SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NEW PHONE (PHONE FROM HELL)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW PHONE (PHONE FROM HELL) Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, schrack.

I had to replace my flip phone for the same reason. I can't look at my "smart phone" from across the room that an app or two will pop up. The flashlight comes on for no known reason, the phone will just start entering a huge string of numbers. Worst of all, I no longer have an excuse not to text back to people where I never had to before. I thought we had phones to talk to people.

Yeah, it's all on me and my resistance to these unnecessary devices. There are far superior ways to interact with the interwebs.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
One of the things my phone will do is suddenly expand the text message font to HUGE - and there is very little online to explain it. Spent two hours one day flipping thru sites online before someone had the suggestion. Most online resources just copypaste the menu from an expensive model as it all the lineup uses that exact same instruction set for them all. No, there is no specific Font Size submenu in mine. None.

It's a pinch or spread with two fingers. Undocumented. Since I don't use any other touch screen, no, it's not intuitive.

Timex made a large screen watch that did the 4 sensor thing, amazing value, vibe alarm, and intuitive programming. It died and they haven't gone back. There was no known method to get the barometric pressure to zero out - hey, sitting on the beach should be a possibility, right? It would have been fun to watch it change going back thru the Boston Mountains. But, no, no instruction set was ever released, and that killed it just as the ABC watch thing was taking off.

Whats intuitive about instructions is how they are based on already accepted concepts that are the primary methods of use. You want to load a firearm, pushing down on then rear sight to lock it back and then push the trigger forward to release the mag isn't "intuitive." Ask HK how intuitive the P7 was for the general public. IIRC the NJ State Police issued it but it was more an accessory for the outfit - black boots to the knee, etc.

When I hear intuitive now I expect it to be obtuse in a few areas - and if new words are used to describe a function then it's not intuitive, it's generationally focused and its going to be prone to a short market life. Keep in mind we can't decide on magazine or clip, we've added grip units, grips are more often two slabs of wood, and have refused to accept a slide mounted safety which frequently operates in the reverse. If handguns aren't intuitive no phone ever will be - and the makers point is to capture you by being familiar with their instruction set, you're more prone to get their product again because the next one works mostly the same. We even push that at a good thing - nobody's goofing around with the controls on an AR15 and selling more because of it, they stay the same and we get another one because they did. 1911's, Glocks whatever. No slide lock rear sights or mag release trigger forwards.

When computers came out they were wildly different - I had an Amstrad for a while - but what dominated the scene was the IBM clone. No matter what size or accessories, the box responded to the same commands. Phone makers playing around with new menu sets don't work, Microsoft figured that out with WIN 8, a massive disaster which should have never been released.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Barometric pressure will only zero out where there is no air...like outer space.

When computers first became mainstream I was the go to guy at work to show people how to work them because IT didn't exist yet.

And one thing they'd always say when I went to fix one of them was "I didn't touch it, I didn't do anything."

So I'd say, "so you were just siting there with your arms crossed and it did it all by itself?"

Fortunately, none of them ever said "yes, that's what happened" because they knew I'd call B.S. on them.

These things don't happen by themselves, someone does it and doesn't realize what they did.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had Tracfone’s and they said select new ones as ours were obsolete. When I went on the website they only had smart type phones so that’s what I got. When I set it up I didn’t enable anything, no WiFi, no internet. Deleted as many things as I could and moved as much as I could off the screen. Now all it is is a telephone, nothing else. It stays in my car, turned off and I only turn it on for an emergency.

When I then replaced my wife’s they had a flip phone in the selection and that’s what she wanted. Same story, in her purse, turned off, just there for emergencies. I can’t remember the last time either of us have had to use the phone.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to have to turn the crank to start you geezer's cars.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some of you sure are proud Luddites.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Guess he does not have a Tik Tok account.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Let me add another to my list of reasons to hate smart phones -- Pictures! I dread someone with a picture to show, watching them whizz scroll through a million pics to find that blurry one of a coyote somewhere in the shadows. God forbid there is an actually good picture, who wants to see it on a phone?! A decent image deserves so much better. Keep your pix to yourself please.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I gave up my flip phone I went to Apple. Great thing about Apple is that when you call customer service you get a live human being that actually knows the device. Another great thing is wait times are short, usually under 5 minutes. So if I can't figure something out I just call up Apple and ask. Now I use an XR and will probably upgrade when the apple 14 rolls out.

Note I have a thing about the number 13 and still wonder why Apple would release an Iphone 13. Don't people know if you are carrying an Iphone 13 a giant phone book is going to fall out of the sky and smash you flat like a housefly?

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
When I gave up my flip phone I went to Apple. Great thing about Apple is that when you call customer service you get a live human being that actually knows the device. Another great thing is wait times are short, usually under 5 minutes. So if I can't figure something out I just call up Apple and ask. Now I use an XR and will probably upgrade when the apple 14 rolls out.

Note I have a thing about the number 13 and still wonder why Apple would release an Iphone 13. Don't people know if you are carrying an Iphone 13 a giant phone book is going to fall out of the sky and smash you flat like a housefly?

13 is my lucky number. Perhaps I should get an iPhone 13 but I'll probably wait for the 14.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post