SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have been on the phone with Prefontaine when he gets a visitor.

I haven't laughed that hard in some time.....

Posts: 5041 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I have been on the phone with Prefontaine when he gets a visitor.

I haven't laughed that hard in some time.....

It’s better when I’m not at home and I’m on the app with the mic. I’ve read off license plates back to them through the ring app because I’m simultaneously zooming in on their car/plate. The look on the face is priceless.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12794 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Answer the door naked. A coworker friend of mine had an acquaintance who kept getting pestered by Jehovah’s Witnesses and he got fed up and answered the door in the buff and never got another visit from them for some reason.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Man, Texas isn’t Texas anymore at least in liberal Travis County. I have had the same solicitor come every week for the last 5 weeks and I just ignore him. Last night I decided to open the door to find out what company he was with.

I asked for a card and he said he only has electronic cards that I can get if I sign up for a quote. They are a solar company selling solar panels.

I asked if he saw and why he disregarded my “No Soliciting” sign. He said he saw it, but he isn’t selling anything. He is offering a way for me to save money. Roll Eyes

I told him to pound sand and never come back. I posted on NextDoor only saying how this guy/company keeps coming each week and I would not do business with this company as they have no respect for property owner’s desires not to accept unwarranted solicitations.

Holy crap, I got lit up by people all defending the guy. People said he is only doing his job, I am targeting him because he is in sales, sales people have to be pushy, I was mean and disrespectful, I should have offered him water, it is MY responsibility to let a company know I don’t want a solicitor and not via a sign on my door, this young man is doing no harm by continuing to come to my home in fact he is being a good employee, etc.

One moron even posted that he is an Amazon delivery driver and thinks the “No Soliciting” signs are rude and why order a product if you don’t want someone to knock on your door. And also that means I would refuse to help a person in distress. WHAT????? Without calling him a complete idiot, I had to explain the sign doesn’t mean no one can knock on the door and has nothing to do with someone coming to deliver a package I ordered or even a sales person coming to give a quote for a company I asked to come out. Roll Eyes

Wow, just wow. I live in an area full of snowflakes that grew up getting participation trophies.

Stop at a stop light and you get asked for money, go into a grocery store and people out front try to sell you things, have a phone and you get calls all day trying to sell you something, get emails all day trying to sell you things, finally at home you have solicitors ignore your polite signs asking to respect not to be solicited. I would like to start calling the local PD to come issue a criminal trespass warning to them so they can be arrested/ticketed if they come again, but I don’t want to waste their time.

Someone also posted saying I have no compassion. No, the solicitor has NO RESPECT.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What happened to the "customer is always right" - if the customer wants the sales guy to fuck off, then they should, right? Anyway, we know we can't rationalize w/ leftist idiots - they aren't capable of rational thought. Just emotions.

Man, would love to be there if sales guy only doing his job went to these leftist houses and tried to make them aware of gun sales at the local gun store - just trying to save them money. Smile

Anyway - I HATE door to door. We have people here that ring the doorbell. Wait. Ring it again. Then try knocking very hard. Take a hint - after the first ring, if nobody answers, either they don't want to talk to you or nobody is home. Either way, get off my lawn.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12971 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
3x5 card by the door bell. Large BOLD letters: SHIFT WORKER SLEEPING DO NOT DISTURB

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7196 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to learn how to set up sprinklers on motion detectors. I never use the front door anyway. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12971 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I posted on NextDoor only saying how this guy/company keeps coming each week and I would not do business with this company as they have no respect for property owner’s desires not to accept unwarranted solicitations.

Holy crap, I got lit up by people all defending the guy.

Not to derail this thread, but NextDoor has to be seen to be believed. It’s like FaceBook for hysterical Karens.

A couple of years ago, a friend was lobbying against yet another bond issue for our already over-bloated school district on NextDoor and asked me to chime in. I created an account and my first post said I didn’t understand the need to build a new school when, per the district’s own numbers, enrollments had declined in each of the past three years.

You would have thought I was promoting child sacrifice. I got flamed nonstop. I tried to respond rationally to some of the comments, but it was a waste of time. I deleted my account and never looked at the site again.

