SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I missed the days when they made cars with manual hood rod.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I missed the days when they made cars with manual hood rod. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
All you got is hydraulic struts now, which can fail. And do fail. 2012 Camry has the twin hydraulic struts that failed recently. Toyota wants to charge $455 to replace them. Nope, I'll continue using my wooden stick to prop up the hood, thank you.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Try rockauto.com or Amazon for replacements. Fraction of the price if they have them.

Edit: they’re like 12 bucks each on rockauto.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bargain to me vs your broom handle kicking out with you noggin under it! Smile

Posts: 833 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
rockauto it is. Thanks, PowerSurge! Smile

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Doc, I'll be the contrary man.

I replaced the simple metal hood rod support arm with a pair of NRG HD-140 hydraulic arms in July 2008 ($113 shipped). Allows me to open the hood fully vertical for better access to the engine bay on my '03 S2000. They've been rock solid reliable Smile

Not my car but you can see what the factory hood support arm looks like

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
$455 is robbery & insane.
I'd bet both parts are maybe $50.
Heck, bring it by my office & I'll put them on for you Razz

Edit: $8-12 on Rockauto

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my gf's 2003 blazer has the hood rod!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wait till I knock the rod off with my arm
and the hood hits me in the top of my head
and carry on from there.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Edit: $8-12 on Rockauto

Heck, yeah, man! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
hydraulic struts

I bet that'd be a winning name for an exotic dancer....

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
my gf's 2003 blazer has the hood rod!!

So do Wranglers and Gladiators.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
rockauto it is. Thanks, PowerSurge! Smile

Yep. That Scandinavian brand… Lesjofors. Quality stuff. Installed them on my KL Cherokee hood and my MIL’s Outback hatch.

They’ll outlast both vehicles, I’m sure.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Another reason to be known as a "Stealership"........ My piece of 1/4 round moulding cut to size with a small screw head on each end that goes into a factory hole in hood underside as well as a cross bar radiator support that will not allow stick to be accidently knocked out allowing hood to fall on my boney head...................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2076 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can you get a rod off of a 2002 model and adapt it to your ride?

Seems they have similar architecture, but may need simple hood modifications.

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
How ‘bout just a set of hood springs?

Posts: 6344 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any vehicles that come with them standard. I added them to my Tacoma, but I got a decent set from Redline Tuning. They have been 100% for years. I like how I can manipulate the hood with one hand.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Despite the obvious safety issues, in my former work I could not get people to buy these hood struts, and for around $40-70 installed (a lot less than $455); many oil changes are more than that. After uncounted rejections I just gave up. Every mechanic has one or both - sometimes multiple - of these in his tool box.

The end of the screw is brass or bronze and the body of the tool is aluminum (which bends over time) so as not to mar or nick up the piston rod.

They aren't just for failed struts. Even if a hood seems secure, sometimes they can still fall if jostled. If a tool or part is on top of, say, a radiator support while the car is being worked on, at the very least there will be a great deal of inconvenience, at worst damage to something. One YouTuber, a shop owner, actually issues clamps to his techs. I got in the habit of clamping every strut whether they actually needed it or not.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a vehicle with hydraulic struts for the hood. Trunk / rear liftgate, yes (and they have failed), but never hoods.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Explorer has a prop rod, but our Expedition has struts.
My Mercedes had a strut, but it wasn't a hydraulic strut. Just a 2-piece prop rod with 2 detents for opening the hood normally, or vertically.
My 2 older Mercedes had similar, but IIRC they used hood springs at the hinges & had a latch that you could operate to open the hood vertically.
The Midget has a similar prop rod to the Mercedes, open until it latches. Have to lift slightly & unlatch to lower.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had to replace them on my 03 F150, but 20+ years of exposure to use, heat, FL weather, it's not unreasonable that one or the other would fail.

My 86 Corvette had a prop rod of sorts, no ram assistance so lifting the heavy clamshell hood required some effort. Upgraded it to the newer gas assisted rod, made a massive difference in the effort required, and it had a lock out feature so it wouldn't lop your head off if the strut gave out.

Early C4 models had a manual hood support, no assisted lift, so it took effort to lift up the hood, then you locked it in with the manual support.

Later C4's got an assist from a gas rod, but it too had a locking feature, since the hood is quite heavy and they were smart enough to know having a heavy hood cut heads off customers was not good for sales...

Comparison Image: Top is later gas assist strut, bottom manual support.

You can see how large the hood is in this image weight of the fully dressed hood, lights, inner fenders, structure is about 110 lbs..

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post