SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NEW PHONE (PHONE FROM HELL)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW PHONE (PHONE FROM HELL) Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
Sprint and T Mobil merged or what ever, So had to get new phone which I was happy with my old flip phone.
Was informed my phone was out dated and had to be replaced.
I am a old guy kinda set in my ways.
So received new phone, no instructions,only on web.
Darn thing you need a Doctors Degree to work it.
Go thru all the B S to send photos just a piece of crap.
Contacted Company, they tell me any 5 year old can use it.
Told them all I wanted was to use my old phone, did not make a scene left store even more upset.
Guess I am stuck with it, unless I can find a Company that will let me keep my old phone.
Feel better just letting people know what a piece of shit that phone is.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Chances are your old phone was 3g, which won't work. Guess you could get a Jitter Bug Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a teenager and pay him a few bucks. They will have you up and running in no time. Make a list of what you use your phone for and do that first and foremost.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Did they make you buy a new phone, or gave you a replacement free of charge? My dad is facing a similar situation with TMobile.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The phone isn't a piece of shit. It just isn't the phone you want.

ZSMICHAEL is right. Anyone under 30 can teach you what you need to know in an hour or so. And I bet you'll like some of the new capabilities.

I don't know what to suggest if you want to keep the old one. At some point, it will be actually unable to be used, so maybe now is the time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:
Sprint and T Mobil merged or what ever, So had to get new phone which I was happy with my old flip phone.
T-Mobile bought Sprint. (Somebody was going to. Sprint was failing.)

That's not what required your old phone be replaced. What necessitated it was...

quote:
Was informed my phone was out dated and had to be replaced.
This ^^^^^

Your old flip phone was no doubt on the 3G (3rd Generation) cellular network. They're turning 3G networks off to make way for new technology.

quote:
I am a old guy kinda set in my ways.
I'm an old-ish guy, and tended to dislike change even before I was an old-ish guy, so I understand. But the fact is you either have to move with changes in technology or get run over by them.

quote:
So received new phone, no instructions,only on web.
So use the web? Or have you no Internet access or something with which to access it?

quote:
Darn thing you need a Doctors Degree to work it.
One step at a time, my friend, one step at a time. First learn how to use it as a phone. Worry about all the modern, high-tech, whiz-bang stuff later Smile

quote:
Go thru all the B S to send photos just a piece of crap.
Maybe it's a piece of crap and maybe it's not. I think the problem here is you're completely unfamiliar with it. And, yes: They are complicated, compared to a flip phone.

The flip phone was complicated compared to an old rotary dial phone, which was complicated compared to just picking up the receiver and "Mabel, please connect me to Joe's Hardware." Smile

quote:
Guess I am stuck with it, unless I can find a Company that will let me keep my old phone.
Ain't gonna happen.

quote:
Feel better just letting people know what a piece of shit that phone is.
While I can certainly sympathize with the joy of venting, I'm guessing you still want a usable phone.

Perhaps find a young whipper-snapper to help you through it, or ask us here on SF. I'm sure there will be plenty here that can guide you to, if not phone nirvana, at least phone tolerance Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm an owners manual kind of guy.

But now a days, the aim is to make things "INTUITIVE."

To figure out how you want to do whatever it is you want to do with your phone, you have to think how would a brainless liberal do whatever it is you want to do with your phone.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Being an Official Old Guy, I like dead tree owner's manuals, too. But I read them once, then tend to misplace them.

So what I do now is hunt-down the owner's manuals on-line, download them (in PDF), and store them in a well-known place on our home network server.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Being an Official Old Guy, I like dead tree owner's manuals, too. But I read them once, then tend to misplace them.

So what I do now is hunt-down the owner's manuals on-line, download them (in PDF), and store them in a well-known place on our home network server.

Yep. I download or scan into pdf files. I store them in a folder that's backed up and I also print them to OneNote and attach a copy of the pdf file to the same note so that I can read it on any device I have OneNote.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I heard the same from an old fella at work (70+) when he was burdened with a new iPhone.
Then he started asking questions of us “young fellas”. Before long he was texting and sending emails. Then he found out he could view his security cameras remotely.

He retired several months ago and we still get text messages (complete with gifs) on a regular basis.

Give it time. The only constant, is change.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

To figure out how you want to do whatever it is you want to do with your phone, you have to think how would a brainless liberal do whatever it is you want to do with your phone.

Yay, politics in a thread about phones!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
My 77 year old tech illiterate mother-in-law got her first smart phone a number of years ago. It was a basic Samsung J7 (or something like that). Just a few months ago, I upgraded her to an iPhone.

Her carrier is consumer cellular. They are geared towards old people specifically, and their website features some of the best short, phone-specific instructional videos I have ever seen, also geared towards old people.

I don’t believe that they’re behind any account walls, so you might pop over there and see if you can find their instructional videos for your particular phone.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Yay, politics in a thread about phones!

I wasn't making a political statement. It's actual advice on how technical designers think how intuition works. You don't know the profile of the average Silicon Valley worker and their ideal end user???

posted Hide Post
I am an old school guy, too.
I am with Verizon.

Current phone: An Alcatel flip phone on 4G network.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Had to get new phone it did not cost, sent me the first, could not send photos to my email, second one ICCH.
Did get my computer smart daughter and grand daughter to help, just got me more confused.
I can send my fish photos to my email, otherwise can do basics, but this phone you can get on internet and all that shit.
Went from simple to high blood pressure.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
I needed a good laugh. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I can sympathize with the OP, even though my experience is slightly different. I had smartphones for almost 12 years before I switched to a basic "dumb" phone two years ago, a Sonim XP5 on the LTE/4G network. I just simply got tired and really annoyed with the smartphone experience. I only need voice calling, texting, and taking an occasional low-res photo (I have a dedicated camera for real photos) to text to people. I have no data or wi fi on my phone.

But it sounds like you want email access, either thru data or wi fi, something my phone is not wired for, nor do I want it. I don't know if you have a smartphone or a newer flip phone, you did not indicate that. If you only require voice and text, the current flip phones are great for that.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to get new phone it did not cost, sent me the first, could not send photos to my email, second one ICCH.
Did get my computer smart daughter and grand daughter to help, just got me more confused.
I can send my fish photos to my email, otherwise can do basics, but this phone you can get on internet and all that shit.
Went from simple to high blood pressure

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Learn one task at a time and go from there. Remember it took time to learn how to clean and fire your guns.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
This thread demonstrates what I mentioned in another thread a while back.

If you don't keep up with technology, you'll get run over. It's much easier to learn a little here and there on a continuous basis than it is to go 5 years or so learning nothing, and then trying to jump in and learn it all at once.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post