SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ok I was wrong. I will respond. You got some serious insecurities. Nobody is calling you anything because you work retail. Nobody. I’m calling you out because you want us to believe you magically are watching everybody entering your store and know what they have or haven’t done. That’s idiotic. If you are so damn busy doing everything you say you are how are you tracking the dozens, hell hundreds of customers entering your store? That’s easy you can’t and you aren’t.

Answer one simple question if you can. What exactly does someone who has been unable to find something look like compared to someone who didn’t even try to look? Do they give off certain pheromones? And yes I didn’t even look for basketballs because it was an Academy Sports and they have a guy sitting at a kiosk who greets you as you come in. Novel concept. Customer fucking service.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
You're so hell bent on your crusade against retail workers that you haven't been listening to anything I've said. I don't always know. And every customer gets help - even the stupid ones who you can see from the moment they walk in the door.

But you also don't know anything about my store. You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions and most are wrong, because you've never been in my position.

I mean, you said this:

quote:

Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’m referring specifically to the multiple guys here who work in stores who think asking ANY question to them is beneath their station. That is ludicrous.

and *no-fucking-body* has said answering "any" question is beneath them. Ludicrous indeed.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
While I do know that Costco stores near each other can differentiate their stock so as to not overlap too much, I don't know of a store that has ever done a reset like they do in grocery stores. A reset is where they move entire aisles around based on statistical data conjured up in some mystical Voodoo lounge in the corporate offices. So once you've figure out where stuff is in Costco, it will most likely be in that same spot ten or twenty years later.
^^^^^^^^ I believe another reason that some of these retailers do this rearanging of up to complete isles is to make the customer have to really look for things and while doing so then maybe making some impulse purchases.......... drill sgt.

Yep. The longer they are in the store the more impulse items are purchased.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit going to Home Depot or Lowes unless I have to.
My local Ace hardware is closer to me, I can park 30 feet from
the door and when I walk in there is usually a smiling employee
asking me what I need.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe another reason that some of these retailers do this rearanging of up to complete isles is to make the customer have to really look for things and while doing so then maybe making some impulse purchases.......... drill sgt.

That's exactly what they taught me in Marketing 101 years ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
I believe another reason that some of these retailers do this rearanging of up to complete isles is to make the customer have to really look for things and while doing so then maybe making some impulse purchases.......... drill sgt.

That's exactly what they taught me in Marketing 101 years ago.

Retail does a lot of dumb things because that's what worked many years ago, in the age before computers. A Super Target my ex worked in 20 years ago scheduled staff based on LAST WEEK'S receipts. Yep they used a lagging indicator that didn't take into account changing demand. So a soft week before everyone knew a sale was coming up, resulted in understaffing during the sale week when more people were shopping.

She mentioned this to the store manager and that there were better ops management methods to use and he sarcastically asked her "and where did you go to school?". She answered "Indiana University MBA program". He shut up and said "oh, I thought you were younger". This was after 9/11 and jobs were scarce and we had just moved so she took a job that was available. She might have stayed as a manager after she finished the MBA but getting an opportunity even as a female minority MBA was impossible. They had some "management training program" at a much lesser school that required a nomination from a district manager. And the people coming out of that program weren't that sharp.

Anyway, the constant reconfiguring of the stores because it gets people to buy more might be supported by data. But the thing they are not considering are people like me that simply will avoid stores that do this. Time is money. Make it easy and consistent for me to find what I want or I won't go. Once you have a layout that works and allows people to find what they want, don't change it unless you add new product lines or get rid of product lines. Or if you add a bigger fresh prepared food section or something like that, but minimize the overall tear up. And standardize stores in a region so no matter which one I got to, stuff is in the same place. There are two Kroegers within 2-3 miles of me and they have opposite layouts for no good reason.

Given the rise of Amazon and the massive shift in the industry to online purchases, it is clear that people want it to be easy and quick to find what they want. If retail doesn't wake up they will lose more and more business to Amazon and other online merchants. KMart died, Sears is nearly dead, and many others are on the brink. How much of this does it take for the industry to figure out their methods are not helping them?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

. . . standardize stores in a region so no matter which one I got to, stuff is in the same place. There are two Kroegers within 2-3 miles of me and they have opposite layouts for no good reason.
Publix is the big supermarket chain in the southeast. Headquarters in Lakeland FL, and there are dozens of locations in the Orlando area. I have not found two Publix stores that have similar layouts.

The saving grace is the Publix app. You can specify which store you're in and the product that you're looking for, and the app will tell you which aisle it is allegedly in, and whether the product is in stock.

Sometimes the app lies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hospitals should do this to the folks at large retail outlets. Oncology is now the Hypertension clinic etc. You know the idea get the patient acuqainted with all the medical specialties.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

. . . standardize stores in a region so no matter which one I got to, stuff is in the same place. There are two Kroegers within 2-3 miles of me and they have opposite layouts for no good reason.

Exactly the same thing here. One a quarter mile away, the other about 2 miles away.

Direct opposites.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco rant:
If you would keep the shit in one place for more than an hour,
You wouldn't have to pay your people to fetch it forty times a day.

That " guess where we moved shit "
Game got old on day three
Pretty effen soon I am just going to walk in with a flip book full of pictures and hand
It too the first person I see.

Then sit at the pic nik tables and wait for them to bring it too me.
AGAIN

The suits in the office NOT supporting the workers in the stores.

KILL the suits !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post