SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I got a fraudulent charge on my Discover card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a fraudulent charge on my Discover card Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My Best Buy Citibank got hacked and charged $1700 to Cricket Wireless in other state.

The card rejected a legitimate online transaction because of info mismatch. I called Citibank and verified the info and found that my billing address had been changed to someplace in Texas. We changed it back to mine. Then checked pending transactions that had not shown up on the account website and found the Cricket Wireless charge.

When I called they only asked account number and last 4 of soc sec number. They did not ask address or any challenge questions. They said they use caller ID to verify you are calling from the phone listed on the account as well. So someone had enough info to change the address and place the order. Then I asked then to give me the address that had been fraudulently entered and they said they cannot give it out because of "security". Really. I told them their security sucks and they need to ask the challenge questions from now on. They said I could make a PIN code to verify identity, so I did. Funny they don't do that by default.

I called Cricket wireless and THEY couldn't give any info about the fraudster's account either. I'm like - I'm doing you a favor so you can stop ship whatever was ordered and prosecute. They weren't very interested.

I did a 3 Agency report, fraud alert, and credit freeze. No other issues have occurred.

My most used Chase Visa got a fraud charge earlier this year for about $500.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Somebody tried to buy some pretty expensive wedding supplies, thousands of dollars worth, in London, charged to my American Express card.

I informed American Express that the last time I was in London was November 1977, and it was not for a wedding.

Fortunately, American Express had checked with me prior to approving the charge because I was using the card here in Florida on the same day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My CU CC just had fraudulent charges, one over $2k. When I reported it I asked if they were going to contact the place. I was told they weren't authorized.
It's an auto-repair shop on the other side of the state and they took my name and number and I'm expecting a call back from the boss.
At the very least, it sounds like they are interested as the mechanic that answered the phone hates thieves too.
I'm not expecting anything to be done. I just have time and phone. Curious as to what they can tell me about their customer.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post