Posts: 6521 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Anyway - I HATE door to door. We have people here that ring the doorbell. Wait. Ring it again. Then try knocking very hard. Take a hint - after the first ring, if nobody answers, either they don't want to talk to you or nobody is home. Either way, get off my lawn.

THAT is the part that really makes me mad. It is usually at dinner when I am cooking and I will ignore a single knock or ring, but when they do it multiple times I think it is a neighbor who needs something. I don’t have time to try to log into my camera system and then I am also leaving the stove unattended with my birds out and they could sever injure themselves if they try to get into a hot pan. I am not explaining all that stuff to these morons on Nextdoor as it will do no good.

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
I posted on NextDoor only saying how this guy/company keeps coming each week and I would not do business with this company as they have no respect for property owner’s desires not to accept unwarranted solicitations.

Holy crap, I got lit up by people all defending the guy.

Not to derail this thread, but NextDoor has to be seen to be believed. It’s like FaceBook for hysterical Karens.

A couple of years ago, a friend was lobbying against yet another bond issue for our already over-bloated school district on NextDoor and asked me to chime in. I created an account and my first post said I didn’t understand the need to build a new school when, per the district’s own numbers, enrollments had declined in each of the past three years.

You would have thought I was promoting child sacrifice. I got flamed nonstop. I tried to respond rationally to some of the comments, but it was a waste of time. I deleted my account and never looked at the site again.

Exactly. I am really only on Nextdoor to be informed of anything significant/important which seems to be never. All the posts are about a car that cut them off 30 miles away or they heard a 9mm shot out of a Glock at full auto. Those posts get TONS of positive and supportive responses. Post something about an actual neighborhood question and it is crickets or you get crapped on by people. I normally don’t post to anything and I think most other rational people do the same. I was just fed up last night and posted, which I won’t do again. Sad as it further leaves the site to all the bottom dwellers to post and agree with each other.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, Texas isn’t Texas anymore at least in liberal Travis County. I have had the same solicitor come every week for the last 5 weeks and I just ignore him. Last night I decided to open the door to find out what company he was with.

I asked for a card and he said he only has electronic cards that I can get if I sign up for a quote. They are a solar company selling solar panels.

I asked if he saw and why he disregarded my “No Soliciting” sign. He said he saw it, but he isn’t selling anything. He is offering a way for me to save money. Roll Eyes

I told him to pound sand and never come back. I posted on NextDoor only saying how this guy/company keeps coming each week and I would not do business with this company as they have no respect for property owner’s desires not to accept unwarranted solicitations.

Someone also posted saying I have no compassion. No, the solicitor has NO RESPECT.

IIRC you are in LE. Here is what I did:

On the first page of this thread I mentioned Mr. Scam Artist. Professional “Solar Panel Cleaning” business. Fuckhead has a professional door card made complete with a pic of him, his wife, and baby. Yeah like I’m buying that bs. Roll Eyes Probably some stock photo he got off the internet. On the door card it says something like $750, then it has a strike through it. Then $600, $500, with strikes through it, and today only, the low low price is like $350. He ignored the no soliciting sign and it’s a big professional one. He would also park his truck in front of my house every time he did this. He did this 7 times. I mean if someone is canvassing the neighborhood, the entire street, and they leave a card I just throw it away. Whatever it is, I don’t even read it, or look at it. It goes in the bin immediately.

I’ve had 35 panels on the roof since 2014. Here is how hard it is to clean solar panels:
Step 1: Unspool garden hose.
Step 2: Affix nozzle sprayer.
Step 3: Turn water on at the spigot.
Step 4: Stand at ground level on my back deck, and hose them all down.

Takes about 5 minutes, maybe 7, if they are especially dirty. I only have to do this if it hasn’t rained in say, 60 days. On that same door card he has listed “Reverse Osmosis” water. Roll Eyes

So on his visit #7, I made sure to get video of him from 3 different cameras. The ring doorbell, and two other cameras on the front of my house, even got his license plate. I called the PD and they weren’t too interested until I said I took a pic of the door card he’s left seven times and had him on video on multiple attempts. They gave me a # to send the videos and door card. I got a call back in 10 minutes from the same lady at the PD stating “He’ll never come by your house again.” PD said in my city a solicitor license is required. She also said few of them even have it. So get some video of it, document it, and submit it to your local PD. That mother fucker hasn’t been back a single time.

