SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    It's not just Turkeys that are scarce this season...hams too. :(
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not just Turkeys that are scarce this season...hams too. :( Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
My son went to pick up a couple Hormel Cure 81 spiral sliced hams for Thanksgiving at Safeway today. Nope. Nada. Coolers bare.

He was told each of our local stores got a whopping 25 hams each and they have no idea if they'll get any more. And FWIW their store brand and lesser quality stuff was also gone. Apparently this is also the situation with other local stores as well.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It's all crazy out there. You should try to find a turkey that's under 15 lbs. There will be only 5 of us so one bigger isn't needed. We had to go to 4 or 5 grocery stores before we could find one.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The local Lidl's had lots of 13-14 pounders for $0.49/lb.today.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the same for turkey breast around here…I even went to Walmart looking for one (and I would almost prefer a beating with a shity bus station restroom mop than to enter a Walmart)…no joy…Maybe the future will not be so bleak searching for a turkey beak (not holding my breath)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Improvise, adapt and overcome!

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They told us to eat cans of Chef Boy R Dee.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister and I went in Walmart last Saturday morning early. They had Butterball turkeys marked 98 cents a pound, but the tag looked wrong. We picked up a sixteen pound turkey and it rang up for a total price of 98 cents. The kid at self-checkout assist said it had happened several times already that morning. We might have told several folks to hurry and go get themselves a 98 cent turkey based on just the usual headache we normally suffer at Walmart. If we had had room in the freezer I would have gone and gotten another (bigger) one.

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We said screw it (no ham or turkey) and went after some good assortment of artisan salami, cheese, and bread for CHARCUTERIE instead!

In addition to hard salami and capocollo we got
--Gentile Giant Wild Boar & Brandy Salame
--Stagberry (Elk - Pork - Blueberry) Salame
--Gin & Juice (Lamb - Pork - juniper berries and orange peel) Salame
--South Cider (Goose - Pork - persimmons and hard cider) Salame

We'll have fresh baked French baguettes and are still selecting cheeses.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At our local supermarket (HyVee) you get a free turkey if you buy a ham! Mrs. Sigmund will check out the deal next week.

Get a FREE turkey from Hy-Vee with the purchase of a Hormel Cure 81 ham. This year at Hy-Vee, you can get a free Honeysuckle White Frozen Turkey (10-14 lbs) (make sure to log in or select your Hy-Vee store to view the offer) with the purchase of a Hormel Cure 81 whole boneless ham.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Local "Rouses" supermarket had a flier come in the mail on wensday for sale starting thursday (9th) for a free frozen Butterball turkey (up to 16lb) with the purchase of a Smithfield spiral cut ham half for $2.99lb ... So yesterday afternoon the freezer box was full of turkeys and plenty of hams.. brought one of each home and placed in the freezer and fridge. ... Last year same offer and all were happy....... Personally I prefer the ham.. best part of the turkey is taking the carcus and any leftover meat into a pot and after boiling it down to use the stock juice and cooked down meat to make homemade turkey soup... ................................ drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Safeway, among others, had a spend $xxx and get a free turkey. But again turkeys were unavailable.

As said in my opening post though, we were interested in HAM and not turkey.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Honestly have not checked out the ham/Turkey situation locally. I don't particularly care for either and I'm single and in no danger of hosting a holiday meal.

I'd as soon have a good pizza anyway.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Picked up a 24lb turkey today 0.42/lb IIRC, lots available & hams too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The wife went to the grocery and bought 2 turkeys this afternoon. But she's giving them away to poor people. At the "Free Store"...

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Plenty of birds and hams here

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No turkey shortage here. On their morning stroll out back...No pigs though

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty Birds!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a couple of frozen 15 pounders, $.49 a pound at Publix...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Finally! Scored a pair of ~12 lb Hormel Cure 81 spiral cut bone in half hams.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/co...on/best-holiday-ham/

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Just picked up a couple of frozen 15 pounders, $.49 a pound at Publix...

Nice! I've been holding out for something like that, but the Publix by me was at $2.29 when I checked today.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post