SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
It’s kind of unbelievable that you have guys literally saying that asking for help finding a product is “kissing your ass”. Are you guys reading what you write?

Some people are stupid. It’s the original premise. Somehow asking where a product is in a store of 10 fucking thousand products has b3come ass kissing and beneath Bob and his ilk.

That is problematic.
 
Posts: 5135 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How much does it pay to be a professional asshole? Must be a lot, since you’re putting so much effort into it.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 17592 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“ I get people asking me what the price of something is holding the damn tag in their hand with the price printed on it.”

I’ve done this many times, when an item is tagged with a different price than the sign on the rack or shelf (where a dozen more of them are). Other times, the “damn tag” has only the MSRP on it, which is usually considerably different than what the store sells the item for.

Then there are the weekly specials at the Jerkwater grocery store. Where they send out a printed flyer and put signs on the shelves reflecting the sale prices, but “forget” to update the computer so the register scans the sale price.
 
Posts: 26053 | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Then there are the weekly specials at the Jerkwater grocery store. Where they send out a printed flyer and put signs on the shelves reflecting the sale prices, but “forget” to update the computer so the register scans the sale price.
The Publix grocery chain has a policy: if the item scans at the register for more than the shelf tag or more than the advertised price, you get the item free.

Alcohol and tobacco products are excluded from this policy; I don't care, I don't use tobacco (got "clean" in 1984), and on the rare occasions that I buy alcohol there, I'm willing to pay the shelf price.



Any cocktail can be a shrimp cocktail if you put your mind to it, and if you carry lots of loose shrimp in your pocket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 27184 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Bob if you are the boss your store is fucked. I’d give you the free attitude once or twice then I’d say fuck this place. There are other stores. When your ass is working in a windowless warehouse filling boxes instacart style to be delivered to my door, just remember you wanted it that way. Yes, fuck.


Who said you'd ever see the attitude? We only talk about idiot customers when they're not in the store.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It’s kind of unbelievable that you have guys literally saying that asking for help finding a product is “kissing your ass”. Are you guys reading what you write?

Some people are stupid. It’s the original premise. Somehow asking where a product is in a store of 10 fucking thousand products has b3come ass kissing and beneath Bob and his ilk.

That is problematic.


No, I'm saying that putting exactly zero effort in to finding the answer that's already available for you and taking an attitude that relies on this not being an every-5-mintues occurrence - which it is, because customers are generally stupid and incapable of reading - is asking for ass-kissing. Say it takes a total of 30 seconds between you getting my attention, getting your question out, and answering in a way polite enough for someone like you, and getting back to what I'm doing. Now say that happens 20 times an hour, and there's absolutely no delay or follow up extending that time. Now say that 19 of the questions can be answered by poking your head up for less than 30 seconds and looking around instead of wasting 10 minutes of my time out of every hour.

Now do you understand? Because it's clear you've never been on the other side, and that has given *you* the sense of entitlement.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I’ve done this many times, when an item is tagged with a different price than the sign on the rack or shelf (where a dozen more of them are). Other times, the “damn tag” has only the MSRP on it, which is usually considerably different than what the store sells the item for.

Then there are the weekly specials at the Jerkwater grocery store. Where they send out a printed flyer and put signs on the shelves reflecting the sale prices, but “forget” to update the computer so the register scans the sale price.


The lowest price is the one you should pay. No need to ask someone. But when the price on the tag is the only one you're going to see anywhere, you can be pretty sure that that's the one. If it rings up less, good for you. If it rings up more, it becomes the lower price. So either way, no need to ask.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ll never forget the day I was working at a small deli/farmers market in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia circa 1998 or 1999 and this woman walks in, looks at our deli case full of cheeses and asks one of my co-workers: “Do you guys sell cheese?”

Without skipping a beat and with a completely deadpan face and tone, my co-worker responds: “No, no we don’t”

She says “Oh, OK” and walked out

We burst into laughter.


 
Posts: 30251 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You guys are literally defining the very behavior, entitled, lazy, gas, don’t want to do the work, that we decry on this forum on a regular basis and defending it because it’s you guys doing it. That’s called hypocrisy.

Yep, I’m putting in the effort because I’m amazed you guys can’t read what you are writing. Someone asks a question at the store you work in or are even the boss of, and you belittle them and justify it because “I don’t do it to their face”. Oh then it’s perfectly acceptable then.

