SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The modern consumer is like a child at an Easter egg hunt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There are some people that are visually impaired. Not blind but poor attention to detail in their environment. Stores like Home Depot or Tractor Supply are a nightmare for them.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Some people wouldn't know stupid if it hit them in the face. Asking where milk is in a Safeway is either extremely stupid or lazy.

I sometimes lose patience with grocery stores that move things regularly in order to force customers to wander, looking for what used to be on aisle 9, in hopes of prompting unplanned purchases.

Now milk might be different, since it is hard or impossible to move the cooler. But they will move the entire cracker section from time to time. I will ask, rather than wander.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Stoopid libraries don't have card catalogs any more. Who knew?

They haven't had card catalogs for at least 20 years. Even in small libraries. Probably more like 25 or 30. For this, the computer is indisputably better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

once you've figure out where stuff is in Costco, it will most likely be in that same spot ten or twenty years later.
Nope. Definitely NOT in the Costco location near my house. Some things have "sticky" locations, but many things do not.

Soft drinks have been in many different locations recently. OTC stuff like vitamins and supplements near the pharmacy moves to different aisles frequently. Coffee is a moving target. Snack stuff like nuts, protein bars, etc., gets shuffled around.

Similar items are not always grouped; we like the three-pound packages of Kirkland thick-sliced bacon. Couldn't find it on a recent visit, finally tracked down a Costco dude to ask whether it had been discontinued. Nope, it had been moved to a cooler on an end cap. Silly me, I was looking for it where all of the other bacon was, at the other end of that aisle of coolers.

The gas pumps do tend to stay in the same place.

Your store is likely the exception.

My local Costcos, there are 5 nearby, pretty much leave stuff in place except in the Seasonal isles (Xmas, Holloween, Summer) that are in the center section. The items that often change are the End Caps, which can change every couple of days depending on what Corp decides to feature (this also will happen in the entry area). Generally everything else stays in place because Assistant Managers are responsible for each area...products in their area have to be placed together

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
As for rude store employees. Fuck them. You work in a fucking grocery store, being annoyed because someone asks where something is in a warehouse sized store is a dick move. If you don’t want to answer those questions get a different job. Maybe you are the problem.

I'd had customers whom I knew from conversation to have lived in the neighborhood their entire lives ask where stuff is. Literally, walk in the door and immediately ask where something is. You're not even ten feet inside the store! You were here yesterday and the day before!

People like this just turn their brains off and expect employees to kiss their asses. Fuck them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, fuck the lazy ass employee. It’s your fucking job. If you wanted to be the boss you picked the wrong career path. I literally walked into Academy sports and asked the first employee I saw, “where do you guys have basketballs?” It’s a huge store and it is the smart play. Employees like you guys would cop an attitude. Say it slowly. It’s your fucking job. Remember the day you got hired? The guy told you to learn where shit was. It really is that simple.

It’s not expecting an ass kissing to ask an employee a question. Fuck, you are the entitled fucking employee who wants a paycheck and sucks at everything customer service related. I hope you aren’t the boss because there’s a huge difference between asking where the pickles are and wanting someone to kiss your ass. Do you even read what you are typing?

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
reset like they do in grocery stores. A reset is where they move entire aisles around based on statistical data conjured up in some mystical Voodoo lounge in the corporate offices.

Our local Safeway does that about every 18 months. It takes them a long time, during which products are moved to temporary locations, sometimes several times. During that month, it is literally like an Easter egg hunt to find what you need. Sometimes even asking a staff member where an item is does not work, because they're not the ones doing the rearranging.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
They apply the same unfortunate tactic to the rest of their lives too.

For example, try meeting them at a restaurant. No matter the size of the restaurant they call as soon as they walk in the door without even bothering to spend a second looking. Even at a restaurant with 12 tables, zero visual obstructions, and acknowledged your text that you're already seated. Roll Eyes

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Costco mantra for the last 20 months at the register:
"If you find this __________ for me I will buy one."

And 75% of the time they will run out and retrieve it for me.
If I wanted exercise I'd join a gym.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I do know that Costco stores near each other can differentiate their stock so as to not overlap too much, I don't know of a store that has ever done a reset like they do in grocery stores. A reset is where they move entire aisles around based on statistical data conjured up in some mystical Voodoo lounge in the corporate offices. So once you've figure out where stuff is in Costco, it will most likely be in that same spot ten or twenty years later.

