SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Micro compacts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Micro compacts Login/Join 
Picture of xaircav
posted
This trend of buying a micro compact then adding accoutrements like optics and lights then sticking down your pants pointing at your boys mystifies me.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is your issue micro compacts, appendix carry, or adding optics/wml?

On the flip side I don’t understand your mystification. Guys who add optics and wml’s would do so with their bigger carry guns so they do it with their smaller carry guns as well. Smaller footprint.

If you don’t like appendix carry I would ask why? It has many advantages. “Pointing at your boys” doesn’t seem like a well thought out disadvantage.

I don’t use a light on my carry gun but I do have one carry gun with an optic. Once you put it on I couldn’t tell you if it had an optic on it or not. It carries identically. Same holster, these new optics are tiny and very light. I can hit stuff from close in to 50 (I haven’t tried further) yards with a better hit ratio than irons. What’s not to love?

Different strokes. People like what they like. It shouldn’t mystify you though. All those things have quantifiable qualities even if they aren’t for you.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Even though my boys get little use these days I prefer not to have a pistol pointed at them regardless of whether it is mine or someone elses

the whole point it would seem with a micro carry pistol would be to conceal it and have less to carry and worry about... tacking on extra tactical items seems kind of defeating the purpose.

Obviously I agree with the OP... but y'all know what they say about opinions? And I've been known to actually be one on occasion ...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and me both brother. lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have the need to pocket carry, it was a PM9 for a long time and then the 365 came about. 6 vs 10 rounds and being the same size was a no brainer

I bought a 365X a few weeks ago, why? Because it was $300, money in the bank. Putting lights and red dots on these is stupid

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well at least we got that resolved. Lol

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just because someone is carrying a micro compact doesn’t mean they want the absolute smallest footprint possible. As pedropcola points out, adding lights and optics to a micro compact does increase the footprint but it’s still smaller than a comparable compact with lights and optics on it.

I like a light on my carry gun. I carry a compact Beretta 92x with a TLR-7a on it. There is absolutely zero noticeable difference between carrying the gun with or without the light. I used to carry a full-size Beretta 92fs and I can tell you there’s a very noticeable difference between the compact and the full-size. So yeah, I’ve marginally increased the size of my pistol with a light, but I’m still seeing advantages to the smaller gun. The same would be true if I switched to a micro compact and put a light on it.

There are times that I value concealment over everything so then I do want the absolute smallest footprint. In that case my P365 without any attachments would be a good choice.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I bought a Seecamp .32acp. A couple of rounds from that little stainless pistol had me believing this is NOT a range gun.

Imagine the violent recoil from a Seecamp .380.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It’s dark half the time and red dots give you a single focusing plane. Arguing against weapon lights and red dots is insane.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the OP 100%.Recently bought a 365 SAS. Carry it in the winter in a leather OWB holster. Come Summer it will be in a pocket holster. It's a last ditch effort point and shoot gun. Adding expended mags, optics, etc defeats the purpose.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P365 micro compact. Let's add the reflex sight. But, don't forget that threaded barrel and compensator. But wait, must stick on that "Plus 5" mag extended base pad. Did I get everything? ........Of course, the all important light and laser... Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the chuckles, you can turn a micro compact into something G19 size. That is the silly side of this capability.

Once you talk seriously though it becomes apparent that lots of you guys haven’t actually tried what you are mocking.

If you shut your eyes and I handed you 2 identical holsters with 2 identical 365’s but one of them had a Holosun installed, you couldn’t tell them apart. I’ve done this multiple times with multiple holsters. The optic is tiny, it weighs 1 (one) ounce. It barely extends past the molded kydex on my G Code holsters. You would be a unique person to be able to discern one ounce. That is a pencil.

So for a device that when I put on my appendix holster and couldn’t even begin to tell you if it had an optic or not, I get all the added performance of an optic. I shoot just as well up close and I shoot way better and more accurately as you roll out any distance. It is almost the proverbial free lunch.

We can muddy the water with stuff like threaded barrels and extended mags but that’s all it is, muddying the water.

Anybody can carry whatever they want but hereis my favorite carry. A standard size 365. Magguts making it 12+1. G Code holster. Holosun 507k. Tiny package. 12+1 that I can range (tested) easily out from handshake distance to 50 yards if needed. (Probably more but I haven’t gone past that). As for extended mag? Hell yea. A Macro mag with the Sig supplied baseplate that fits the standard 365 for a 17 round reload in my pocket. It works for me and it’s a solid choice for anyone.

I don’t do lights on my carry but that is a personal choice because I don’t want to lock myself into a holster/light combo that I can’t change. So I carry a small handheld.

