SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Silly moderation on another forum
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Silly moderation on another forum Login/Join 
posted
Like many of us I read other forums. I’m on the HK one and it’s a bit of a mess. It’s like a fanboy circle jerk. Lots of nonsense but some good content in there as well so I still participate a bit.

Well there’s one thread that brings up a Sig P365. No big deal. Lots of hate. “I wouldn’t trust my life to that gun” bs. “If it’s not an HK it’s not good enough”. I love HK’s but it’s still a lot. My comments are very generic that both guns bring something to the table but the Sig wins in the size category.

This guys responds that the HK P30SK is actually smaller in every dimension. My response, which I thought was pretty moderate for responding to an outright lie was to say “you are smoking crack” the Sig is smaller, significantly so, in every dimension and has a higher capacity to boot.

So I get moderated because saying you are smoking crack is apparently worse than lying about stuff. Shoot, I would tell you that you are smoking crack to your face. My comment is removed his lie stays. Lol

I know moderating is tough work but does that rise to the level of needing moderation? (I need moderation at times, yet this doesn’t seem like one of those times)(I could be wrong)

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm a moderator on 2 different boards and I would not have said or done a thing about your comments if they were on my board.

A lot of people seem to get a superiority complex when they become mods.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
He was nice about it but I pushed back a bit because I honestly think the HK forum is kind of goofy across the board. Really could care less if I got moderated or banned there. Those guys are short on practical knowledge and long on hyperbole. “My HK can turn lead into gold” nonsense. I’ve been a member there for more than a decade and don’t have 100 posts. I guess I never will.

I actually thought I was exercising restraint. One guy was chopping up baseplates on shorter 10 round P2000 mags so he could shove them into the longer mag well of a P30 instead of just buying or trading for the correct mag. Crazy stuff.

We have it really good here.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
He was nice about it but I pushed back a bit because I honestly think the HK forum is kind of goofy across the board. Really could care less if I got moderated or banned there. Those guys are short on practical knowledge and long on hyperbole. “My HK can turn lead into gold” nonsense. I’ve been a member there for more than a decade and don’t have 100 posts. I guess I never will.

I actually thought I was exercising restraint. One guy was chopping up baseplates on shorter 10 round P2000 mags so he could shove them into the longer mag well of a P30 instead of just buying or trading for the correct mag. Crazy stuff.

We have it really good here.

yeah, you're right on having it good here. I'm not good at this stuff but I've been tripping over my Richard for 16 years here and I think I've had one post deleted. I don't know why, I don't remember what it was and it doesn't bother me. I'm still up and rambling. Anyway, I agree with you.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had to have my gyro recalibrated from time to time here. It just seemed like such a minor thing to moderate. The extra icing was leaving the completely ridiculously easy to prove inaccurate post remains. huh?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know moderating is tough work but does that rise to the level of needing moderation?
Hardly

All one need do is participate in other forums to realize what a gem SIGforum is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm a mod on an automotive forum. You'd at worst get a 'verbal' slap on the wrist, for a first offense.
Repeat offenders, which are usually well known, get a bit more heavy-handed treatment.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
"My [chosen thing] is the summit of this [hobby/technical field/pastime] and I'd like a few hundred strangers to agree with me. If you disagree with me, it's because you're jealous because [chosen thing] is out of your reach."

And a few hundred strangers will agree with you, and validate that any haters who disagree are rubes, and your forum experience will be a happy one.

Want some real good times? Go onto one of a few watch (wristwatch) boards and offer that a $900 Sinn or a $1100 Christopher Edwards might be, in some respect, technologically superior to or more "horologically interesting" than a $14K Rolex. Pour a drink and pop some popcorn first, because it's not relevant that this might very well be TRUE. It's about that forum being a fanboy echo chamber.

SigForum does not have this issue, and it's one of many reasons I'm grateful that it's here.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe not "moderate-able" but you certainly could have choose your works a bit more wisely aka diplomatically.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Next thing you know they'll be loading ammo backwards in those mags....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This forum is fantastic because of one person. It’s a rare thing. Enjoy it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Navy ruined me for normal life. I don't even think saying you are smoking crack is mean. It is a mild comment in my mind. It is like saying you are off your rocker. And he was. One guy posted the pic off handgun hero where they overlay the two guns. Not even close. He was in the parlance, smoking crack.

Nope, I know how good we have it here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

A lot of people seem to get a superiority complex when they become mods.
I quit going to ARFCOM for that reason .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the much better moderation over here the other thing I find superior is the actual content and knowledge base. I read stuff over there and there is a wealth of HK knowledge. The problem is that you have to wade through the muck to get to it. The crazy over the top fan boy mentality. It feels like guys got their mom's credit card and were able to buy the same gun they use on their video game and man are they stoked! Other guns are mere shadows in comparison to what the HK Uberplatch can do. It is truly nuts. The Beretta guys are not quite as bad. Although they have gotten on a kick about silly stuff like barrel centering on a 92. I own a bunch of 92's and it never occurred to me to stare down the front of the gun and see if the barrel was perfectly centered in the slide opening. Over there you can find discussions, pictures, rants. It doesn't affect reliability or accuracy but it drives them crazy. I jokingly think it is their Sig rail wear hot button.

I think I will stay right here and make a resolution to be a better guest of myself.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
A bunch of us dudes got permanent-bant on a music forum who was monetizing their content/posts/ip. Could not say shit there, so went out and bought our own … lol. Costs are nothing lollolol

All the funny posters ended up over at the new place … lol

Capitalism brudda … for the win!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hate to see what the fanboys would say if you mentioned how awful their triggers are.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Hate to see what the fanboys would say if you mentioned how awful their triggers are.

They make excuses. I own several HK’s and they are indeed bad. The DA # is way too heavy, the trigger pull is way too long, and the reset is too long. SA is “ok”. If I buy a HK it goes straight to Robert Burke to work the trigger. Once his work is complete and some break in, they are actually pretty good triggers. At the same time I have any DA/SA triggers worked over whether it is Beretta, HK, Sig, etc.

I don’t go over to that forum any more as it is more like a cult. HK > everything else. Fanbois gonna fanboi and hate anything else. I see with vehicles too, and phones, and most everything else. Some people have a psychological issue where they marry themselves to corporations or particular consumer products.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the Navy ruined me for normal life.

As a sailor myself, you can imagine the many places my mind went to with that line.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I stopped going there a long time ago. In the early 2000s it was fun to kinda watch since the only HKs on the market were USPs, P7s, and the odd USC/SL8s that HK tried to sell during the ban. And all the conversion projects to get the USC or SL8 to look like the UMP and G36. It was an odd time. Hack up an USC to take M3 Grease Gun mags, argue over how best to dye it black, and you're good. I guess hacking parts fow HKs is still acceptable over there.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
When it comes to forums:

How is it run?
When are most of its members like?
What kind of things are tolerated & accepted there?

...are going to determine if you'll want to participate there. There are certainly a lot of people out there who don't care for SF after asking themselves the questions above. That's why other popular forums pertaining to Sigs co-exist. You go where you feel comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe not "moderate-able" but you certainly could have choose your works a bit more wisely aka diplomatically.

While I agree, "You're smoking crack," is a pretty tame insult these days, 'Attack the argument, not the person,' is advice for debating that will seldom fail you.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Report This Post