I was pretty much forced to take a Marketing class in my Freshman year in college...needed the credit hours for my GI Bill.

Anyway, the whole thing about resets is explained in the class, it's all a marketing ploy and history says it works, so they all continue doing it.

There's a similar thing in manufacturing where workbenches are rotated and different music is piped over the sound system.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The intent is to make you hunt through the store to find stuff. It would be easy to make stores more user friendly. They do it this way on purpose. Same reason they put candy bars near the register. It’s all designed to make you pass stuff you don’t need but buy anyway. Any store employee who then puts that purpose driven agenda on the customer is an asshat.

This is like that thread where the gun store employee was all pissed that customers asked for ammo prices which he couldn’t be bothered with because the price was changing so rapidly.

Yes there are stupid customers. Assuming someone is stupid because they have lived in this town all their lives and don’t know where the mustard is well, stupid as well.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, fuck the lazy ass employee. It’s your fucking job. If you wanted to be the boss you picked the wrong career path. I literally walked into Academy sports and asked the first employee I saw, “where do you guys have basketballs?” It’s a huge store and it is the smart play. Employees like you guys would cop an attitude. Say it slowly. It’s your fucking job. Remember the day you got hired? The guy told you to learn where shit was. It really is that simple.

It’s not expecting an ass kissing to ask an employee a question. Fuck, you are the entitled fucking employee who wants a paycheck and sucks at everything customer service related. I hope you aren’t the boss because there’s a huge difference between asking where the pickles are and wanting someone to kiss your ass. Do you even read what you are typing?

Employees have limited time and energy and a lot of other aspects of their job to do. A lot of stores are massively understaffed with employees who are over worked. So when there's a massive sign hanging that the employees spent time and energy putting up that says "BASEBALL GEAR" that you can see from everywhere in the store, they've already done their job helping every single customer in the store know where the baseballs are.

Does this hold true for every store everywhere? No. But if you're not willing to raise your eyes a few inches and scan around for a few seconds before asking, then yes, you're expecting an ass kissing.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are in the wrong line of work. Cherry picking a guy standing front of the milk and asking where is the milk is disingenuous. The stores purposely make finding things challenging. This is business 101. You are fucking lying if you deny stores don’t do this. There is a purposeful intention to design the store so you pass more content than is necessary to find a product. You dumb ass employees who literally act like a 5 second conversation is somehow fucking ruining your day are pathetic.

“Hello, where can I find the pickles?” You then answer and carry on with your day. I’m sure you will somehow manage to get right back into restocking, or moving shit, or generally pretending to be busy after that exhausting exchange.

People asking where stuff in a store is from an employee and the ENTITLED LAZY ASS employee construing that as kissing the customers ass is laughable.

You guys really need to reassess. Change your location or change your attitude if your job wears on you that much.

You are right about limited energy. You don’t have any. It took more effort to type this than to tell somebody where hot dog buns are located.

Fuck.

posted Hide Post
Lol. And another thing. These stores are the size of small warehouses. The signs are printed in small font. When I had eagle eyes I couldn’t read them all until I got closer. Now I have to be standing pretty doggone close to read them. This is by design.

You want customers to stop asking where stuff is? Make the signs bigger, add a few touch screens in the store where you can look up product locations, don’t move stuff, until you guys unfuck your side of the equation it’s kind of ridiculous to complain about people asking you a simple question. and yes, it is a simple question and part of your job. Go ask your boss, he will confirm that.

You know part of why people will pay extra for Trader Joe’s and Wegmans and organic expensive places? Because their employees don’t pitch a fit when you ask where organic free range almond butter is. Or think it’s beneath them ffs.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do most of our grocery shopping at either Publix or the Walmart Neighborhood Store.

There are apps for both of these stores on my phone, that allow the user to specify which store s/he is in and search for a product, and the app will show what aisle the product is on. Walmart is close to 100% accuracy on this, Publix maybe 90% to 95%.

My problem is, once in a while I can go up and down the aisle three or four times and not find the product, so I still need to ask for help.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are in the wrong line of work. Cherry picking a guy standing front of the milk and asking where is the milk is disingenuous. The stores purposely make finding things challenging. This is business 101. You are fucking lying if you deny stores don’t do this. There is a purposeful intention to design the store so you pass more content than is necessary to find a product. You dumb ass employees who literally act like a 5 second conversation is somehow fucking ruining your day are pathetic.