Red dots are a great multiplier. Certainly you can do without but they make lots of your gunplay better for zero increase in practical footprint and one ounce of weight. Try it, you might like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

posted Hide Post
If you go to the Reddit Sig page this is 90% of the guns you see.

A p365 with the exact same light and red dot. Sometimes they might get wild and even add a suppressor. Then scream it carries just like stock. Yeah ok buddy.

I quit going there it's the same thing every day.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm am iron sight on rifle and point shoot a handgun or shotgun kind of guy. Most defensive shootings take place at 15 feet or less. At that distance you don't have TIME to look at a sight or red dot, you need to pull that gun and start making hits until your assailant stops making aggressive movements towards you.

For those who don't think it's possible to hit well by point shooting at that distance, spend some time at the range with black electrical tape covering your sights.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My P365 is till the original model with no add-on.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Last time I went to the range, I shot two handguns, a G20 and a PM9. G20 with stock sights and PM9 with faded factory night sights.

Was shooting both equally well, right through the same ragged hole. It was the first time I had shot the PM9 in a few years.

Fundamentals are fundamentals.

Red dots are nifty and I'd like to try a pistol with one, but irons do the job. I could see having a light on the G20 as it's huge anyway, but not on something as lithe as a micro.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all respect that is because you can’t break the paradigm in your head. Mechanically that micro is just as accurate as any of your guns. It gets robbed of velocity due to a short barrel but accuracy is unaffected.

There are a ton of guys pushing back who “would like to try a reddot” but are absolutely convinced it’s not necessary, game changer, helpful, useful, pick your adjective. Not all, some have tried and just don’t warm to it which is different.

I’m glad you can shoot a ragged hole. How far out? From what positions? In what lighting? Etc. I ask because the dot helps with all those things. Whatever range you start declining in accuracy, the dot will add quite a bit more range to that number. Why? Because it’s magic. Lol. No, it’s not magic, it is physiology though. Your eye doesn’t have to try to focus on one plane while simultaneously still needing two other planes at the same time. Look at it shoot it.

As for size. These threads always get derailed by the outrageous. The tiny gun that has every accessory known to man strapped to it with the biggest magazine you can find with a gaudy golden threaded barrel and that is the focal point. What the discussion should focus on is what do you currently carry? Do you carry with a light, or an optic or both? When you go micro add the micro version of what you carry now. The lights and optics are smaller than their bigger brothers. If you have never tried an optic, times have never been better. 1(one) ounce of weight and negligible size. Go pick one of these up. It’s like holding a baby mouse, they are tiny.

Find a friend who has one. Shoot it. Shoot it up close, shoot it at distance. Wear it around for a day. Then come back and tell how that extra size and weight was the turnoff. I won’t hold my breath because no one can discern one ounce. And you can pop a target at way out there range that I guarantee you personally can’t do with irons. Everyone shoots at distance more accurately. That is a fact that you can’t argue, the human eye works better with an optic than 3 planes of iron sight use.

I wish you naysayers were local, I would let you try out an optic on a standard 365. It makes the gun capable of anything the round is capable of.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just realize people are different. Some obviously think this trend is silly, and stupid, others think it’s the new jam. Do what you like with your own money and quit trying to tell others what to do with theirs.

I skipped the “micro” segment altogether. Subcompact double stack with a full size reload. HD’s, carry light, and I’m good. Hammers only too. I’ll be over here parked by the Model T.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
@pedropcola, all my point was is my pm9 is my pocket pistol, and it can be shot as well as a full size within a reasonable SD distance. I doubt it would ride in the pocket as neatly with a light and RDS.

I am not denying the advantages a light RDS can provide.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I apologize. My comments should have been directed to the people who refuse to acknowledge that optics on pistols aren’t a fad, aren’t going away, and basically improve shooting accuracy as distance increases.

My angst isn’t whether anybody uses dots. I could care less. My angst is people who haven’t even tried to use a dot have big opinions on their value. This isn’t like saying zev is a fancy Glock. Whether you’ve handled/shot a Zev you get the general idea. If you haven’t given dots a legitimate shot people have no idea what it could do for them. That’s when the stupid jokes about the micro Macro Mega 365 Fusion Nighthawk Scorpion start and the internet wins again because facts die in a blaze of jokes and memes. Which I usually partake in so I’m guilty too. Lol

If you were close I would 8nvite you to try it on a micro. Maybe you would hate it. Maybe not. Threads like this though won’t age well. Optics are guaranteed to get better and become more common. I wish I could buy stock in them.