Maybe I’m reading this all wrong so if I am I will apologize but I don’t think I’m reading it wrong. Basically if a customer can’t find something and they ask you they are expecting you to kiss their ass. Your basic response is they need to look first before asking. Except you don’t have any idea if they have already or not. You already are annoyed they asked. Yet I’m the asshole here?

And yes PASig there are stupid people who can’t get out of a wet paper bag. I’m referring specifically to the multiple guys here who work in stores who think asking ANY question to them is beneath their station. That is ludicrous.
 
Posts: 5135 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. If you are working in a store and a customer needs help you give it. You walk with the customer to where the product is located. Simple customer service. Makes you come back to the store again and shop.
 
Posts: 13130 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I’ve reached the point in a retail setting, that I will get the least competent person available, with poor communication skills, and questionable health and sanitary habits; and that despite a simple direct question I will receive an answer that is incorrect or not pertaining to the subject queried. Thus, I tend to avoid staff be it retail, grocery, or any club store. I’m not disrespectful to those who work there, and give them credit for working when in Massachusetts you can make more money and have better insurance by being unemployed. However I just set and expect the lowest possible standards and expectations and then subtract from that to not be disappointed.
 
Posts: 2280 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I agree. If you are working in a store and a customer needs help you give it. You walk with the customer to where the product is located. Simple customer service. Makes you come back to the store again and shop.

I don't understand why you'd think bobtheelf isn't already doing that. I certainly helped customers if they needed help and did it politely.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 17592 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't understand why you'd think bobtheelf isn't already doing that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My response was not towards him, but an agreement with pedrocopa.
 
Posts: 13130 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys are literally defining the very behavior, entitled, lazy, gas, don’t want to do the work, that we decry on this forum on a regular basis and defending it because it’s you guys doing it. That’s called hypocrisy.



No, we're calling out the customers who are entitled, lazy, don't want to do the work, and would rather make us do double work.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep, I’m putting in the effort because I’m amazed you guys can’t read what you are writing. Someone asks a question at the store you work in or are even the boss of, and you belittle them and justify it because “I don’t do it to their face”. Oh then it’s perfectly acceptable then.



No, not because someone just asks a question.

Because someone asks a question that has already been answered without putting in the barest minimum effort to find out the answer on their own because we've already put in the work to provide it.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Maybe I’m reading this all wrong so if I am I will apologize but I don’t think I’m reading it wrong. Basically if a customer can’t find something and they ask you they are expecting you to kiss their ass.


Maybe you are because I've said the same thing several times and you're still stuck on "oh you just don't want to answer a question".

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Your basic response is they need to look first before asking. Except you don’t have any idea if they have already or not. You already are annoyed they asked. Yet I’m the asshole here?

Yes, because you said:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I literally walked into Academy sports and asked the first employee I saw, “where do you guys have basketballs?” It’s a huge store and it is the smart play.

So yeah, I do have an idea whether you did or not.
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
And yes PASig there are stupid people who can’t get out of a wet paper bag. I’m referring specifically to the multiple guys here who work in stores who think asking ANY question to them is beneath their station. That is ludicrous.


Maybe you should read what *you* wrote.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. If you are working in a store and a customer needs help you give it. You walk with the customer to where the product is located. Simple customer service. Makes you come back to the store again and shop.


Well that kind of blows up the "just takes 30 seconds to answer" thing too, but yeah. That happens. That's why we get annoyed, because now half our time is spent doing things we've already done and shouldn't have to do because people like pedropcola walk in to a store and ask the first person they see instead of putting in any effort look around them.

Sure, they still get help. But it's ludicrous to think that we're not observing customers take two steps in the door and ask a question they can just look up to get the answer to, and get annoyed that we're having to stretch our already thin staff even thinner to help people who won't help themselves.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Another example this morning. Stopped at a convenience store for a biscuit and drink on the way to work. Guy walks up to the heated display where all the biscuits are. Everything is clearly labeled and priced. He walks up to it, looks at the labels (one of which is clearly and neatly marked “bacon egg and cheese”) and asks the girl behind the counter, “Y’all got any bacon, egg and cheese?” Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 13200 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good lord. You are ridiculous. You work retail but apparently think actually working retail is beneath you.

Yea, if someone can’t find something or doesn’t know where it is it is your job. Sorry you think you got a shitty job. You have ZERO idea how much effort someone has put in looking for something when they ask you. Yet your first, the very first, inclination you go to is that they are entitled. What the actual fuck?

