SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toasters!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toasters! Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
Why the hell isn't there a decent toaster on the market? My parents had your generic cloth cord wrapped Toastmaster my entire time growing up. You put bread in an out came perfect toast. First slice, last slice always the same. It's only drawback was that it fit two standard slices of bread
So about a decade ago in search of a new toaster I read through the reviews on the various offerings. I wanted a long slot model that would handle oblong slices of Pam's homemade bread. I wanted a bagel setting. Cost wasn't much of a consideration. So I bought a Breville. Hated that sucker from the beginning. It could not toast 2 rounds the same. After a couple years one day it just up and died in a puff of magic smoke. Decepticons! so I took it out back to the range and shot that SOB.
Enter it's replacement, a KitchenAid. Again long slots, bagel setting. We've had it for a couple years now and no matter what setting you put it on it is never right. I just made some toast with it set on 5 and it came out pretty much as it went in. Gave it another round at the same setting and it was brown but burnt around the edges. For a C note you would think that it would work at least somewhat decently.
Why can't you buy decent stuff anymore?

And get off my lawn!

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine rant! My cheapie toaster does one thing that really pisses me off: It wont lift the toast high enough for me to remove it without toasting my fingers. Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Don't bother with a Toaster Oven. They ain't good at Toaster or Oven. Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I feel ya, Brother!

We had a Cuisinart for several years that was very nice. 4 slices, which we didn't need, but consistent, just-right toast.

I'm not sure which device cause the failure of the other, but the outlet it was plugged into and the toaster died a fiery death a couple of years ago.

We replaced it with another Cuisinart but a two-holer this time. Roughly the same (read: spendy) price. Complete, utter piece of Chinese crap. Like yours, never EVER get the same results twice on the same setting. Hell, it won't even toast both sides of ONE PIECE the same.

As much as I'd like to tune it up with a 5 pound hammer, there's nothing out there that's any better that I can find.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Bought an inexpensive Hamilton Beach toaster oven at walmart, several years back, not expecting much of a lifespan, but it was cheap and so what if it had to be replaced?

A C note at Bed, Bath, Beyond gets you just what you said, chinese junk.

So far, it's at least predictable. It won't toast bread, twice in a row, without a cool down in between. It will toast bagels, which is good.

However, I had the same experience. Grew up with a toaster that worked forever.

How this is progress is beyond me.

K.I.S.S.

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those Sunbeam Toastmasters are really good old machines. I still have and use the one my parents got for a wedding gift in 1956. The fabric covered cord and replacement plug is kind of spooky by now.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
This has vexed me for a long time. Something so common that we have gone backwards on tech wize.
Right now I'm cursed w/:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Don't bother with a Toaster Oven. They ain't good at Toaster or Oven. Frown

Posts: 7313 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe it’s sold in the US any more but the KitchenAid KMT233 I resented paying so much for several years ago turned out to be a champ and well worth the price in the long run.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked for KitchenAid toasters and one of their models - The Pro - Goes for a mere 300 bucks.
For that price, I would hope I could drive it somewhere to get toast!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I've had these exact questions. It would seem so simple to make toast predictably. Is it possible bread products are a lot more varied than back in the day? Something ain't right, that's for sure.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
KitchenAid toasters

We found one of those ~$300 ones on clearance for just under 100. If you can find one, it’s a champ.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12344 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about commercial toasters??

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sentiments exactly Brad. Been thinking this for years.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Last one was over 10yrs old when lost in flood (41 inches in home)Aug 2016. Current one Black and Decker 4 slice from Walmart but now will probably break down in the next day or two. .................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1938 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Those Sunbeam Toastmasters are really good old machines. I still have and use the one my parents got for a wedding gift in 1956. The fabric covered cord and replacement plug is kind of spooky by now.

By coincidence, the local paper this morning ran an article about a couple, who've been married since 1946. It featured a photo of them with their Sunbeam toaster, which they received as a wedding gift and are still using.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, if Appliance Brad can’t find a decent toaster, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I agree . A decent toaster is tough to find.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe Cuisinart will work - third time’s the charm?

Or maybe a simple $20 Black&Decker. Cheaper to shoot.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 300 bucks, a toaster ought to provide sex as well as toast. I'll toast bread with a cigarette lighter first.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How about commercial toasters??

I have quite a bit of experience using and purchasing commercial toasters. I haven't seen one yet that does better from the beginning of a batch to the end.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post