SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another Thread On The Frustration Of Buying A Vehicle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Thread On The Frustration Of Buying A Vehicle Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What if you were able to find a similar Edge but with less mileage? Might sound crazy but crazy shit works sometimes.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Have you contacted the Ford dealer where you bought the Edge, is your sales guy still there, maybe he will work with you.
The sales guy was too intelligent and straight-forward to last in a car sales position. I wish that he was still there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

What if you were able to find a similar Edge but with less mileage? Might sound crazy but crazy shit works sometimes.
Not as crazy as it sounds. The later ones do not have the 3.5L V-6 that is so expensive to maintain; they have a 2.0L that makes more power along with better fuel efficiency. I'll probably take a look at some this coming week.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Not as crazy as it sounds. The later ones do not have the 3.5L V-6 that is so expensive to maintain; they have a 2.0L that makes more power along with better fuel efficiency. I'll probably take a look at some this coming week.

Also available with the twin turbo 2.7V6 Cool
My problem with the newer Egde is that I feel like I sit on it, not in it.
Had an Edge ST for a loaner while my Explorer was in the shop. Quick, but not as comfortable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One of my Soldiers is 6'6" with a 36" inseam and drives a Chevy Trax. It's an economical vehicle, for sure. Maybe sit in one of those.

Otherwise, you should adjust your seat position to do the gangster lean so you can fit in pretty much any vehicle.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Otherwise, you should adjust your seat position to do the gangster lean so you can fit in pretty much any vehicle.

That only allows extra room for your upper body and head.

It doesn't change the relative position of your hips and legs. V-Tail's issue is his long legs, which if bent too far to cram into a vehicle, interfere with the steering wheel.

Gangster leaning wouldn't help with that. But it might help him look cooler while he's driving with his knees. Big Grin

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had to have the slave cylinder for the clutch in my Fiesta ST replaced under warranty I was stuck in a Nissan Kicks for 3 weeks. The very first thing I noticed is that the leg room seemed to be rather extreme, because with the seat all the way back I could just barely tippy toe the top of the gas pedal. Granted I only have a 31 inch inseam but it was a pretty long reach to me.

Downside it had that damned variable transmission that just hated to downshift. It was also lacking in power to the point where passing on a 2 lane road borders on suicide. I would guess that 40 to 70 in that small SUV was about a minute and a half and at least 20 seconds of that was waiting for that transmission to downshift. On the plus side the adaptive cruise control worked well, the ride was smooth, and it was very easy on gasoline averaging over 34 MPG in the city and 40-42 mpg on the highway.

In regards to your Edge, the only issue that comes up when I looked on google was the water pump, which must really be buried to entail 2000 dollars worth of labor to replace. There are times when I would really like to have the ability to slowly squeeze the balls of the lazy engineers who come up with this crap. There as a time when Maintenance Access was designed into most vehicles and those that didn't got a bad reputation for it and poor sales was the result. That said what I found is that your V6 is actually one of the most durable engines out there and your Edge didn't have any of the transmission issues the Focus achieved infamy with. So you just may want to consider having your water pump replaced as a preventative maintenance item and keep what you have. Because by all accounts it's good for at least 250,000 miles if well maintained. Note, do NOT go with an aftermarket water pump and make sure you get an OEM unit because the labor cost is just too high to risk going with an aftermarket pump. You may also want to check and see if changing the Timing Chain would be a good thing to do because these do not last forever and I would bet that after digging down to the water pump a timing change would be pretty easy to get to.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

In regards to your Edge, the only issue that comes up when I looked on google was the water pump, which must really be buried to entail 2000 dollars worth of labor to replace.
  1. Remove engine.

2. Replace water pump.

3. Reinstall engine.
Pump is still OK, but service shop advises me that I'm living on borrowed time. Typical life expectancy is around 100,000 miles and I'm currently at 145,000, so I need to budget that expense for this year if I keep the vehicle. Another, immediate expense is four tires. Remaining tread is 4/32" on three of them, 3/32" on one, so that needs to be done pronto. El cheapos will run around $500 out the door for four of them; decent tires will be more.

That means that I'm looking at neighborhood of three large within the year for known maintenance, plus whatever else pops up. That amount is pushing the wholesale value of the fourteen year old vehicle. Probably makes more sense to put that 3 kilobucks toward a replacement vehicle.

I'm looking at a 2018 Edge with Factory CPO Gold Warranty, 62,000 miles. 2.7L turbo, and many safety options that I do not have such as rear-view and front cameras, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, etc. More to break, but warranty covers it and provides a loaner if vehicle needs to be left overnight for warranty service. I'm thinking that it might make a lot of sense to go this way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

V-Tail's issue is his long legs, which if bent too far to cram into a vehicle, interfere with the steering wheel.
Back in 1963 when I was a young bachelor with a good job and could afford nice toys, I test-drove an E-type Jaguar. Backing it out of the parking slot at the dealer, I noticed another vehicle approaching in the traffic lane. Momentary panic while trying to move my foot from the gas to the brake and getting my knee locked against the steering wheel.

I wound up with a Porsche 356B that could have accommodated Wilt Chamberlain in the driver seat with legroom left over.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Did you ever go sit in a Colorado? I can't see there not being enough leg room for you in one

The Colorados front leg room is 45.2" and the Silverado 1500's front leg room is 44.53"

I'm 6'2" and cannot put the seat all the way back while driving

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Did you ever go sit in a Colorado? I can't see there not being enough leg room for you in one

The Colorados front leg room is 45.2" and the Silverado 1500's front leg room is 44.53"

I'm 6'2" and cannot put the seat all the way back while driving
Yes sir, I did sit in one, don't remember whether it was Canyon or Colorado, but they're the same, ¿si?

What length is your inseam, when you buy pants?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
32"

If it was a 2014 or newer I am surprised

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

32"
There's the answer. I would need five inches of seat travel, back from your position.

How much travel is there? Is there another five inches available?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There’s actually an easy solution to where he can drive anything: remove the front seat and drive from the rear seat.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Daddy Long Legs

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I hear Shaq has a few cars up for sale....

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daddy Long Legs
Si. My grandmother had a yiddish phrase that meant the same thing.

Is there an additional 5 inches of seat travel available, beyond what you need? If so, I'll schlep my narrow ass to a dealer and try again, but I'm not optimistic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I hear Shaq has a few cars up for sale....
If I had his money, I could have a car modified.

No mechanic or body shop that I have found is willing to try to relocate seat rails further aft, so the obvious solution doesn't seem to be available.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there an additional 5 inches of seat travel available

I'll check tomorrow, we have one 2022 left and the "all new" 2023's are on the way, supposed to be same leg room

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Huh, doesn't seem to be as much room as I remembered, maybe an additional inch from where I'm comfy in the seat