SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remember the "old days" of shopping?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember the "old days" of shopping? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I still fail to see how me carrying a coffee walking around a store affects your shopping experience.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone here remember "blue light specials" ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
There hangs in a 2nd hand store here in northern Kentucky, a original blue light from a K Mart store. What a shame that people dont mingle amongst each other shopping like we used to. I know innernet and all that. Its sad to see the local mall parking lot empty. A huge spance of black top and no cars. The local Costco seems to stay busy.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
An era long gone.

That self-service, was that a self-service check out???

I remember the Woolworth's on Powell St and Market had a tiny section near the Powell entrance of magic tricks. I bought a couple of magic tricks from there, one including balls and cups trick and Chinese string and sticks trick. As an adult, I bought a nice wooden version of the Chinese string and sticks trick.

My wife remembers when she was poor and working for Bank of America, she would buy a donut and fried chicken because it was cheap.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shopping meant walking,

I am old enough to remember pre mall purchasing.

You drove eleven blocks downtown found a parking place,
Fed the parking meter and started walking.
O.M.G. right out in the weather and everything !

Iowa city only had nine city blocks for a Down town back then,
But still that 36
Streets at 300 feet each.

About a quarter of the stores had a second floor,

I am not talking 12 steps up,
Iam talking 24 steps to climb up.

As a pre-teen I used to complain about all the cigarette smoke at the lunch counters.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You know, when people could shop without a cup of coffee. Or a bottle of water. Or a dog. Big Grin

Had to go to Target today and was struck by how odd it's become.

Until Covid happened, my local Fry's Supermarket had free Starbucks coffee and donuts on Senior day. They were just inside the entrance.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local Kroger’s has a Kro-bar. Now I can put a plastic cup holder on my cart and shop while consuming an IPA. Usually a good selection at a decent price. 1st thing to improve my shopping experience in a long time.

Posts: 205 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:

Local Kroger’s has a Kro-bar . . .shop while consuming an IPA. Usually a good selection at a decent price.
There's a small chain of meat markets (Petty's) in this area. I haven't been in for several years, but they did offer beer to sip while shopping. The price was decent: free!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Seeing how Targets put a Starbucks at the front of their stores, I think it is Target's plan to get people to drink coffee as they wander the store.

So does Fry's Supermarkets around here.

It is like capitalism works.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I still fail to see how me carrying a coffee walking around a store affects your shopping experience.
Yeah I don't get that at all. The phone has to be the most annoying thing people bring into the store. Constantly staring at a phone like it's about to give them the winning lottery numbers any second while making them oblivious to the traffic around them.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

“ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS”

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Local Kroger’s has a Kro-bar. Now I can put a plastic cup holder on my cart and shop while consuming an IPA. Usually a good selection at a decent price. 1st thing to improve my shopping experience in a long time.

Reminds me of the time we went into a Wal-Mart in Munich Germany, instead of samples of water or soda there were several beer vendors handing out samples, which we thought was great!

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago, my local Publix had a sign saying shoppers must not put their dogs in the shopping carts. It didn't seem to deter anyone.

My wife and I are dog lovers and we've had a least one all the time we've been married.

But I don't want or appreciate having someone's dog, even mine, sitting with their rear end where the next shoppers to use that cart are gonna place their grocery items.

I get some odd looks at the grocery when I pull off a big bunch of the anti-germ wipes and rub the whole cart down.

I don't care.

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to start carrying a wiffle bat with me for the shit 4 brains cell phone talkers that plug up the isles

You have that multiple islands where you live, and all are getting plugged up? Big Grin

Posts: 424 | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^Straitshooter, that is how I feel about the kiddie seat on the cart. I always wipe it down because I can’t shake the thought of someone’s crotch goblin sitting there with their day old dirty ass diaper! Frown

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
A few were talking about shopping and booze.

It wasn't that long ago that you could get a beer at a gun show here.

Posts: 18049 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me the most annoying thing about shopping at the supermarket and big box chain stores isn't that there are people in the aisles glued to their cellphones (surprisingly there's usually not all that many persons number-wise in the places we shop), but that those damn cellphones are now made into a mandatory device to have in order to get the best price that the store is offering. Having the store's app, a store online account and the ability to scan the QR code to get the best discount, which a lot of times is a reasonably tidy savings. But what an annoyance to have to go through and do.

-MG

Posts: 2014 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, when you work at the store, you are left cleaning up everyone else's crap. I do not want customers sitting their cups right next to the $300 products, allowing kids to climb all over stuff, & we did have someone's dog nip a co-worker. Yet the owners do nothing (not even signs stating no food or beverages. Yet if a product gets damaged or they spill their fancy drink on the carpet, we are not allowed to say anything to the customer that caused the damage. Who do you think pays for it in the long run, the customers so they are making the prices go up for everyone. We have to "zero out" customer damaged products all the time & have carpet stains cleaned on a regular basis. If you can't keep your drink in the car long enough to go to a store, then I'd rather you stay out, but that's just my opinion. My Momma raised me to respect other people's property. I take this kind of behavior to be disrespectful.

Posts: 4 | Location: chris@ussportstherapy.com | Registered: January 21, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
quote:
Originally posted by cpeek69:

Hi. Recommend you delete your email from the “location” area. It’s visible to the whole wide world of troublemakers. Your email should only be visible in your profile which can only be seen by logged in members here. Keeps the spammers scammers bots and other miscreants away.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
A couple of weeks ago, my local Publix had a sign saying shoppers must not put their dogs in the shopping carts. It didn't seem to deter anyone.

My wife and I are dog lovers and we've had a least one all the time we've been married.

But I don't want or appreciate having someone's dog, even mine, sitting with their rear end where the next shoppers to use that cart are gonna place their grocery items.

I get some odd looks at the grocery when I pull off a big bunch of the anti-germ wipes and rub the whole cart down.

I don't care.

Bob

Yep do the same, wipe the handle since people sneeze, cough and wipe their noses, pick their asses and push the cart, and wipe the seat area down because rug rats and pets.

So far haven't see anyone bringing a dog into our Publix, yet....

But I'm still wiping that cart...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post