Honda oil in my Honda” or Yamaha, or Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Harley, whatever. I have friends that know better that still do it. “I have an extended warranty so I’m using the vehicle branded oil” LOL.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run T6 in my motorcycles and implements and mowers. I have never had any issues with any of them. I still run T4 in my diesels.

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung: I still run T4 in my diesels.

Why? All the benefits that syn oil brings to gas, it also brings to diesels. More so, really, considering how hard diesels, especially modern diesels, are on oil.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:

This is what my dad was using when he had his Vulcan S.
It regularly saw 10k RPM Cool
Never had a problem

Wait, wut? The HP peak for the Vulcan S is at 7500 RPM and the Redline is 9500 RPM...Why the hell would anyone rev that V-Twin to 10K?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9427 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post