SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I got a fraudulent charge on my Discover card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a fraudulent charge on my Discover card Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Someone in San Francisco use my Discover account to order $20.80 worth of Door Dash. I'd imagine it could have been a mistake. I mean if you're going to steal a credit number, you aren't going to risk it for twenty bucks, right? I have no idea how they'd have got my card number. Does Door Dash not use the code on the back of the card?

Discover customer service, nixed the charge and is issuing a fresh card.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I doubt it was a mistake, they can buy your card number off of the internet. IME as someone who had their card number stolen, the police aren’t going to investigate no matter how much evidence you have. I don’t really blame the police either as I assume they have more important crimes to investigate, particularly in SF.

And yeah, the thief will use your card for 20 bucks worth of door dash. They likely bought dozens of numbers for pennies on the dollar. 20 bucks here and 20 bucks there adds up.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Get online and freeze the card ASAP.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean if you're going to steal a credit number, you aren't going to risk it for twenty bucks

They were testing to see if it worked.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Can you get the delivery address?

Asking for a friend.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone in San Francisco use my Discover account to order $20.80 worth of Door Das

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is so mundane. My last fraudulent charge was also from San Francisco. It was drinks at a Transgender Review. Prior to that my charge was for two tickets from Atlanta to Chicago and four thousand dollars worth of lumber at the Home Depot in Arlington Heights.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
four thousand dollars worth of lumber at the Home Depot
That's about six 2x4s and three sheets of plywood at today's prices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks needed a laugh this am.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
I mean if you're going to steal a credit number, you aren't going to risk it for twenty bucks

They were testing to see if it worked.

That's it.

I have had my credit cards compromised more times that I can recall despite being relatively careful about how I use them. More often than not the first fraudulent charge is for just a few dollars. Unless it's a huge charge or there is some other unusual factor involved, I don't believe that there is any risk to the fraudulent user other than, perhaps, the loss of a few dollars.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this was your first time? It won't be the last time.

I use a credit card just about every day, gasoline, groceries, routine purchases. This allows me to write one check every month to pay the bill instead of a dozen checks here and there. When the bill comes I always look at every charge listed, and two or three times every year there will be charges I never authorized. Call the toll-free number, follow up with written correspondence contesting the charge, and they always go away. Sometimes the bank will send me a new card and cancel out the old one.

The only thing I never receive is any report about who, or where, or what was done about it. The sheer volume of fraud in everyday commerce is beyond comprehension, much less effective enforcement action.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
So this was your first time? It won't be the last time. ...
Someone used my old debit card to pay a tax bill in England about 12 years ago. So this is my second time.

My fresh Discover card arrived yesterday and I think I've got all the recurring charges moved over to the new account. I hope I haven't forgotten any.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have mentioned this before: check out some of the credit card issuers that support Virtual Cards.

I particularly like the way that Capital One works with Virtual Cards. I use this extensively and their system is fraud-resistant.

It's really, literally, awesome.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have mentioned this before: check out some of the credit card issuers that support Virtual Cards.

I particularly like the way that Capital One works with Virtual Cards. I use this extensively and their system is fraud-resistant.

It's really, literally, awesome.

I checked with Capital One and while I have a high limit card there and have for years, it's not eligible for the program, so I'd have to apply for a new credit card to get it.

That sucks.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
That's just part of what we have to live with in the 21st century.

Good thing with credit card frauds you pretty much aren't liable for anything, you file a claim, get the funds reversed and a new card in the mail.

Still way safer than the alternative (cash, check, and god forbid a debit/ATM card).

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
That's just part of what we have to live with in the 21st century.

Good thing with credit card frauds you pretty much aren't liable for anything, you file a claim, get the funds reversed and a new card in the mail.

Still way safer than the alternative (cash, check, and god forbid a debit/ATM card).

Yep I’ve just been informed that I have been turned over to a collection fucking website in southern Texas for a goddamned $1198 past due electric bill in my name…What in the Literal Fuck is this shit???…until Biden I never even thought about this bullshit…let alone dealing with it…fuck this bullshit with the most invasive cactus in the universe Frown Frown Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sadly, credit card fraud is part of one’s financial life. To try to stay ahead of it, set up ‘alerts’ with card company. One could start with ‘card not present’ during a charge, then others.

Then of course skim through the statement somewhat. It can be hard, some of the charges have a name that’s not always obvious from where you bought from.

Another thing to do is a ‘credit freeze’, they may be up to 5 reporting agencies now. The freeze won’t do much to protect existing accounts, but it’s almost impossible for someone to claim your identity, financially.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

I’ve just been informed that I have been turned over to a collection fucking website in southern Texas for a goddamned $1198 past due electric bill in my name.
Fortunately, that's not hard to deal with.

You can download a form letter and massage it just a bit with a word processor, and send it to the collection company.

Send me an email if you can't find the form letter online, I'll send a copy to you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am confused. He left out the word fraudulent. So this is a bogus charge of 1198??

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Yep I’ve just been informed that I have been turned over to a collection fucking website in southern Texas for a goddamned $1198 past due electric bill in my name…

Really has nothing to do with credit card fraud, but is more a form of identity theft.

This is why everybody should not only freeze their credit with the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion), but also freeze their reporting with NCTUE (National Consumer Telecom & Utility Exchange) and ChexSystems.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I charge $80,000 to $100,000 every year. My card(s) get hacked about every 3 months on average. They always close the account, reverse the charges, and send me a new card. No big deal. Nothing to get the blood pressure up. No one cares. The cops don't care. The credit card companies don't care.

If I know what merchant it was used it, I usually call the security/fraud dept and let them know. They put fraud alerts on that card number and delivery address for future reference.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post