SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Had one of the door to door meat salesmen, the ones with a home freezer in the back of a beat to shit Ford Ranger pickup.

Despite a “No Soliciting” sign he knocks. “Hi, I’ve got a good deal on meat” I politely say “I’m not interested”. Well he starts arguing and it finally gravitates to him telling me that “You’re going to listen to me!”

I told him “Get off my porch” and he starts swearing at me. At this point my wife comes up behind me asking what the hell is going on. He then again says “You’re going to listen to me” to which I replied “Hold on” as I called 911 while he’s yelling at me.

He then left but before he got away I got the name and phone number from the magnetic sign o his door and gave it to the police. Never heard anything more from them or that so called meat dealer.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8410 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of their tactics I've seen lately is they are too lazy to walk door to door, they cruise the neighborhood in their car and when they see someone washing their car or gardening they pounce on you.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
One of their tactics I've seen lately is they are too lazy to walk door to door, they cruise the neighborhood in their car and when they see someone washing their car or gardening they pounce on you.

Was in the garage painting a dresser, had a couple LDS ladies sneak up on me. They were very polite & even offered to help paint. I declined & they were on their way. Pretty sure one of out former LDS neighbors sent them our way.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Had one of the door to door meat salesmen, the ones with a home freezer in the back of a beat to shit Ford Ranger pickup.

Despite a “No Soliciting” sign he knocks. “Hi, I’ve got a good deal on meat” I politely say “I’m not interested”. Well he starts arguing and it finally gravitates to him telling me that “You’re going to listen to me!”

I told him “Get off my porch” and he starts swearing at me. At this point my wife comes up behind me asking what the hell is going on. He then again says “You’re going to listen to me” to which I replied “Hold on” as I called 911 while he’s yelling at me.

He then left but before he got away I got the name and phone number from the magnetic sign o his door and gave it to the police. Never heard anything more from them or that so called meat dealer.

It has been a while since I have seen those guys, but exact same thing here. A freezer strapped in the back of a crappy truck bed. Yeah, oh hell no, I am not buying unknown meat from you!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8767 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Was in the garage painting a dresser, had a couple LDS ladies sneak up on me. They were very polite & even offered to help paint. I declined & they were on their way. Pretty sure one of out former LDS neighbors sent them our way.

LDS are one of the few I have seen on my camera walk away without knocking when they see my sign. They respect it. I don’t even mind if a solicitor just leaves a card without knocking despite the sign. It is when they knock on the door and ring the doorbell causing me to think it is a neighbor that pisses me off. Plus I love the LDS have a food preparedness store very close to me! Big Grin

Posts: 8767 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In my town, there is one vocation that ignores that sign every time. Those selling solar panels.

Posts: 7659 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Answer the door naked. A coworker friend of mine had an acquaintance who kept getting pestered by Jehovah’s Witnesses and he got fed up and answered the door in the buff and never got another visit from them for some reason.
JWs keep very detailed records of their home visits, and you can use this to your advantage.

In my first stint living in Houston, I was watching football on a Saturday afternoon. During a commercial, I looked out the front window where I spotted two female JWs going door to door, and I knew that I had to put an end that nonsense that day or they'd hound me the rest of my days. I remembered that I was wearing paisley colored boxers and at first glance I look naked in them. So I stripped off my t-shirt, shorts, and socks and opened the door just as they were reaching for the doorbell. My front door was up a flight of stairs, and by my internal clock they set the house record on descending that flight of stairs. I lived there 4 more years and never had another JW visit.

I can't remember who recommended it (sounds like a Sigforumite), but they suggested in the future that I add the following sentence to my near naked JW door greeting, [lick lips]"Are you from the agency?[/lick lips]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One day a very attractive young lady knocked on the door . She was with a pest control company who's name I recognized . She started giving me the spiel about how they were treating my neighbor's home and would I be interested in a pest control package ? I asked her about treating for fire ants but she said they preferred to do complete packages , blah , blah . All or nothing basically . Sorry sweetie , we have nothing more to talk about . I can see why they used her for door to door sales though . Damn she was a cutie .

