SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $100k for a GMC is standard now????? REALLY!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$100k for a GMC is standard now????? REALLY! Login/Join 
Picture of FLKev
posted
My last truck purchase was a 2017 GMC 4x4 Denali Ultimate that I paid over $70k for. At that time, I swore that would be the most I would EVER pay for a damn truck! I have loved the truck but once again I have the "itch" for another new truck.

GMC's new EV trucks are interesting and enticing so I'm considering making the stupid and poor investment of paying over $100k for this new trendy but nice EV truck.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev/pickup-trucks

It doesn't necessarily need to be an investment in my mind. I know that using these funds for this vehicle will never MAKE me money. I also know that it really has no real function above what I have now, BUT I am still thinking of doing it.

Is it marketing that I am falling for? Is it the need to just have something "NEW"? Is it just the fact that I CAN DO IT? As I've aged over the years and in my career, I've taken great pride in being debt free and making sound financial decisions and investments. Why do I keep flipping perfectly fine operating vehicles for newer ones just for the heck of it?

Who else does this knowing damn well how stupid it is?

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 552 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Hummer EV is Huge
I've only seen one so far, but it is immediately noticeable as a Hummer.

For me, I'd be more interested in the Rivian or Silverado EV, if I were in the EV market.
The Rivian seems almost a perfect sized truck, for me. Bigger than a Tacoma & a bit smaller than a Silverado/F150.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The Hummer EV is Huge

For me, I'd be more interested in the Rivian or Silverado EV, if I were in the EV market.
The Rivian seems almost a perfect sized truck, for me. Bigger than a Tacoma & a bit smaller than a Silverado/F150.

I'm a "BIG OL" country boy LoL 6'2 275. The space would be awesome! I live in FL so the beaches and lakes would be perfect for this monster truck. It's just crazy what things cost these days. I can't wrap my head around spending this kind of money for truck. My first home was $57k. Granted, that was 30 yrs ago, but 6 figures for a truck?!?!?!

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 552 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
My first home was $57k. Granted, that was 30 yrs ago, but 6 figures for a truck?!?!?!

My first home was $29K and that was more like 45 years ago in a small but rich town.

Now that house is probably selling for close to a Million.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The Hummer EV is Huge

I'm a "BIG OL" country boy LoL 6'2 275. The space would be awesome! I live in FL so the beaches and lakes would be perfect for this monster truck. It's just crazy what things cost these days. I can't wrap my head around spending this kind of money for truck. My first home was $57k. Granted, that was 30 yrs ago, but 6 figures for a truck?!?!?!

Well, in that case...
Do It! Big Grin

The Hummer would be my 4th choice, of the 5 that I'm aware of.

Rivian
Lightning
Silverado EV
Hummer EV
Just about anything else
Tesla Cybertruck

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the F-150 Lightning. As I understand it you can get a nicely appointed (Lariat) for about 70K if you can find one that is.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the F-150 Lightning. As I understand it you can get a nicely appointed (Lariat) for about 70K if you can find one that is.

:cough:
2 posts above you.
My own personal EV Truck list in order of preference.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If you can pay cash and not affect your future plans then go for it. If not you are a victim of marketing.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Working in car dealerships I still remember the first Suburban to hit the lot with a window sticker of 10k!

Yeah, that was a long time ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
If you can pay cash and not affect your future plans then go for it. If not you are a victim of marketing.

Depends on the rate when I pick it up. If it’s 2.9% or less for 24-30 months then yeah I’ll use their money and keep mine where it is.

As far as Ford goes, I’m nothing like my father that always says he would have a Ford bedroom set if they made them. I’m a Chevy/GMC guy all the way.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
~$60/month interest is not you using their money. It’s them using your money. But we just have different views on debt.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Still haven't figured out the fascination of having a cheap looking screen tacked on the dash like a J.C.Whitney special. Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, respectfully, would not tell anyone what to do with their money.

However I have gone the opposite direction. All vehicles in my driveway are straight sale, lower mileage, used car/truck/SUV purchases. As long as there are not “major” engine, transmission issues, I drive a vehicle until it’s usefulness is gone. If/when a major issue occurs, it’s sell it as is for whatever $$ value it has remaining.

Good Lord willing, I will never buy a new vehicle again.

However it’s all about what works for you.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a chevy guy that's owned nothing without a bowtie since I was 16, but the Ford. At least it looks like a real truck. Those GM options look like children's sketches and the Tesla looks like it should be used to split firewood.

That said, it's your $$$. I envy you being in the position to buy one of these $100k monsters if you are so inclined. My finances make even the $45k buy in for a base model Sierra an unlikely event. I'm currently rolling a 22 year old s10 and hating myself for looking at a Honda civic.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1970, two-bedroom house for $9300, no money down VA loan, $88 per month PITI. Scared the crap out of me.

1973, three-bedroom house, two baths, one-car garage, brand new from the builder, $17,700, no money down VA loan, $182 per month PITI, scared the crap out of me.

1999, built my last house. Drove every nail by hand. 2400 sq. ft., two-car attached garage, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, covered deck, central air conditioning. Finished it in 4 months, $73,000, 15-year mortgage, paid it off in 7 years.

2015, retired and sold the business. Wife picked out a retirement home, we paid cash $182,000. Now 7 years later the property value is pushing hard at $300,000.

All big numbers. All inflation. None of it is real in any sense of the word.

My 4-year old truck sold new for $37,000, now has 45,000 miles on it and has a NADA value of $36,000.

Wife's 7-year old car sold new for $27,000, now has 50,000 miles and a NADA value of $21,000.

Stopped by the credit union yesterday for some spending money, withdrew $500 cash. Today's purchasing power probably about $30 in 1970 money.

Today's trip to the grocery store cost me more than my 1970 house payments, and I'll do it again next week.

My VA disability compensation is about 7 times the salary I was paid as a sergeant in the US Army in Vietnam, about 30 times my monthly combat pay allowance. Purple Heart medal gets me a free set of license plates now, but it wouldn't get me a cup of coffee at Dennys 50 years ago.

Just numbers written on paper or recorded in a computer. There were computers 50 years ago, but they were in 3-story buildings at colleges or government facilities, not in our pockets on a smart-ass phone (which monitors our every movement, activity, shopping habit, etc).

Enjoy your new ride!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks those things are all hideous? And yeah, the price is outrageous. My current house cost $70k 15 years ago...the fact that common family vehicles now cost that much or more is absolutely absurd. You can't even buy a "base model" anything anymore...everything is packed full of electronics that jack the price up and eventually end up breaking long before the drivetrain falls apart.

I had a conversation with some younger guys at work the other night about looking at new vehicles, and their top priority has nothing to do with the vehicle's performance or drivability, but rather if it syncs seamlessly with their phone or not.

I apparently am completely out of touch with the market these days, but that's ok because I'm priced out of it too. I'll just keep driving my 21 year-old Silverado that I bought 11 years ago for $2800, and enjoy my am/fm radio, window cranks, and manual locks. Heck...even if money weren't a factor and I could buy whatever truck I wanted, it would look a lot more like this than anything on the new car lots right now:

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ I do believe we could be friends. I like how you think.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see your itch being scratched for several years with an EV truck. There are a backlog of reservations.

Over on a F150 forum guys are finding out their reservation number means nothing. Dealers will take your reservation but are prioritizing orders for as they see fit (most likely for paying dealer markup)

Dealer X may have 150 reservations but are only getting 3 trucks this build release.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post