SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toasters!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toasters! Login/Join 
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Oh, you meant the mellenial's toaster. I was worried about the other kind...

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Black & Decker here. Seems to do a good job, but admittedly, my toast magically appears on a plate in front of me. My perfect toast only cost me $6,000/month for the last 31 years. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I already read this thread in the past. But when I saw the title today, I thought it was about those people who raise a glass and say a few words before everyone drinks.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m shocked how fancy schmancy toasters have become.

Now they’re called Tanning Breads.

Honk if you think that was a “Crumb-y” joke.

Big Grin

Posts: 11832 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just ran in to a space rock with 700 million dollars worth of rocket ship that was 7 light years away . . . . .
ON PURPOSE!

Which will affect pretty much a couple hundred space nerds.

But 460 million people have to baby sit their bread browning contraption.
Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54587 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I eat absolutely fresh bagels as is. But if I have more than I can eat I deal with them this way: I slice ‘em, put each slice into a zip-loc bag, and put it into the freezer. When I want one it comes out of the freezer and goes directly into my pre-heated Breville Smart Grill (BSG) for toasting.

Because they’re frozen when they hit the grill I can get the cut face dark and crispy while the interior stays chewy. Most toasters don’t toast bagels well because they’re too dense. No problem for the BSG though. Toasting time was 3-1/2 minutes. Only the cut face is toasted. Take a look:

BTW – Four pages in this thread, but the photo in this post, and in my post at the top of page 3, are the only photos of member-made toast.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8907 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I grabbed one of these when they were on sale at Costco. Works great!

I just looked again; seems that the model I got is one step up the ladder from the one pictured (Ninja makes a gazillion variations of this).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have been using a Breville BTA730XL for several years now. It still toasts as it did new.

Wide slots, for 4 pieces of toast.

Thick slots, for handling bagels.

Bagel setting, for one side toasting.

Frozen setting, for bread straight from the freezer.

Consistent results on a given setting.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10780 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
We got 2 toasters as wedding gifts (49 years ago) and they both were no good at making toast. My new wife's uncle said, "If you never use it, you will always have a new one". So maybe that's the key, never use your toaster and you will always think you have a good one. Big Grin
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
My parents had your generic cloth cord wrapped Toastmaster my entire time growing up.

I'm trying to remember how many books of S&H Green Stamps those cost.

Posts: 15879 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

My parents had your generic cloth cord wrapped Toastmaster my entire time growing up.
BOTH of those references evoke memories of The Good Old Days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Were those inferior to Gold Bond stamps?
I remember helping my grandmother stick tons of each of those into their respective books. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13481 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
My oven toaster just popped smoke a little while ago. I replaced it w/ the same model. In 5 years since I bought the last one, nothing seems to have changed. It ain't perfect but I've been happier w/ it than any other model I've had to date.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12710 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I opened a bank account and they didn't even give me a toaster-oven.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I opened a bank account and they didn't even give me a toaster-oven.

I won’t leave my bread with people who won’t give me something to toast it with.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Ok, so I've never seen the Balmuda before. The steam toasting seems interesting. $300.

I was shopping for toasters earlier this year, and this Panasonic came up repeated:

https://www.amazon.com/Panason...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Uses infrared heading elements. 8000 reviews. $150.

I needed something bigger, so no Panasonic for me. But it was close.

In the “Details” section of the Amazon description it says:

“Capacity 410 Gallons”

And you say that you need something bigger. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8907 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently picked up a highly recommended toaster from Amazon- It toasted 3 1/2 sides well, all the time.

I don't remember toasters being a problem- They just worked.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13394 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've had a Cuisinart CPT-160P for years. (Asked my wife "How long have we had this toaster?" "I dunno. Quite a while," she replied.) It's always gotten it more right than wrong.

Current version: Cuisinart CPT-160P1 2-Slice Metal Classic Toaster $46 at Amazon. Average of 4.1 out of 5 stars across five different sellers' stores.

TechGearLab sez:
quote:
The CPT-160 received average scores across the board in our toaster testing in the best toaster review. If it matches the aesthetics of your kitchen appliances perfectly then it's a good choice, as it offers reasonable performance at a reasonable price. In any other circumstances, however, there are other models (or even a top-rated toaster oven) that provide better performance at or below the same price.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hated every toaster we had, so 3 years ago my wife and I both started researching toasters... for like a month straight. Decided on the Breville 'Bit more' and it's honestly been the best toaster I've every used. It only has standard size slots (I think they do have a long slot one?) and does have a bagel setting. I've made a dozen pieces of toast in it once and the first and the last came out exactly the same. If it died today we'd buy another without a thought.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Growing up my parents had a General Mills two slice toaster, this is going back to the early 50’s. We replaced it with a GE toaster oven around ‘64 but she put it away. We moved in 70 after she remarried and subsequently moved out west.

Moving out west she pulled it out of storage and began to reuse it. Fast forward to the 80’s suddenly one day it was longer there. My mother decided that she wanted another newer toaster. I remarked “Did it finally quit?”

Well she gave it to a newly divorced neighbor who’s wife took just about everything when she moved out. I was kind of saddened, hell I’d have bought him a new one and kept the old one myself. If it hasn’t been scrapped I’d bet that it’s still working today.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8094 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post