SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
This is probably the first time I’m really upset about something in my new marriage. My wife kept saying she was going to add me to her JetBlue credit card. I kept saying not too. I don’t need it. No reason etc. she thought it would be good for me to have for some reason.

We don’t carry balances but we differ in that I pay off my balances before statement dates. This leaves my credit utilization at 0% and my credit score at 815ish. She pays full balance when getting the statement.

So I get this card I didn’t want and suddenly there’s a $7K balance on my credit and my score drops almost 50 points. I worked very hard after my divorce to get my credit fixed. So I’m pissed.

But what really makes me mad is she dismisses my being bothered and says I’m being petty. She also says since I went in the vacation that caused the 7K that I shouldn’t be mad it got my score since it hits hers too. We can disagree but just the response still has my blood boiling. Ugh. I’ll get over it but I needed to vent.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I hear you and understand.

Consider that credit score is an artificial "I love debt and access to accumulating it" score by which vendors try to figure out to whom to hustle their wares.

Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah I have no need for a great credit score. Not buying a car anytime soon. Don’t need credit cards. It’s just something I was proud of after getting divorced and being able to get debt paid and a score over 800

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Consider that credit score is an artificial "I love debt and access to accumulating it" score by which vendors try to figure out to whom to hustle their wares.

Really? I made my last car payment in January of 1979. I made my last house payment in 1994.

I paid cash for my house and cash for all vehicles I buy. I don't carry any balances on Credit Cards, but use them for cash back and pay them off in full every month.

In other words, I don't have any debt and haven't had any for around 28 years.

So how come my credit score is 830 if I love debt and don't have any?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
If you are above 750 you have excellent credit.

I am in the boat of I got free after my divorce and it is bragging rights.

It's just a number in the excellent range.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
If you are above 750 you have excellent credit.

I am in the boat of I got free after my divorce and it is bragging rights.

It's just a number in the excellent range.

Well actually it says my credit went from excellent to good. It’s 767 now.

These go to eleven.

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
I use credit karma, and they were my source.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Anything over 750 is primo, I wouldn't sweat it

It will be temporary, this is a "pick your battles" moment

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I does not matter to me if one is building a gleaming financial empire, or a sandcastle on the beach.
If someone purposefully knocks either of them over-they are a dick.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Yeah I have no need for a great credit score. Not buying a car anytime soon. Don’t need credit cards. It’s just something I was proud of after getting divorced and being able to get debt paid and a score over 800

Then what are you cryin' about? Confused

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Then what are you cryin' about? Confused

Cause his wife didn’t listen and is now dismissing his concerns.

Sounds like the marriage is going just fine Smile

As in that’s the struggle most every spouse faces.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
No matter how little or "petty" she thinks it is, if it's a concern to you she should better well respect that.
I would not be ok with that either and would be very dismayed.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I bet her score jumped up by 50 points

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
if you are not on the account and not a signor/guarantor for the account it shouldn't be listed on your credit. If its her credit card and has you as an approved user on the account where she'd extended her credit line to allow you to use it.

I have my wife on a couple of cards but she is not the main account holder, thus it's not on her credit reports.

Unless you signed something that committed you to be a co-creditor on the account, or, if it was setup that way when the second card was requested.

Sounds like you got setup as a co-owner on that account not a user...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you got setup as a co-owner on that account not a user...

Which would be a way bigger concern based on the way the OP described the chain of events and his expressed wishes.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
If any member here figures out a way to convince a woman she’s wrong and as a man your not being, petty, stubborn, insensitive or cavemanish, please let me know, and I will buy stock in your invention.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In a week or so I will have been married (to the same woman) for 40 years.
Part of the reason is that when one of us said, “That affects me personally; please don’t do it,” it was never done.
Regardless of its actual effect on anything important, I would be upset as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

If any member here figures out a way to convince a woman she’s wrong and as a man your not being, petty, stubborn, insensitive or cavemanish, please let me know, and I will buy stock in your invention.
If a man is alone in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, and the man speaks, is he still wrong?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I were afrayedknots, I would be contacting the institution and having myself removed as an authorized user.

If I found I was added as a joint cardholder, without my explicit/written consent, I would be making a ruckus with the card issuing authority.

In some cases, the authorized user can be added online or via phone (answering verification questions) by the cardholder, and adding a joint holder can be done in some cases by printing or online (e-sign) documents as it is the same as applying for credit/joint credit and the "added" needs to be credit verified.

In the first case, the cardholder is responsible for any/all charges of both themselves, and the "authorized" user, whereas a joint card account that responsibility falls on both/all joint holders.

And in case folks do not know, adding an authorized user and then not giving them the card, does not prevent them from accessing the account/funding in any manner provided by the issuer.

If a person is authorized, they can call, walk in, order, or online access/use funds, credit line, e-check, physical checks or any means that are provided by the card issuer to access/use credit, and the cardholder that authorized the person on the account is 100% liable.

(some folks think that retaining the added authorized user's card prevents them from charging anything)

[/unsolicited advice]

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As the monkey said. I can't imagine how she added you to the card, she likely added you as an authorized user, which is no different than you using her card, except it has your name one it. Unless you filled out an application, you have no duty to pay the card.

I like your wife pay after the statement is sent out. My credit score is 847. There's got to be another factor besides the timing of her payments that you aren't considering.

It sounds more like a utilization situation for her. If her card only has a $10k limit and she put $7,000 on it then it will show a higher utilization than normal and the month following paying the card off everything should be back to normal for her credit. I still don't understand how her account affects your credit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post