Posts: 4294 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
One day a very attractive young lady knocked on the door . She was with a pest control company who's name I recognized . She started giving me the spiel about how they were treating my neighbor's home and would I be interested in a pest control package ? I asked her about treating for fire ants but she said they preferred to do complete packages , blah , blah . All or nothing basically . Sorry sweetie , we have nothing more to talk about . I can see why they used her for door to door sales though . Damn she was a cutie .

I think she may have stopped by our house about 2 weeks ago. Exact same thing. It was fine talking with her for the first couple of hours but then I had other things that I needed to do.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
JWs keep very detailed records of their home visits, and you can use this to your advantage.

In our prior house, they used to come by a couple of times a year and the wife would always tell them "not interested".

One day, I answered the door and a couple of young ladies asked if they could share the good news with me. I said "That sounds great. Let me get my Bible."

I don't know why, but that was the wrong answer. They suddenly realized they had a pressing appointment elsewhere and hastily departed. They must have put us on their "avoid" list after that, because they never came again.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

In the small town I grew up in [about 6k people] there was a well known JW that went everywhere on foot.
He'd come down our dirt road & chat with my grandfather, who very clearly let him know he was always welcome to sit on the porch with him & chat, but that he wasn't interested in talking religion.
He'd give the guy some water & they'd sit & chat for a while, then he'd walk off on his way.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a young Jehovah Witness man on a team in north Miami. Very earnest and extremely well read Bible-wise.

Talked with him a lot about his outlook on religion vs. my own. At least in his congregation / district if someone they visited showed up at the door nude or just a bathrobe that fell open 'accidentally' - they'd continue to visit but the team would be made up of only males. (He said it wasn't uncommon and was only ever men who did it).

No doubt JW home visit strategy varies from place to place.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1991 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:

I've worked for a JW family for the better part of 40 years. They don't go door to door here anymore. When they did I knew most of them. Now they mail out handwritten letters.

Posts: 7659 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hell, got a better one than that. Parked the motorcycle in the garage. Got off and turned around to a guy standing in my garage, door and window salesman.

Wife told him we weren’t interested, he went next door. When he saw me pull up he figured it was another opportunity to try again.

It was a very one sided conversation. He didn’t get much chance for a sales pitch.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8410 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Haha…love it!

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This one has been ignored twice. Grrr!

Posts: 3829 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to put a sign on my door. I've been holding off since I'll be more pissed off if they ignore the sign, but we'll see what happens. For the last two months, our neighborhood has had several security company salesmen (or fake salesmen) come through and be pretty obnoxious. Luckily, the visits to our house were during normal hours, but some of the neighbors have had them knocking well after dark. I'm pretty sure two of the ones who stopped by our place were scammers. One of them was probably legit. We've lived here over 10 years, and this is a recent thing. In the past, we'd get a couple of church folks a year, but they were always very polite. These guys really couldn't figure out they needed to leave without me losing my temper.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
We had a young Jehovah Witness man on a team in north Miami. Very earnest and extremely well read Bible-wise.

Talked with him a lot about his outlook on religion vs. my own. At least in his congregation / district if someone they visited showed up at the door nude or just a bathrobe that fell open 'accidentally' - they'd continue to visit but the team would be made up of only males. (He said it wasn't uncommon and was only ever men who did it).

They are something else. For years (before my NS sign) they’d come the few times a year. I’d answer the door and respectfully tell them, I’m Catholic and attend mass regularly. That wouldn’t stop them and they’d try to salesman me why I should switch. I haven’t had one ring the bell in years (because of the sign I think) but the last few times I’d answer and say “respectfully, I’m Catholic, attend mass every week, and Holy days of obligation, and nobody is changing me or converting me to anything else. Thanks” and I’d just close the door.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12994 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Parked the motorcycle in the garage. Got off and turned around to a guy standing in my garage, door and window salesman.

I was a teenager when my grandfather died. About a week or so later, a couple of fellas from one of the funeral homes were doing the door-to-door bit, came up the driveway, and walked up on Mom. Talk about poor timing! As I recall, she started to come apart, having just lost her father; Dad stepped in and in just a moment those fellas headed out of there in a big, fat hurry. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post