SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting power run to an outbuilding - what a hassle.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting power run to an outbuilding - what a hassle. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
After going through the PUC to get the utility company to even respond to me, the planner said a mast mounted on the building would be sufficient.

My electrician was aghast at the size of the mast recommended, but was lining up materials.

The line truck just showed up for a pre-inspection and said "I can't believe they authorized a mast for that long of a run. It'll have to be guyed at the very least and that's still going to be sketchy."

So now I'm back to having a pole set. Potential good news is the driver said a co-worker sets poles on the side, my electrician knows the guy and he's supposed to be in the area on another job next week, so maybe...JUST MAYBE...I can get something done before snow flies.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is really that shocking! Big Grin

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you didn't put any resistance and stay well grounded with your plans.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to keep you guys current.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to revolt!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You gotta stay positive in these situations.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you are amped at the prospect of having power in your outbuilding though.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It's too bad the PUC and the ground crew were out of phase.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
ohm y goodness.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Putting a pole up sounds smart though, you don't want anyone to get hertz.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, it is refreshing to see something being done about electron fraud.

posted Hide Post
Looks like you are getting gaslight-ed.

Posts: 518 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just be careful that your project does not get short circuited. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
These projects need to be done in three phases:

Planning
Permitting
Electrocution

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Can't bury?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Can't bury?

Pole to building is "free". Buried, I have to buy the wire. Direct burial wire for 100 amp service over 200 feet is seriously expensive.

Due to heat dissipation issues, direct burial wire is larger gauge than free air for the same rating.

Plus, of course, the cost of digging and back-filling the trench.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well you certainly going to a lot of time and effort in order to inconvenience a bunch of electrons.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Can't bury?

That's the alternating way, he wants a direct way. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
…before snow flies.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope this post wont Generate any more word play. I am in the same situation. Where I only need power while actually in the building I am looking at a generator to power the outbuilding . May be cheaper than a power line.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post