SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score. Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Adding an authorized user can have a significant bump to a user with poor credit score, if the account holder has good/excellent credit without causing a drop to the authorizer's score.

I did this for someone. (My score was, and maintained high 800s with no drop), before I did some checking on the issues of liability and them being able to access funds/credit, then I revoked it)

Their score went from upper 500s to high 700s just adding them about a month later.

Since the OP was added to a cardholder as an authorized user, that had a heavy load, it kicked his score in the nuts. Removing himself as an authorized user, should return his score in a month or so.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It is definitely authorized user. Wife was surprised as I was that it went on my credit. She didn’t use my social security number as far as she recalls. She doesn’t even have that number written.

She added me so I could charge household things I buy like fertilizer or hvac filters or whatever and she would pay for it.

To be perfectly clear she had good intentions. She makes about 3-4x what I make and cover more than her share. It’s just the hit to my score that bothers me. As I said, not because I need it but because I earned it.

Anyhow we just discussed it and everything is okay. She will remove me if I want. Gonna see what happens in the next few months to my score.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12428 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
She makes about 3-4x

For this swap, you could make my score zero for all I'd care! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Any chance her credit card is issued by a financial institution you already do business with, or that the two of you do business with together? Joint Bank Account? Mortgage? There's got to be a link there somewhere because if she didn't give the credit card issuer your SSN, there's NO WAY it ends up on your Credit Score!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why being an authorized user matters, as you aren't liable to the issuer for any of that debt if she were to default. But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know how the credit rating agencies do their thing.

But, this is still a very good score, and will be unlikely to affect you in any meaningful way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Any chance her credit card is issued by a financial institution you already do business with, or that the two of you do business with together? Joint Bank Account? Mortgage? There's got to be a link there somewhere because if she didn't give the credit card issuer your SSN, there's NO WAY it ends up on your Credit Score!

I was thinking that but it’s Barclays and I don’t have any Barclays I can think of. Heck I only have my Chase Amazon card and my credit union card.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12428 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...if she didn't give the credit card issuer your SSN, there's NO WAY it ends up on your Credit Score!

Not true.

Wells Fargo only requires the card holder to submit an authorized user by First, Middle Initial, Last and DOB.

They do not have to be affiliated with any of your WF accounts.

@jhe888. I believe the issue is her doing it after he told her not to, and that the score was a matter of personal accomplishment.

And I agree. It goes to "trust and respect".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well she thought I was saying no to be nice. She didn’t realize why I was saying not to. As far as social and credit I’ve been researching and some cards report authorized users and some don’t. Name and address and birth is enough

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
You and your spouse have some issues here. Different attitudes towards money. These are best ironed out sooner rather than later.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
She added me so I could charge household things I buy like fertilizer or hvac filters or whatever and she would pay for it.

To be perfectly clear she had good intentions. She makes about 3-4x what I make and cover more than her share.

...Well she thought I was saying no to be nice. She didn’t realize why I was saying not to.

This makes complete sense. She just wanted to make it easier to cover more household expenses

quote:
It’s just the hit to my score that bothers me. As I said, not because I need it but because I earned it.

Unless you had previously and explicitly told her the importance of your score as a mark of accomplishment, I very much doubt it ever crossed her mind

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You and your spouse have some issues here. Different attitudes towards money. These are best ironed out sooner rather than later.

Not sure where we differ except that sometimes I can feel a bit inferior if I need money from her for house stuff. But she always points out the amount of work I do and how the value of taking care of things far exceeds the cost of supplies. She is an awesome woman. This was more a misunderstanding.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Unless you had previously and explicitly told her the importance of your score as a mark of accomplishment, I very much doubt it ever crossed her mind

I think the issue here was more the after effect. She didn’t think it would affect my score, same as many on this thread assumed. I was more pissed at her reaction to my being upset.

These go to eleven.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Not sure where we differ except that sometimes I can feel a bit inferior if I need money from her for house stuff. But she always points out the amount of work I do and how the value of taking care of things far exceeds the cost of supplies. She is an awesome woman. This was more a misunderstanding.

That's what I'm seeing too.

You take pride in climbing out of debt. She has enough money to not fall into debt.

It should be very refreshing to have a wife who sees the value in the amount of work you put into making sure things are taken care of.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
But what really makes me mad is she dismisses my being bothered and says I’m being petty. She also says since I went in the vacation that caused the 7K that I shouldn’t be mad it got my score since it hits hers too. We can disagree but just the response still has my blood boiling. Ugh. I’ll get over it but I needed to vent.

— standing on my soapbox —

All the semantics about “authorized user” and “credit score” are for the birds. You specifically asked her not to do this; she did it anyway. That’s straight up bullshit; my girlfriend of 3+ years desperately wants to get married again. I do not. What you describe is one of many reasons.

She disrespected your wishes and owes you an apology; and a sincere one at that. It sounds like that is not what she is offering you…which is too bad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I guess the fact that she just blew off your wishes is the main thing. Or it would be to me!

Credit scores are pretty stupid. Mine dropped 20 points because I paid a card off to fast or because it was a zero balance. not sure wich. Hope to be debt free by the end of the year and I am guessing mine will plummet. I'm pretty sure you have to use credit to keep your score high

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Adding an authorized user can have a significant bump to a user with poor credit score, if the account holder has good/excellent credit without causing a drop to the authorizer's score.

I did this for someone. (My score was, and maintained high 800s with no drop), before I did some checking on the issues of liability and them being able to access funds/credit, then I revoked it)

Their score went from upper 500s to high 700s just adding them about a month later.

Since the OP was added to a cardholder as an authorized user, that had a heavy load, it kicked his score in the nuts. Removing himself as an authorized user, should return his score in a month or so.

that's exactly what happened when i was added to wife's card, score fell.

when removed from same account, score came back up.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What time is it when the new wife screws with your credit?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What time is it when the new wife screws with your credit?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
To me it’s more about both of you agreeing on financial life & spending. I’m not big on worrying about a credit score, though it does factor in with things like insurance & such in many States.

A few years ago I trimmed some cards, lowered the limits on the last two, credit score went below 800. I did it cuz my senses told me to buckle down for potential marital tensions/divorce court. Things have since turned more stable, but I left the joint cards at 2.

The biggies are usually money, sex, kids, I limit what’s worth fighting over. I don’t plan to look for a loan any time soon.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
To me it’s more about both of you agreeing on financial life & spending. I’m not big on worrying about a credit score, though it does factor in with things like insurance & such in many States.

A few years ago I trimmed some cards, lowered the limits on the last two, credit score went below 800. I did it cuz my senses told me to buckle down for potential marital tensions/divorce court. Things have since turned more stable, but I left the joint cards at 2.

The biggies are usually money, sex, kids, I limit what’s worth fighting over. I don’t plan to look for a loan any time soon.

We are 100% in agreement on financial life. Only difference is she pays balance in full when statement arrives and I pay as I go so my statement always has zero balance. Like I go on Amazon, spend $50 and then immediately go onto my credit card site and pay $50. This is just for the points. She would rather not worry about payments until the full statement and make 1 payment.

These go to eleven.