SIGforum
It's not just Turkeys that are scarce this season...hams too. :(

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7310091694

November 11, 2022, 02:49 PM
bald1
It's not just Turkeys that are scarce this season...hams too. :(
My son went to pick up a couple Hormel Cure 81 spiral sliced hams for Thanksgiving at Safeway today. Nope. Nada. Coolers bare.

He was told each of our local stores got a whopping 25 hams each and they have no idea if they'll get any more. And FWIW their store brand and lesser quality stuff was also gone. Apparently this is also the situation with other local stores as well.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 11, 2022, 03:22 PM
fiasconva
It's all crazy out there. You should try to find a turkey that's under 15 lbs. There will be only 5 of us so one bigger isn't needed. We had to go to 4 or 5 grocery stores before we could find one.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
November 11, 2022, 04:44 PM
MRMATT
The local Lidl's had lots of 13-14 pounders for $0.49/lb.today.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
November 11, 2022, 04:53 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
Pretty much the same for turkey breast around here…I even went to Walmart looking for one (and I would almost prefer a beating with a shity bus station restroom mop than to enter a Walmart)…no joy…Maybe the future will not be so bleak searching for a turkey beak (not holding my breath)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
November 11, 2022, 05:15 PM
RichardC

Improvise, adapt and overcome!

November 11, 2022, 05:57 PM
Mars_Attacks
They told us to eat cans of Chef Boy R Dee.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
November 11, 2022, 06:17 PM
MelissaDallas
My sister and I went in Walmart last Saturday morning early. They had Butterball turkeys marked 98 cents a pound, but the tag looked wrong. We picked up a sixteen pound turkey and it rang up for a total price of 98 cents. The kid at self-checkout assist said it had happened several times already that morning. We might have told several folks to hurry and go get themselves a 98 cent turkey based on just the usual headache we normally suffer at Walmart. If we had had room in the freezer I would have gone and gotten another (bigger) one.
November 11, 2022, 06:34 PM
bald1
We said screw it (no ham or turkey) and went after some good assortment of artisan salami, cheese, and bread for CHARCUTERIE instead!

In addition to hard salami and capocollo we got
--Gentile Giant Wild Boar & Brandy Salame
--Stagberry (Elk - Pork - Blueberry) Salame
--Gin & Juice (Lamb - Pork - juniper berries and orange peel) Salame
--South Cider (Goose - Pork - persimmons and hard cider) Salame

We'll have fresh baked French baguettes and are still selecting cheeses.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 11, 2022, 07:22 PM
Sigmund
At our local supermarket (HyVee) you get a free turkey if you buy a ham! Mrs. Sigmund will check out the deal next week.

Get a FREE turkey from Hy-Vee with the purchase of a Hormel Cure 81 ham. This year at Hy-Vee, you can get a free Honeysuckle White Frozen Turkey (10-14 lbs) (make sure to log in or select your Hy-Vee store to view the offer) with the purchase of a Hormel Cure 81 whole boneless ham.
November 11, 2022, 08:05 PM
drill sgt
Local "Rouses" supermarket had a flier come in the mail on wensday for sale starting thursday (9th) for a free frozen Butterball turkey (up to 16lb) with the purchase of a Smithfield spiral cut ham half for $2.99lb ... So yesterday afternoon the freezer box was full of turkeys and plenty of hams.. brought one of each home and placed in the freezer and fridge. ... Last year same offer and all were happy....... Personally I prefer the ham.. best part of the turkey is taking the carcus and any leftover meat into a pot and after boiling it down to use the stock juice and cooked down meat to make homemade turkey soup... ................................ drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,
November 12, 2022, 04:00 PM
bald1
Safeway, among others, had a spend $xxx and get a free turkey. But again turkeys were unavailable.

As said in my opening post though, we were interested in HAM and not turkey.

USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 13, 2022, 09:03 PM
wolfe 21
Honestly have not checked out the ham/Turkey situation locally. I don't particularly care for either and I'm single and in no danger of hosting a holiday meal.

I'd as soon have a good pizza anyway.

A Perpetual Disappointment...
November 13, 2022, 09:42 PM
P250UA5
Picked up a 24lb turkey today 0.42/lb IIRC, lots available & hams too.

The Enemy's gate is down.
November 13, 2022, 10:02 PM
rburg
The wife went to the grocery and bought 2 turkeys this afternoon. But she's giving them away to poor people. At the "Free Store"...

Unhappy ammo seeker
November 14, 2022, 09:14 AM
HRK
Plenty of birds and hams here

November 16, 2022, 07:20 AM
pace40
No turkey shortage here. On their morning stroll out back...No pigs though

November 16, 2022, 08:12 AM
phil in indy
Pretty Birds!
November 16, 2022, 02:31 PM
HRK
Just picked up a couple of frozen 15 pounders, $.49 a pound at Publix...

November 16, 2022, 03:14 PM
bald1
Finally! Scored a pair of ~12 lb Hormel Cure 81 spiral cut bone in half hams.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/co...on/best-holiday-ham/

USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 16, 2022, 03:24 PM
Perception
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Just picked up a couple of frozen 15 pounders, $.49 a pound at Publix...

Nice! I've been holding out for something like that, but the Publix by me was at $2.29 when I checked today.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."