“Hello, where can I find the pickles?” You then answer and carry on with your day. I’m sure you will somehow manage to get right back into restocking, or moving shit, or generally pretending to be busy after that exhausting exchange.

People asking where stuff in a store is from an employee and the ENTITLED LAZY ASS employee construing that as kissing the customers ass is laughable.

You guys really need to reassess. Change your location or change your attitude if your job wears on you that much.

You are right about limited energy. You don’t have any. It took more effort to type this than to tell somebody where hot dog buns are located.

Fuck.

Because of course we only run in to one person like you a day, right? I get people asking me what the price of something is holding the damn tag in their hand with the price printed on it.

You want to talk entitled? Think for a moment how your point is dependent on you being the only customer, not understanding that there's not one of you, there's hundreds a day taking up time asking questions that are already answered.

If you don't expend the most minute amount of energy to find the answer for yourself that the staff has already spent energy providing for you, don't expect us to cheer when you ask us to spend more time and energy on your lazy ass providing the answer for a second time.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lol. And another thing. These stores are the size of small warehouses. The signs are printed in small font. When I had eagle eyes I couldn’t read them all until I got closer. Now I have to be standing pretty doggone close to read them. This is by design.

You want customers to stop asking where stuff is? Make the signs bigger, add a few touch screens in the store where you can look up product locations, don’t move stuff, until you guys unfuck your side of the equation it’s kind of ridiculous to complain about people asking you a simple question. and yes, it is a simple question and part of your job. Go ask your boss, he will confirm that.

You know part of why people will pay extra for Trader Joe’s and Wegmans and organic expensive places? Because their employees don’t pitch a fit when you ask where organic free range almond butter is. Or think it’s beneath them ffs.

I am the boss and you're generalizing a shitload of stores as if they were all the same. Again, some stores do this and some stores put up giant signs answering your question, but some customers won't expend even the slightest amount of energy to read. I've had people asking "what is on sale?" next to a sign that said "ALL SHELVING 25% OFF". I've had customers ask "is this on sale?" with a giant sign on it saying "SALE". I had a customer call asking which side of a hallway my store was on. Turn your head 10 degrees to each side and you'll see it in big bold letters. I get half a dozen customers every day come in holding a coupon asking multiple questions about the coupon that are answered if they would just read the text printed on the coupon.

Walk a couple miles in someone else's shoes and you might understand the irritation when someone spends a couple hours putting signage up all over a store only for a lazy customer to walk in and ask multiple questions that are answered by the signs we already spent hours putting up all over the place.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
pedropcola is spot on. If I walk into a store and ask where I might find something it’s because my eyes and memory aren’t what they used to be and I’m to old for Easter egg hunts. It’s also because I believe that, as the guy with the money in my pockets, I’m the boss. Asking where something is is not asking for an ass kissing, I just want to buy your stuff and get out, so take a moment, point me in the right direction, I’ll be on my merry way, and you won’t have deal with my until I show up to buy something the next time.

Being asked for help should be taken as a compliment. The person asking believes you to have valuable information, knowledge, skills, or opinions that can help them with whatever task they are trying to complete.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There's another problem that nobody has mentioned yet -- similar items are not grouped in the same location.

Examples:

Publix. There are at least three different locations, spread around in the store, to look for cheese. Things like syrup for ice cream, two separate locations, nowhere near each other.

Winn-Dixie (a store that I try to avoid). Last time I was looking for oranges, they were in 5, yes five different locations, making it really inconvenient to compare types of oranges (navel, tangelo, valencia, etc.) and prices. Even a single type, navel, was at two different locations with two different prices.

Packaged nuts? At least two separate locations in Publix.

There is no excuse for that sort of nonsense, no reason at all.

Prices? They need to be marked. No excuse for making the shopper play a guessing game. More than once I have asked a section manager, "If there's no price on the item, and there's no shelf tag with a price, does that mean it's free?" That actually worked for me, once. The section manager apologized for un-priced orange juice and comped me a container.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob if you are the boss your store is fucked. I’d give you the free attitude once or twice then I’d say fuck this place. There are other stores. When your ass is working in a windowless warehouse filling boxes instacart style to be delivered to my door, just remember you wanted it that way. Yes, fuck.