I’m an airline pilot by trade. My only job is to fly the plane from point A to point B safely. That’s it. Nothing more. You can actually read my contract it’s pretty clear. Know what I actually do? Answer every question, console scared passengers, put your kid in my seat for a picture, push your granddaddy to the aircraft in his wheelchair, go down and find lost strollers, hold the plane for late families having trouble at security. The list could go on and on. Am I some super guy? Not even fucking close. I’m the guy who realized that those lazy, stupid, entitled, tired, poor eyesight, busy people write my fucking paycheck. What I am is some guy who doesn’t know if these customers are having the worst day of their lives or just being stupid or lazy, so I give them the benefit of the doubt and help them. It’s called customer service. Is there a line I won’t cross delivering that customer service? Yes there is, but it’s nowhere near answering a simple question.

You guys need to reset your gyros ‘cause you’re upside down and pointed at the dirt. Being a bigger dick to customers or less helpful isn’t making anything better. Anywhere.

That’s my last comment on this thread about this. You guys either look in the mirror and see room for improvement or you don’t. I can’t fix anybody but myself.
 
Posts: 5135 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys are literally defining the very behavior, entitled, lazy, gas, don’t want to do the work, that we decry on this forum on a regular basis and defending it because it’s you guys doing it. That’s called hypocrisy.



No, we're calling out the customers who are entitled, lazy, don't want to do the work, and would rather make us do double work.




I understand what you are saying. I think some are not getting it, at all. Part of the lost in translation problem with this is some people see in black and white, and I don’t mean race. This is a grey area.

Entitlement fucktwit walks into store, makes zero attempt to do anything, look for anything. They cannot be bothered to read aisle signs, etc or figure out the store, like say a Costco. If they could be bothered to get off their got damn smartphone and walk around and game the store, then a simple question doesn’t annoy you. This is exactly what I do at say HD, or Costco. I will make an attempt to find what I am looking for before I bother an employee. This happened recently when I was looking for baking soda which I use in my pool to raise alkalinity. They moved the shit at Costco. I looked up and down several aisles and couldn’t find it. I was pissed as I’m not in there to fuck around. I like to get in and out because of the mouf breathers already discussed in this thread. I find an employee and then I watch as she struggles to find it and she knew her shit. She says “I guarantee they moved it”. After not being able to find it herself, she hits a terminal, sees the change, and then we walk together, and locate. It was placed obscure.

Now contrast this to someone who just walks in, full entitlement on display and wants a map or tell me where X is. Like someone walking into my grocery store and asking where is the produce. If I worked there I’d answer but talk shit behind them. Have you never been in a got damn grocery store? You have to actually walk around it if it’s new to you and check the layout. Hand holding should not be required. You have a brain, use it. That damn phone, convenience food, apps, has this population stupid. Somehow a 1950’s, 1960’s, wife running the household knew where every got damn thing was at the grocer, but in 2022, people don’t have a clue? It’s a dumbing down of society and I feel for folks working in retail. People have become so stupid there are no words that I can type to convey. Reminds me of all the idiot customers in the film Clerks. “You mean I have to drink this coffee hot!!!!”. Costco moves shit around here and HD can make shit extremely difficult to find. Even then I find electrical, at least make an attempt first. People and their got damn apps that are designed to kiss their ass and cater to their NPD. They think everything should be like this, no it ain’t.



OK, so we got a trooper pulls someone over, we got a shooting, these folks drive by, there's a high-speed pursuit, ends here and then this execution-type deal.
 
Posts: 11418 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:


Welcome to Costco, I love you.



Smile
_______________________________________



quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’ll never forget the day I was working at a small deli/farmers market in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia circa 1998 or 1999 and this woman walks in, looks at our deli case full of cheeses and asks one of my co-workers: “Do you guys sell cheese?”

Without skipping a beat and with a completely deadpan face and tone, my co-worker responds: “No, no we don’t”

She says “Oh, OK” and walked out

We burst into laughter.




_____________________
 
Posts: 13959 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You have ZERO idea how much effort someone has put in looking for something when they ask you. Yet your first, the very first, inclination you go to is that they are entitled. What the actual fuck?


You literally told me that you put in no effort.

So, yeah.

But anyway, if you think no one is watching when you enter a store or has seen what you have or haven't done, it's because you're utterly clueless and have never been on the other side.

I don't think it's beneath me. You think it's beneath you, because you think retail workers are idiots who don't pay attention and don't care.

The only one who needs to do some soul searching here is you.
 
Posts: 3492 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt

© SIGforum 2022