SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Seriously Dislike Solicitors Who Ignore a No Soliciting Sign Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
Inches from my doorbell I have a “No Soliciting” sign. There is no way to miss it. It never fails that people still both knock on the door and ring the doorbell who are soliciting. I normally don’t answer the door or even go to it and know they were a solicitor because they left a card. I will watch my camera system to make sure it is not a setup for a home invasion.

My wife went on a walk a while ago and sometimes she forgets her key. A little bit ago there was a quick multiple knocks on the door and multiple doorbell rings. I figured my wife forgot her key again. In the evening I enjoy playing my Xbox and quickly abandoned the game to run to the front door to let her in. We own birds so we have curtains hung at the front door to prevent them from flying out when we open the door.

As I got to the door I accidentally stepped on the curtain ripping the whole thing down only to answer the door to a freaking solicitor asking if I wanted my house painted, do I want my house painted in the future, do I know of anyone who wants their house painted, would I like a business card, etc!!!! I was pissed and pointed out the No Soliciting sign which she said she did not see. Now I have to set the curtains back up. I hate solicitors who do not respect signs. Mad

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A fair bet that half the people knocking don't know what the word means.

Posts: 21248 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have a sign up front in the neighborhood that says no solicitors, and we still get some, solar, painters, yard work, etc.

I just tell them there is a sign up front that states no soliciting, and when I get the "didn't see it lie" just explain, that "well you are on private roads, not city roads in here, which means ignoring it is Trespassing, and some neighbors take it seriously and will call local pd on them", some leave, other continue.

Posts: 23954 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
signage as one enters the hoa prohibits soliciting....politicians always the 1st to say'''''''''''" but it's ok"!!

Posts: 2244 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
A fair bet that half the people knocking don't know what the word means.

100% agree. I normally would not have even gotten up if I didn’t think it was my wife.

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
signage as one enters the hoa prohibits soliciting....politicians always the 1st to say'''''''''''" but it's ok"!!

In my town a solicitor has to register with the city and wear a lanyard showing they were registered and approved. Of course 100% of the solicitors don’t register and the city doesn’t do anything.

posted Hide Post
A huge benefit of my neighborhood is that we have our own police (not security) and they will happily enforce the no solicitors rule.

Posts: 745 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Mine staves off most of them. At least 90%. The ones that ignore my sign, I just reach my hand out, barely cracking the door, point at the sign next to the door handle and say “Get off my property or I’ll call the Police” and close the door. I don’t give them a chance to even speak. Irritates the shit out of me too. I don’t carry the phone around with me in the house but if I have it or the tablet near by I’ll bring up the ring app on the front door, enable mic, and start cussing at them “Fuck off my property” etc. Roofers, window salesmen, solar (I have 35 panels on the back part of the house), always peddling some bullshit. Then the calls “We are in your neighborhood today doing X and wanted to know if you’re interested” fuck no I’m not. My house is my only refuge to this very vile world and you come here, with a posted sign and fuck with me? Well I’m going to fuck with you back, and curse at you for being on my property which I pay hefty tax on and bothering me. Can’t wait to move rural. Already bought my fucking property. And out there the sheriff ain’t going to bother with some complaint about me point a shotgun at trespassers. Living for that move day.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12794 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I took down my no soliciting sign and replaced it with did I invite you?

If they do ring the doorbell, I just look at the camera and if I have to sign for something, I'll tell them I'm on my way. If it's not a delivery, I just ignore them. At the second ring, if the second floor deck door is open, my dog will go outside and just stare.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just where I live but I've only had 1 maybe 2 solicitors show up at my house in my life. Yet it seems like it's a common problem everywhere else.

Not saying it doesn't happen I just find it interesting.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's because it is. Soliciting is selling something or asking for donations. What the politicians are doing is called canvassing, and is Constitutionally protected. You as a homeowner can ban it on your private property, but your HOA can not.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15807 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
selling something or asking for donations.

Politicians are doing both! Big Grin

Posts: 21248 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Some solicitors are actually instructed to ignore a No Solicitors sign, as they are sometimes put up to protect someone with low sales resistance and this could be your big score.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16676 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Some solicitors are actually instructed to ignore a No Solicitors sign, as they are sometimes put up to protect someone with low sales resistance and this could be your big score.

I wouldn’t doubt it. Complete opposite for me. I have the sign up to try and reduce how much of an ass I can be to someone. I was happy to see yesterday a solicitor from an electric company approached my door, saw the sign, and walked away.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

This is true. I run in-home appointments for final expense insurance. Every single one of my appts is set because someone mailed in a card, asking me to contact them. If I can't read their handwriting in the phone number box, they go on my door knock list, which I really only bother with when an appointment no-shows me. I have an hour to kill, so why not? I have the person's handwritten card, asking me to contact them. In over four years of doing this I've seen thousands of "no soliciting" signs and some way more threatening. Not a single time has someone said to me, "Can't you see this sign?" or something along those lines. Not once.

My two biggest customers were door knocks, both had "so soliciting" signs, Ring doorbells and one of them was even a wrong address. I have made more money from those two families than the annual salary of my first job out of college. So don't think those signs are going to deter the pros.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-MG

Posts: 2145 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Before they can say a word:

Where the hell have you been? Did you bring the tarps and duct tape?

We’ve got to get rid of the dead midgets right now!

Posts: 11948 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I would have taken their business card, then after receiving it I would inform them that I will be posting it all over social media that this person/company does not respect "no soliciting" signs and I cannot recommend them due to their lack of professionalism.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4559 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I talk to them through the door. Generally makes them visibly uncomfortable. I like that. When you've decided you're done, you can just stop talking and watch them wonder if you've gone away or not for extra awkwardness. Had some try to get me to open the door, I tell them "Oh, I can see you fine." Had one tell me he wouldn't talk to me through the door, so I told him "Well, I don't open the door for people I don't know, so we find ourselves at an impasse." He didn't know what to say and gave up.

Posts: 17451 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Just go all Jehovah's witness on them. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3781 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post