Like you, I’m getting bent over by the great state of TX on property taxes so when you post the sign on the door, well, I think we are in agreement on this. If I didn’t have the sign up, fair game. But I do. If you ignore it, you are disrespecting me, and that’s putting it mildly. I’m paying a got damn fortune in overpriced property tax and like you, my house don’t have no fancy kitchen or bathrooms, all that shit still needs to be remodeled. And I would have done it already if it weren’t for the got damn property taxes being sky high. I cannot wait to move to my rural land where I can post a “no warning shots will be fired” sign and the sheriff is cool with it. He’s my PCP’s BIL and it’s rural so they having it anyway Razz
What really cranks my craw is I guarantee this mother fucker is pulling this shit on some elderly people around here who have panels also. There is no special sauce, soap or otherwise that panels need to clean them. Hell even if you don’t clean them, well it’s not like it’s Matt Damon stuck on Mars with a daily sandstorm covering them. That business of his, is a got damn scam and then some. I’ve left them dirty and the kwh production barely misses a beat. Thank God and Jesus for ArcWelder on here too that gave me the idea. All props to him. Next year will be year 10 with them and in that time they will have saved me somewhere north of $20,000.

I’m to the point now where I’m just going to answer the door the next time someone ignores the sign with an OWB rig. They can call the PD and claim whatever they want. “Oh he pointed it at me blah”. I don’t think so, cameras will capture every millisecond and the PD is welcome to come inside and watch the DVR footage with me.

Get off my fucking lawn!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12794 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang a bucket above the door with a rope or mechanism going inside - doesn't have to have anything in it.

Trigger it when they come to the door and watch them run.

Posts: 2792 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I also have the no soliciting sign, which is ritually ignored. My 120 lb rottweiler loves to answer the door with me, seems to take care of things quite fast. Delivery guy came the other day, saw her and left so fast I had to laugh. Little do they know she is a scaredy dog, just looks and sounds tough!

Posts: 805 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:
I also have the no soliciting sign, which is ritually ignored. My 120 lb rottweiler loves to answer the door with me, seems to take care of things quite fast. Delivery guy came the other day, saw her and left so fast I had to laugh. Little do they know she is a scaredy dog, just looks and sounds tough!

We very rarely have solicitors where we live now but in south Florida it happened often enough to be annoying. Our Akita had the same preference of standing beside the wife when she answered the door, which usually kept the sales pitch brief.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1953 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
There are 5 of us in my neighborhood that have made the unwanted solicitations a fun game for us.

If one comes to any of our home we say no I'm not interested but my buddy Carlos across the street is and point to the house. They leave and go there. He answers and says no I'm not interested but my buddy Kevin is and points to the house. He leaves and goes there... you get the point.

We send their asses all around the neighborhood in the FL heat from house to house knocking their hands off and we get a good laugh out of it together in the front yards most of time while they're walking off.

This started with just myself and my buddy Carlos across the street. We're up to 5 homes now and growing. I always say go to this house and tell him Kevin sent you so my buddy always knows what to do. HILARIOUS! for us, not so much for the hot and tired door knocking unwanted solicitor.

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 616 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My signs:

They seem to be working.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
A fair bet that half the people knocking don't know what the word means.

Yup. I would make my own sign, We Do Not Want Your Business. But then, there will always be the illiterate. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27155 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When I get one, I ask "Can you speak English?"

The idiot usually says "Yes."

Then I ask "Can you read English?"

The idiot usually says "Yes."

I then ask "What does this say?" (pointing at my "NO SOLICITORS" sign).

I follow that quickly with "If you can't read and understand English, you aren't working on my home. Get the fuck out of here."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31801 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had some not too long ago, religious, I'm assuming.
3 ladies.

One pointed at the No Solicitors sign, laughed & range the bell anyway
Waited a moment, "do you want to try knocking?", then loudly knocked on the door.

We were out back in the pool, so I wasn't interested in answering the door.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15730 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
As soon as I read "you should have offered him some water", my immediate thought was this:

Come around the side the side of the house, holler and ask if they want some water. If they say yes, reappear with a water hose and give them a good soaking.

I would definitely do this to a repeat offender such as prefontaine discussed.

Posts: 7332 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post